ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Questions about RS tuner

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Hi guys, I've been thinking about buying an RS tuner but I don't know much about them and don't want to spend money for nothing.
( 2002 172)
What are the abs and airbags modules for?

Do I just plug it on my OBD through my computer and I'm ready to map it?

Is it even worth buying one new? Can't seem to find used ones.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
ABS module for reading faults with braking system, but particularly useful if you want to bleed the abs system as it can activate it. Airbag for fault codes with airbag system, particularly useful if you want to turn off airbag lights (after market seats and steering wheels)

you just plug it into the OBD port and your laptop yes it will read fault codes, provide data sets etc. If you want the maps you need to buy them from Henk, you will get one free I believe if you buy the unit new. If you buy a used one you will need to buy a licence and the map separately.
Hope that’s helps

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
ABS module for reading faults with braking system, but particularly useful if you want to bleed the abs system as it can activate it. Airbag for fault codes with airbag system, particularly useful if you want to turn off airbag lights (after market seats and steering wheels)

you just plug it into the OBD port and your laptop yes it will read fault codes, provide data sets etc. If you want the maps you need to buy them from Henk, you will get one free I believe if you buy the unit new. If you buy a used one you will need to buy a licence and the map separately.
Hope that’s helps
That clears up a lot, thank you.
What's an average price for a map and where do I find Henk?

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Google EFI Parts will bring them up. What are you looking to achieve via a remap? What mods have you done to your engine?
Okay, I was just thinking about putting the 98 map, my engine is bone stock as far as I know.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Okay, I was just thinking about putting the 98 map, my engine is bone stock as far as I know.
Ok, I wouldn’t be wasting my time on a full remap on a stock car. It will make marginal differences. The 98 Ron map is meant to be a reasonable upgrade. But I wouldn’t bother unless you need/want to start diagnosing fault codes etc and as a result need an RS tuner. In terms of locking the ECU, I believe this doesn’t happen any more. Regardless it can be unlocked by a tuner if you mod the car to the level of needing a rolling road

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Ok, I wouldn’t be wasting my time on a full remap on a stock car. It will make marginal differences. The 98 Ron map is meant to be a reasonable upgrade. But I wouldn’t bother unless you need/want to start diagnosing fault codes etc and as a result need an RS tuner. In terms of locking the ECU, I believe this doesn’t happen any more. Regardless it can be unlocked by a tuner if you mod the car to the level of needing a rolling road
I've seen many people state that the 98 remap is awesome and makes the car much more enjoyable to drive daily so that's why I was interested. I don't necessarily need one but it's always useful to be able to read codes as well instead of paying Renault to do it so... I don't know, you tell me!

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Im not sure I read it makes it more responsive if I’m honest. Just smooths out the idle. I don’t have it loaded onto my car. Plan always was to but I’m unsure now. I use an RS tuner as a diagnostic tool. I bought mine second hand with no modules installed. It’s a nice bit of kit, but fairly useless without the additional modules in my experience. If I did it again I would buy a brand new one with everything available. Buying the bolt on modules doesn’t look like exceptional value to me, especially with some questionable service..

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Im not sure I read it makes it more responsive if I’m honest. Just smooths out the idle. I don’t have it loaded onto my car. Plan always was to but I’m unsure now. I use an RS tuner as a diagnostic tool. I bought mine second hand with no modules installed. It’s a nice bit of kit, but fairly useless without the additional modules in my experience. If I did it again I would buy a brand new one with everything available. Buying the bolt on modules doesn’t look like exceptional value to me, especially with some questionable service..
OK, thank you. They are pretty expensive with everything fitted!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Efi are based in Runcorn mate. Search the reviews on here all positive.

Ive had various cars with maps etc and if i was to buy another Clio i would get efi to map. The 98 ron map is a good generic map. The one from efi is custom to your car and will find any issues live on the dyno.

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
Efi are based in Runcorn mate. Search the reviews on here all positive.

Ive had various cars with maps etc and if i was to buy another Clio i would get efi to map. The 98 ron map is a good generic map. The one from efi is custom to your car and will find any issues live on the dyno.
Oh, I live in France ahah, I thought they could email it

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've seen many people state that the 98 remap is awesome and makes the car much more enjoyable to drive daily so that's why I was interested. I don't necessarily need one but it's always useful to be able to read codes as well instead of paying Renault to do it so... I don't know, you tell me!
I'll let you know how much of a difference the 98ron map makes after the weekend, fingers crossed its worth all the bother

I bought a new RSTuner Premium a few months ago, and it has been very useful as a diagnostic tool so far.

Mine is a 182 track only car, which is why I bought the 'premium' version as it will log running data into the unit itself, whereas with the standard version you need the PC attached. I didn't fancy having a PC flying around the car on track! The idea is to record running data and send the log to Henk to have a customised map returned.
Hopefully I will get a meaningful data log on a trackday this coming saturday.

I have installed the 98 Ron map that came with the purchase, I can't say i noticed a huge difference but that may be because I only use the car flat out. The idle does seem smoother though.

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
I bought a new RSTuner Premium a few months ago, and it has been very useful as a diagnostic tool so far.

Mine is a 182 track only car, which is why I bought the 'premium' version as it will log running data into the unit itself, whereas with the standard version you need the PC attached. I didn't fancy having a PC flying around the car on track! The idea is to record running data and send the log to Henk to have a customised map returned.
Hopefully I will get a meaningful data log on a trackday this coming saturday.

I have installed the 98 Ron map that came with the purchase, I can't say i noticed a huge difference but that may be because I only use the car flat out. The idle does seem smoother though.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm the total opposite, I daily drive my Clio and never bring it to the track so a smoother idle might be appreciated.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea the 98RON map from RSTuner is good, it does make the daily drive that bit better. Also the module is good for fault codes, which can save you plenty of cash.
If your idle is particularly rough, the main culprits are bad lambda sensors, bad injectors and incorrect cam timing.

Alot of the used units will be UK based, so there might be issues sending it to France. Buy a new one, it comes with a map and is ready to go.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Yep I'd buy new, by the time Henk gets me my 98ron map sent over my 172 might be a pile of rust.

Cliomaxx69

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 2002
While we're all here, would I be able to turn off esp/serv lights with the RSTuner? They turn on intermittently and I can't find why.

And can it be a problem with insurers like if I did a stage 1 or something?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
While we're all here, would I be able to turn off esp/serv lights with the RSTuner? They turn on intermittently and I can't find why.

And can it be a problem with insurers like if I did a stage 1 or something?
I don’t believe you can. But it may indicate where the problem maybe, albeit that can be several things.

I’m not sure what stage 1 means in clio world if I’m honest.

This is probably a stupid question but, if you install the 98 RON map surely you commit to using 98RON or higher fuel from then on???

So for someone using their Clio for a daily driver doing reasonable mileage isn't the extra fuel cost a consideration against any benefit given by the remap?

Once you install the 98 RON map is using 95 RON going to cause any issues?

I only use VPower in mine as it is purely a track car, but I'm interested as many owners seem to use the 98 RON map in their daily driver

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
How do you know if the map is on ? I bought a rs tuner years ago and im pretty sure the map did load onto the car

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
How do you know if the map is on ? I bought a rs tuner years ago and im pretty sure the map did load onto the car

When you scan the car, the info about the software version on the ecu will have FASTCHIP in blue.

Stick a screenshot on here of yours and i'll be able to tell.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
When you scan the car, the info about the software version on the ecu will have FASTCHIP in blue.

Stick a screenshot on here of yours and i'll be able to tell.
Nice one , will take a pic when im hooked up to it , do you need to go into ecu information ?
20210929_180444.jpg

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I very much regret paying for the unlock code and map, I'm still waiting for Henk to send it to me since Thilursday last week

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Yeah it's that ECU information tab there.

The bit that says prog tool will say Fastchip
I see definitely didnt work then , wonder if it would still work if i tried ? 🤔 what would i need the email he gave me the code for

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Map finally arrived! Can I be a***d to sit in it in this weather to install it? Possibly not.