ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Question on fitting Whitline ARB (tightening sway bar links)

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
A question for folks who have fitted a Whiteline ARB:

When tightening up the links that connect the end of the ARB to the shock absorber bracket, how do you know how far up to screw the lock nuts before tightening up the very top nut of the link? The instructions says to adjust the length of the links to "remove ARB pre-load but wasn't quite following what that meant. Also, is it important that both links are adjusted to exactly the same length?

Thanks

Get everything set up loose and adjust the drop links both to the same length, tighten up the drop links first, then you can finaly tighten up the U shaped studs that hold the ARB to the rear beam.
Pre-load will happen if you do the above in reverse as you have the U bolts clamped up first when you tighten the drop links they will load up the rear suspension which is what you don't want, if that makes sense.
Do about 50 miles of driving then run the spanner over all the bolts again.

Regards Russ........

A question for folks who have fitted a Whiteline ARB:

When tightening up the links that connect the end of the ARB to the shock absorber bracket, how do you know how far up to screw the lock nuts before tightening up the very top nut of the link? The instructions says to adjust the length of the links to "remove ARB pre-load but wasn't quite following what that meant. Also, is it important that both links are adjusted to exactly the same length?

Thanks

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
Get everything set up loose and adjust the drop links both to the same length, tighten up the drop links first, then you can finaly tighten up the U shaped studs that hold the ARB to the rear beam.
Pre-load will happen if you do the above in reverse as you have the U bolts clamped up first when you tighten the drop links they will load up the rear suspension which is what you don't want, if that makes sense.
Do about 50 miles of driving then run the spanner over all the bolts again.

Regards Russ........

Thanks Russ, however, what you've said not to do is exactly what I did (i.e. tighten up the u-clamp first and then the drop-links) because I didn't see a problem doing that and it seemed a logical thing to do. I ended up screwing the locks nuts all the way to the bottom and then screwed up each side by 5 turns and then just tightened everything up. Do you recommend that I slacken everything off again and tighten the u-bolts last?

Yes, I did the above and then lowered the car back onto it's wheels 1st, the only bolts I tightenend were the bolts on the shock to link bar angle, then I psositioned the the ARB as far away from the floor on it's soft and setting secured all the locking nuts, then tightened the rest down as you'll notice the angle plates sit at a certain angle dependant on the hole you use for the drop link, It may be ok what you've done as I don't know how tight the U clamps would go, when you lower it may just rotate with the weight, but it's easy to overtighten the poly bushes.

Regards Russ...........