ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick release front bumper.

I have fitted my front bumper with just two Aerocatches, one at either side. It seems secure but it sags down slightly in the middle and the gap under the headlight is obvious to me. I have no slam panel due to ITB's so was wondering if anyone had any ideas how to mount it more securely.

The weight it's only going to get worse as I have a front splitter to put on too.

7D683D59-EFCB-47FB-8768-EE65963B907B_1.jpg

Cup In bits
Trim down and fit the egg box style crash protection that is behind the bumper, it sits on the slam panel and it will support it.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Could you mot try and fit some more aero catches/bonnet pins under the head lights?

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Like this (see below) not exactly under the headlights, but more central in the crash structure. Definitely possible
9231248A-E425-46DA-B972-EE314C5BBED7_zpsry1wzmpa.jpg

Cup In bits
^^^^^^ I have the same but I put them behind the reg plate. You can put reg plate on with Velcro circles and nobody will see them.

Have you been pulled for your plate yet haimsey?

Chambers_RS

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup&Leon K1
The pic above is my car :)

Only reason I put the catches in the middle was because its had knock on the offside and crumpled the corner of the crash bar slightly so I can't get areo catches in the normal place lol
If you look just below the headlights your see what I mean.

Also the holes Where already in the crash bar to fix the thread bar/pin to.

Regards to the number plate, the car hasn't seen the road since I fitted it lol

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Have you been pulled for your plate yet haimsey?
That's not my car, borrowed the image from another thread

I've seen people using dezues fasteners too, mainly on motorbikes though. Maybe they'd work

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
@haimsey Did you remove the reinforcement from behind the bumper when cutting the cooling holes and removing weight?

If yes, how do you remove the reinforcement please?

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
@haimsey Did you remove the reinforcement from behind the bumper when cutting the cooling holes and removing weight?

If yes, how do you remove the reinforcement please?
The above image isn’t my car, I have however cut holes through my bumper, I just cut through the reinforcing part also. It’s a bit messy from behind, but you can’t see that bit...

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The above image isn’t my car, I have however cut holes through my bumper, I just cut through the reinforcing part also. It’s a bit messy from behind, but you can’t see that bit...
That’s all I needed to know if people are just going through it or actually removing it all before hand?

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
That’s all I needed to know if people are just going through it or actually removing it all before hand?
There must be a way to fully remove it, but the bumper will be floppy. I never thought about taking it off completely, just removed some material to make it functional enough to get some more cold air in (but then put the reg back on for road use)

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
There must be a way to fully remove it, but the bumper will be floppy. I never thought about taking it off completely, just removed some material to make it functional enough to get some more cold air in (but then put the reg back on for road use)
I was going to go down the quick latch route 1 either side and 1 either side of the number plate which should keep the flex to a min. I will have another look on the weekend or just do your proven method of removing material out to ensure clear flow

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I was going to go down the quick latch route 1 either side and 1 either side of the number plate which should keep the flex to a min. I will have another look on the weekend or just do your proven method of removing material out to ensure clear flow
I did start to consider making a piece up to replace the original support that was tidier/functional, and the same-ish shape to keep the rigidity.
My current method is crude, but works (I hope/think)

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I did start to consider making a piece up to replace the original support that was tidier/functional, and the same-ish shape to keep the rigidity.
My current method is crude, but works (I hope/think)
I've removed my support part of the bumper now and adding 4 quicklatch fixings 2x at the side and 2x just either side of the number plate as support.