ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R5 Gordini Turbo

VW Potato

anyone here ever owned or driven a R5 Gordini Turbo? My mum had a red one from new in April 83 - May 87 (replaced by an Orion 1.6 Ghia i, of all things). I was too young then to have driven it, but it seemed alarmingly quick at the time. Id love to see one now, compare it looks-wise etc with the C172. The Gordini T always looked pretty mean when lowered a little I think. I always feel this car lives unfairly in the shadow of the R5 GT. Some, cmon, you got any Gordini memories/knowledge you want to share? i feel the need for the warm glow of nostalgia :)

g

I have fond memories too, they were well equipped cars as well as being very fast! Emphasised by the fact it was the first car ive ever driven. I also broke the clutch..but i was told recently there was a widespread problem with the gordinis.

Hate to moan but remember this is cliosport.net and your using clio discussion to talk about ren 5s ;)

VW Potato

Rob, I know - but i did say Id like to compare the Gor T to the C172, so Im not totally off topic. But point taken, so apologies from me :oops:

g

I love gordini turbos, i can still remember the first time i saw one, sooo wide:) There was one in a bond film, it looked well nice, cant reember which bond tho, any ideas?

VW Potato

no no JonL, thats not a Gordini T; thats either the R5 T1 or the R5 T2; both are mid-engined. The film was Never say never again from 83 or 84. The R5Gordini T was a front engine/front drive rocket-ship. The R5T1 was its big daddy, like the Clio V6 is a 172s big daddy today. R5 Gordini T came before the R5GT Turbo. Hope that helps!

g

Ooops my bad, well at least i know which one i want now:D, i bet the chances of me ever finding one are very slim tho:(

VW Potato

i dont think the red one is a Gordini Turbo - it has the mirrors from the normally aspirated Alpine, not the square ones from the Gordini. I may be wrong of course. Plus the turbo badge is missing and the wheel rim looks Alpine, not Gordy.

(The R5 Alpine was replaced by the R5 Gordini Turbo folks; I believe it was more or less the same car, minus the turbo; again, my memorys abit hazy about this!)

g

My mate had one back in 92 and it was rare then. From memory it was Silver and im pretty sure colour coded. It was based on the original Renault 5 shape as in the picture above but defin. looked nice ! He was rather pants when it came to driving it fast so never got to experience the performance of it.

VW Potato

I think the Gordini Turbo was a 1.4cc (a 1397cc from memory). It was sort of replaced for a little while by the Le Car Turbo which had the colour coded bits but lost the alloys and other nice bits of kit. The Le Car Turbo just looked like a normal 5 - the Gordini didnt. Then the Le Car was replaced by the R5 GT Turbo in 1985, I think.

g