ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R.I.P clio 172 cup

Yeah, engine felt really strong, gearbox was cracking and it handled brilliantly. Strangely felt very planted - especially when 106's are known for being tail happy. It's a great little car!

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Yeah, engine felt really strong, gearbox was cracking and it handled brilliantly. Strangely felt very planted - especially when 106's are known for being tail happy. It's a great little car!

With a few little mods they handle better than any car ive ever driven or even been in, my old one was absolutely immense. If you poly bush the lower engine mount and gearbox mount and put oem replacement for top engine mount and lower around 60mm on the front and 2 'clicks' on the torsion bar the grip is honestly mental, you will crap your pants well before the car lets go. Thats a fairly basic road setup to, which retains ride comfort(to an extent lol)

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Interior pic of gti for anyone interested.
57_4.jpg

Slightly more refined and chilled out than the other 2 lol.
20130627_141648.jpg

More nova p**n....(extremely dirty mind, but screw it this aint a show car lol)
20140628_163436.jpg

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Also Maybe worth a mention, my mate is making noise about breaking his ax vts so high chance ill be having his race engine, Newman ph3 cams, wossner forged high comp pistons, c2 vts head port and polished to name a few of the mods. Cant remember everything hes done but its a list as long as your arm. Think im gonna be needing some ITB's to finish it off.... hmmmmm
20130306_163922.jpg

screen shot

Flame Red Delight
Can't believe someone has messed with it :( was perfect standard and was immaculate. Put it back to standard and keep it mint :)

Inferno 182 & Saxo
the gti and the nova are awesome, shame to break that cup though if its a good runner

Clio 172
With a few little mods they handle better than any car ive ever driven or even been in, my old one was absolutely immense. If you poly bush the lower engine mount and gearbox mount and put oem replacement for top engine mount and lower around 60mm on the front and 2 'clicks' on the torsion bar the grip is honestly mental, you will crap your pants well before the car lets go. Thats a fairly basic road setup to, which retains ride comfort(to an extent lol)

That's too many lows IMO! 40-45mm was the recommended drop for road use and every day drivability. Any lower than that and the chocolate made driveshafts and CV boots would fail even more regularly than they did already and it messed with the turn in too much making it really understeery! I have also ran loads of different heights in the rear and found the standard hight to be the most fun and predictable! Lift off oversteer when expected and grip while you keep the power on, too low and it becomes skittish unbalanced. Bloody good fun cars though and they still look smart to me!

Jack

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Wow, awesome to see it on the forum again. Was absolutely mint when I bought and owned it. Seriously, properly mint. The only car I've ever really regretted getting rid of.
Make it standard again ffs!

8725520513_fa8084d62b_b.jpg

Interesting that someone has upgraded the already upgraded brakes though...
Had essentially brand new 206 GTI callipers, discs and pads when I sold it.

8726638462_c752df0539_b.jpg

I could only dream of mine looking that clean... I want a mint one like that for the road a daily!! JoeyD how long ago was this? Its a shame someone has messed about with it, but it doesn't surprise me.

Probably 2011? Can't really remember tbh. It's probably a good thing that I sold it anyway as the car I replaced it with got stolen and torched! So glad it wasn't this car!

clio 172 cup
Ah brilliant choice, I have a mega soft spot for 106's, such a fun little car that is of surprises and smiles, a very capable car on track to.

I have a 172 cup now but before it I had a really tidy 106 xsi that I built into a fast road/track car...I miss it no end. One of friends has got it now,but if I had the money I would buy it back tomorrow.

My old 106...

2li93xs.jpg

2yl4d9j.jpg

123mwbp.jpg

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Ah brilliant choice, I have a mega soft spot for 106's, such a fun little car that is of surprises and smiles, a very capable car on track to.

I have a 172 cup now but before it I had a really tidy 106 xsi that I built into a fast road/track car...I miss it no end. One of friends has got it now,but if I had the money I would buy it back tomorrow.

My old 106...

2li93xs.jpg

2yl4d9j.jpg

123mwbp.jpg

Stunning that mate! Any modifications to the engine?

clio 172 cup
Cheers matey, it was a really nice example,took me 5 years on and off to get it that stage, even better now a good friend has it, would love to buy it back one day. Engine wise it was just the usual ie raceland manifold,itg maxogen induction kit along with a decat pugsport 2'' system. Would love to have cammed it along with some itb's, went very well though with the power to weight being quite good, solid engine mounts made a big difference.