ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R5 Gordini Turbo

VW Potato

anyone here ever owned or driven a R5 Gordini Turbo? My mum had a red one from new in April 83 - May 87 (replaced by an Orion 1.6 Ghia i, of all things). I was too young then to have driven it, but it seemed alarmingly quick at the time. Id love to see one now, compare it looks-wise etc with the C172. The Gordini T always looked pretty mean when lowered a little I think. I always feel this car lives unfairly in the shadow of the R5 GT. Some, cmon, you got any Gordini memories/knowledge you want to share? i feel the need for the warm glow of nostalgia :)

g

I have fond memories too, they were well equipped cars as well as being very fast! Emphasised by the fact it was the first car ive ever driven. I also broke the clutch..but i was told recently there was a widespread problem with the gordinis.

Hate to moan but remember this is cliosport.net and your using clio discussion to talk about ren 5s ;)

VW Potato

Rob, I know - but i did say Id like to compare the Gor T to the C172, so Im not totally off topic. But point taken, so apologies from me :oops:

g

I love gordini turbos, i can still remember the first time i saw one, sooo wide:) There was one in a bond film, it looked well nice, cant reember which bond tho, any ideas?

VW Potato

no no JonL, thats not a Gordini T; thats either the R5 T1 or the R5 T2; both are mid-engined. The film was Never say never again from 83 or 84. The R5Gordini T was a front engine/front drive rocket-ship. The R5T1 was its big daddy, like the Clio V6 is a 172s big daddy today. R5 Gordini T came before the R5GT Turbo. Hope that helps!

g

Ooops my bad, well at least i know which one i want now:D, i bet the chances of me ever finding one are very slim tho:(

VW Potato

i dont think the red one is a Gordini Turbo - it has the mirrors from the normally aspirated Alpine, not the square ones from the Gordini. I may be wrong of course. Plus the turbo badge is missing and the wheel rim looks Alpine, not Gordy.

(The R5 Alpine was replaced by the R5 Gordini Turbo folks; I believe it was more or less the same car, minus the turbo; again, my memorys abit hazy about this!)

g

My mate had one back in 92 and it was rare then. From memory it was Silver and im pretty sure colour coded. It was based on the original Renault 5 shape as in the picture above but defin. looked nice ! He was rather pants when it came to driving it fast so never got to experience the performance of it.

VW Potato

I think the Gordini Turbo was a 1.4cc (a 1397cc from memory). It was sort of replaced for a little while by the Le Car Turbo which had the colour coded bits but lost the alloys and other nice bits of kit. The Le Car Turbo just looked like a normal 5 - the Gordini didnt. Then the Le Car was replaced by the R5 GT Turbo in 1985, I think.

g