ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick hello...Lotus Pics enclosed

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

What a surprise, I knew someone would have to say it.

The VIN decodes to a Lotus built at Hethel, the V5 states Lotus, the vehicle is officially Lotus type 104 (the experts amongst us will all know that each lotus has a type number assigned to it).....so therefore, its a Lotus.

:D

Look at the badge on the bonnet, what is it?

What saloon is it derived from?

Who owned Lotus at the time?

The carlton is not listed as a lotus production car by lotus themselves, a place of manufacture means nothing.

Im not denying its a beaut but it is a vauxhall with a very big hand from lotus, the Audi RS2 was never a porsche but had a 968 gearbox, completely reworked porsche engine, porsche wheels, brakes, suspension and had a different body. Being an Audi, a name with a good image, the owners didnt see the point in renaming it a Porsche after buying them ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by pmitchell on 27 January 2003

What a surprise, I knew someone would have to say it.

The VIN decodes to a Lotus built at Hethel, the V5 states Lotus, the vehicle is officially Lotus type 104 (the experts amongst us will all know that each lotus has a type number assigned to it).....so therefore, its a Lotus.

:D

Its a Lotus Carlton Rob

Just like a RUF isnt a porsche

The most important thing is lotus didnt sell the car, so it aint a lotus, get over it. The lotus owners club my dad was in didnt allow carltons!

Production figures

http://www.lotuscars.com/history/prodfig/prodfig.htmlhttp://www.lotuscars.com/history/prodfig/prodfig.html

Year by year history

http://www.lotuscars.com/history/yr2yr/yr2yr.htmlthehttp://www.lotuscars.com/history/yr2yr/yr2yr.htmlBR color=#ffffffthe lotus bicylce is mentioned, but no carlton..)

Road car production

http://www.lotuscars.com/history/keycars/keycars.htmlhttp://www.lotuscars.com/history/keycars/keycars.html

I love a good stir up ;)

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Vauxhal or not its still one nice car! When I was younger it was always one of my dream cars and it still looks good today though those wheels look a bit dinky now. Just goes to show how times have changed

What mpg do you get out of that cant be much?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

no its the official US site..just not very good.

That document you put a link too says what ive just said!

"Soon to become a legend, the Lotus Carlton (Lotus Omega outside the UK) is essentially a Carlton/Omega GSi completely stripped and rebuilt by Lotus to become one of the quickest saloons in the world"

Good god Rob, get over it mate - it hardly matters does it! I responded with tongue in cheek....

It is simply the most awesome car Ive ever driven....it was a boyhood dream for me to have one of these....

MPG - 30 on a run....but high teens on normal driving around town etc...

Dinky isnt the word I would use for the wheels....the rears in particular are massive....!

p

awesome car, always has been, always will be, and a classic.

i think robs lack of horses as gone to is ead

pugboy

lol noo im going to run you over on saturday tom!

Anyway you said the experts amongst us which is err no one so had to prove the point :) I should be a northerner.. anyway agreed great car.

Speaking of tyres, Dash if you bother looking at this thread i thought id mention i drove a V6 at the weekend, it had 17inch wheels as used on the racers, 7inch at front, 8.5 at back with 215/45s at front and 245/40s at back, made a huge difference! It also had eibach springs, fab!

Its a beast, there is one along the road from my work everyday. Not my type of car but a classic. Very nice.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Its my job rob (job rob -ha ha) so that would make me an expert- so you had no chance from the start ;)

Oh you drove a v6 with trophy wheels on it? cool bet it made it harder to spin (was it that eibach demo car?)

Lupo Gti

my dad had a lotus carlton, nice but a bit of a handful in the wet apparently, anyways ive still got the wicked little book that it came with, worth a packet know, its got some well nice pics in and some proper technical drawings nd loadsa stuff like that!

lms!

Looks in good nick for an H reg...Do you get classic car insurance on that??

I have heard they are good motors but just like Sierra Cosworths , they look a bit dated now. Just my opinion.

Raj, everythings good - I have an airbox for you if you still want it....

I appreciate most of the comments made, thank you. Just to clarify the car is actually dark green (as they all were). Looks black I know, but I can assure you its green.

Lanky - what number did your dad have? And do you want to sell the book?

email mailto:paul@infinicar.com">paul@infinicar.com if you do.

Paul

GR7

Shiny red R32

Paul

Your new Lotus looks absolutely S:cool:T:cool:U:cool:N:cool:N:cool:I:cool:N:cool:G.

I see a red one around here, but obviously as the originals were all very dark green, this one must be an imitation, but it looks and sounds great whatever it is and it says Lotus Carlton on it.

I bet some little Clios will be trying to challenge you at the lights!!

Must admit its in pretty good order for a 12yr old car. I saw about 5, and this was streets ahead of any of the others, in terms of condition, history and originaility....and what made it even better was the guy I bought it from was a really nice bloke, who was a proper enthusisast....and he was very patient whilst I buggered around trying to find the cash for it!

I did say the williams replacement would be a LC of a clio V6....god knows what Ill replace this with...come to think of it, I dont think I will ever get rid of it....its that good!

Paul

GR7

Shiny red R32

Paul

I have just spoken to a friend who works at our local garage and he said that the red one near me is just a look/soundalike. It is pretty quick though, but not as nice as yours.

:cool:

Used to own a lotus carlton when I worked for gm/opel in germany in early nineties. Absolutely fantastic car, but the m5 would kill it on the track, not the other way around!

Bye Bye

gr, where are you seeing this red one cos i see one near me too. its got the exact same kit on it, but somehow you can tell its not a real one (without the obvious fact that its red).

Nice cars the real ones, a bit on the big side for my tastes, but meaty.

Paul,

Yup, fitted the bonnet, and have now smoothed out the tatty bump strips in the bumper and resprayed it, I must admit I think its one of the most mint Phase 1s around now..

Will send you some pics if youre interested.

Ben

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by SteveJJH on 28 January 2003

gr, where are you seeing this red one cos i see one near me too. its got the exact same kit on it, but somehow you can tell its not a real one (without the obvious fact that its red).

Nice cars the real ones, a bit on the big side for my tastes, but meaty.
Edinburgh.

oops

Yeah theres a gold one i see at some cruises, though he changed from a copy to doing his own thing. Owners called darren if anyones seen it.