ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Questions about front Brembos on my 197

Clio 1970000000
Went to my Renault garage to have my front pads changed. They said that the pads had 5 % life left and needed changing straight away but unfortunately had to order in the pads. They will be in on Tuesday. Normally this would not be a problem as I take the train to work. This week however I have 500-600 miles of driving to do so they won’t get done until Saturday. The car has done 38,000 and this is still the first set of front pads!!!

Was a bit worried about waiting until Saturday so I went to a tyre, exhaust and brake centre that I trust (not Kwik fit.....) who told me that the pads had 40% life left in them and did not need changing!!! They thought the callipers were sticking so said that they would take the front brakes apart, clean them and put them back together. Problem was that they could not get the locator pins out as they had seized. They got one out but bent the other one slightly and it still wouldn’t budge. They told me to order some new locator pins (have to come from main dealer) and they would do it next weekend. They also said that this will have no effect of the braking performance.

Questions:
1) Who is right about how much pad life is left? I have never had a car that has done 38,000 on a single set of front pads let alone have 40% life left. For peace of mind I am going to get them changed next Saturday anyway.
2) Will 1 slightly bent and 1 straight locator pin on one of the callipers make any difference to the braking performance?
3) If you were just having the pads changed and were not going to service the callipers, would you still need to take the locator pins out?

Thanks

RS CLIO 197
if the pads are down to the last 2-3mm (thickness of friction material) they need changing

as for the bent pin - should be ok for a short while - this is common them siezing in - i recommend having a brake strip down once a year to prevent this and also stops the pads from corroding in the caliper

to remove the pads you have to remove the 2 pins and a spring clip

hope this helps :D

Clio 1970000000
if the pads are down to the last 2-3mm (thickness of friction material) they need changing

as for the bent pin - should be ok for a short while - this is common them siezing in - i recommend having a brake strip down once a year to prevent this and also stops the pads from corroding in the caliper

to remove the pads you have to remove the 2 pins and a spring clip

hope this helps :D

Yes this does, thanks. I will call the garage on Monday to make sure that they order a set of pins as well.

Good news is that the disks are only 25% worn. What does a brake stripdown involve?

Clio 1970000000
Take the wheel off and look at the pads?

I have had the wheels off. There looks like there is some life left in them but I do not like the feel of the brakes so am going to get the pads changed anyway. It's not that I am made of money....but this is worth doing IMO

RS CLIO 197
Yes this does, thanks. I will call the garage on Monday to make sure that they order a set of pins as well.

Good news is that the disks are only 25% worn. What does a brake stripdown involve?

remove all pads - front and rear - clean fittings/mouting points - refit
on the 197 there is NO brake service specified so are left until they are worn or the brakes loose their effectiveness - then you end up having to spend extra money on siezed components

Clio 1970000000
remove all pads - front and rear - clean fittings/mouting points - refit
on the 197 there is NO brake service specified so are left until they are worn or the brakes loose their effectiveness - then you end up having to spend extra money on siezed components

Car has had new rear pads at last service 2 months ago. Will get them to service front brakes though.