ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Purpose of extra washer with Bilstein B14 (Clio 172 Ph2) rear damper?

Clio 172 Ph2
I installed the rear set of spring/dampers from my Bilstein B14 kit today and now I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

The dampers themselves seem to come assembled, with the blue plastic bit covering up a curved (as in 'not flat') washer and the bump stop.... but then there's a loose washer in the box too. Where does it go?!

It seems to fit over the rod, so that's where I put it. The lower part of the top mount then goes on top of it.

Without the washer, the lower part of the top mount doesn't slide right down the rod, it sits on a tiny lip (meaning the blue plastic bit can move up/down a few mm) - hence why I thought putting the washer between them (blue plastic / lower top mount) was a good idea.

But now it's all on, I'm left with very little thread onto which I can screw the M10 nut.

Originally, there was probably 3 or 4mm of thread extending beyond the nut, now I have none - and I've just read in another thread that someone's failed their MOT for that? :(

I was going to replace the M10 nut with a new one (like you're supposed to with these nylon lock nuts) but my M10's have the wrong thread pitch - doh! Instead, I just put some thread lock stuff in the nut.

before.jpgwasher_and_mount.jpgafter.jpg

So to anyone that's fitted B14's before, what did you do with the washer? Thanks!