ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick question about my Tyres

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
The sun is out so I might put my new second hand alloys with Tyres on this afternoon.

Question is two have 3.5mm tread, two have 5mm. Both PE2's.

Should I put the 3.5mm ones on the rear as they will still last on the back for sometime.

I'm not sure what's best really. I don't really want to be forking out for new tyres too soon though.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Industry standards say that the tyres with the most tread go on the rear, as when you brake the load on the rear becomes lighter so requires more grip. I always put new on the rear.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Industry standards say that the tyres with the most tread go on the rear, as when you brake the load on the rear becomes lighter so requires more grip. I always put new on the rear.

So explain how under normal conditions a tyre with 5mm will have more grip than a tyre with 3.5mm lol.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Yeah that pretty much what the guy I bought them from said. Particulalry with winter months and he talked about risking the back end slipping out. Though I dot exactly rag my clio round the corners, so I kinda want to put them on the front as they will probably be due a change all at the same time, and not needing me to lay up for New Tyres early 2010 when I'm hard up.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I think you have that the wrong way around?

No, how does the tyre with 5mm on the back have more grip than the one with 3.5mm on the back under braking?
Appart from when your driving through standing water (although there will be VERY little difference between 3.5 and 5mm when you are) the tyre compound has a far greater impact on the level of grip the tyre has.
For example I would prefere to have my 3mm Eagle f1's on the back than some 7mm Stunners. The eagles would still have much better grip.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Ah right I see.

I have no idea. I just quoted what several big manufacturers say. I have no proof to prove either way. The information is probably correct for 80% of Joe Public.

Just stick the good ones on the back for your own peace of mind, miles easier to correct losing the front end than the back.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Your going to be forking out soon either way, more grip generally if they are on the front and you aren't driving on the limit, but more grip at the back is always good.

Doubt it would make a great amount of noticeable difference. It's not like one pair are bald and the others brand new.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
On a FWD car the new tyres should be going on the front.

Wrong.

Every major tyre manufacturer recomends new tyres on the rear of the car.
Due to what has already been mentioned about correcting oversteer being a lot harder than understeer.

Places such as Costco (or at least the one I use) refuse to fit new tyres to the front of the car.

It has been proven that tyres with less tread but still legal have less grip, also the older tyres will have aged and made the rubber 'harder' which will give less grip.

tiTTy & SV650
New tyres to the back, that way you'll only need 2 tyres when the fronts wear out and not 4.

Also its industry recommended as above.

Silver ph2/Mk2 Clio 172
Yeah but I'm in the thick of buying and doing up my house, i would rather buy four later when I am more comfortable than to have to find the moolah for two in the next few months.

Thats kinda what this post was about as really I want to put the ones with more grip on the front

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Don't drive like a tool and you won't have to replace them soon. I got 11K out of my Clio's fronts. Put the old rears to the front, and got another 12K out of them.