ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R56 FJCW

260% JCW
Thought i'd post about our MINI adventure after seeing some others here goes,

After getting rid of the 172 a while ago we strayed to dark side and purchased a Mini,

Photo0362.gif

IMG_0034.gif

After the intention of just going for a test drive we bought a mint R56 Factory JCW at our local stealers. One owner, 15k miles on the clock and a few choice options including the sports suspension with upgraded springs, shocks and front and rear ARB's.

We then got the wheels powder coated black as the silver didn't do it for me

IMG_0483.gif

Then off to evolve (MINI/BMW tuners)

4a5fd16a.gif

Stock figure was 211 bhp with 230lb/ft.

We then fitted a Forge FMIC, itg panel filter, de-cat pipe and evolve tweaked the map a little. Final figure after a few runs was 265bhp with 275lbs/ft not bad for a MINI

The sound it makes now on the over run is epic, i still miss the sound of the 172 approaching the redline though :eek:

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u153/OkevsterO/?action=view&current=IMG_0507.mp4

On paper that looks, sound and goes incredibly well. But in the real world my GF's R56 was nothing but trouble with timing chain tensioners and other random faults. So whilst I'd personally pass, I do like that a lot.

260% JCW
On paper that looks, sound and goes incredibly well. But in the real world my GF's R56 was nothing but trouble with timing chain tensioners and other random faults. So whilst I'd personally pass, I do like that a lot.

Tell me about it, our's has been in for a revised tensioner, water pump ect. Like all cars though some are worse than others, some people have had no issues.

Snotter's

Sadly this is true, they are so hit and miss with the quality. Had the exact same issue with our cooper s and it ruined the ownership for me.

Turbos.
Not keen on the white but it does look better with the black wheels. Great gains on the mods, must be a proper unruly rocket!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah R56 is turbo.

I had nothing but trouble with my Supercharged R53, but the R56 is much improved in all departments imo.

yeah the newer 1s i.e these are the turbo charged... we have a older supercharged cooper S and iv got to say its the most boring car to drive although i do like the pull it has in 6th on motorways etc.. that aside nice looking motor mate

260% JCW
Thanks guys,

I've never been into white and never thought i'd own a white car but in the flesh with the black trim, wheels ect it looks spot on.

260% JCW
I've just put a deposit down on one :)

Good man, what spec?

yeah the newer 1s i.e these are the turbo charged... we have a older supercharged cooper S and iv got to say its the most boring car to drive although i do like the pull it has in 6th on motorways etc.. that aside nice looking motor mate

The Mrs had an S before we got this, the way it handled was completely different to this. We found the standard S a bit too soft, the sports suspension makes a massive difference and should come as standard IMO.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Good man, what spec?

It's a standard Cooper S with JCW body kit. Red, black roof, black bonnet stripes, black r105 wheels.

Had the recalls done, new clutch and flywheel, full decoke and has a BMW warranty until next year. It is Keanos car off MiniTorque if your on there. Made up tbh. No doubt I'll want more power soon so reading up on what options I have etc.

260% JCW
Awesome!

Mine is off to Evlove shortly.

Imrans a top bloke, you won't regret it.

It's a standard Cooper S with JCW body kit. Red, black roof, black bonnet stripes, black r105 wheels.

Had the recalls done, new clutch and flywheel, full decoke and has a BMW warranty until next year. It is Keanos car off MiniTorque if your on there. Made up tbh. No doubt I'll want more power soon so reading up on what options I have etc.

I know the one nice buy, well looked after by all accounts. A few simple mods will see it pushing out 220+ enjoy! Get yourself on Total Mini and Mini Torque.

Tell me about it, our's has been in for a revised tensioner, water pump ect. Like all cars though some are worse than others, some people have had no issues.

Yeah, really mixed bag across the forums... Hers was tensioners x3, coilpack, and panoramic sunroof cassette (an eye watering £1400 which they knocked 50% off) all in 8 months.

Evolve seem to be spot on, if she'd have kept it, I have no doubt I'd have persuaded her to go for a map at least lol.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP

Hes a good lad Keano, certainly look after his cars.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Looks and sounds awesome. Not owned an R56 yet however my dad had one and it was good, the only thing it suffered was the timing chain rattle on cold start but apparently it wouldn't cause any harm?

It has always seemed like you get good and bad ones, I used to have an R53 and never had a single issue with it, was a great car. Video here of a few pops on the overrun :) (it was a school day at Harewood hence the slow first runs)

[video=youtube_share;iT7pj0wEQKI]http://youtu.be/iT7pj0wEQKI[/video]

clio 197
I bought a really nice looking blacky blue coloured one of these last feb, have done 40k miles in it since then and its had a new engine, turbo, and pretty much everything since then.

great little cars, they just dont build them to great :(

However having said that i would buy another as i have driven nothing that comes close to being as fun...

260% JCW
I bought a really nice looking blacky blue coloured one of these last feb, have done 40k miles in it since then and its had a new engine, turbo, and pretty much everything since then.

great little cars, they just dont build them to great :(

However having said that i would buy another as i have driven nothing that comes close to being as fun...

The thing is the majority of the issues arise from the engine build quality, you'd never believe who help build the engine along side BMW? Peugeot & Citreon. From 2013 the engine will be a BMW unit so this should cure all reliability issues.

260% JCW
Looks and sounds awesome. Not owned an R56 yet however my dad had one and it was good, the only thing it suffered was the timing chain rattle on cold start but apparently it wouldn't cause any harm?

It has always seemed like you get good and bad ones, I used to have an R53 and never had a single issue with it, was a great car. Video here of a few pops on the overrun :) (it was a school day at Harewood hence the slow first runs)

[video=youtube_share;iT7pj0wEQKI]http://youtu.be/iT7pj0wEQKI[/video]

Yummy!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Shame about the colour but I love the Kit on the 56. Very tidy cars.

The Mrs had an S before we got this said:
Ours is far from soft its stiff as fook compared to my 172 cup i know it did get factory fitted options from new. it does handle well but it just never really feels like im connected with the car if that makes sense

260% JCW
Thanks or the comments guys

wow!! 265 in a mini! for real?

This one is fairly tame compared to a few other freaks, mine made 211 standard on the rollers. Other's have made 230 with no mods, then when you add the same mods i have they're nearer to 280bhp with almost 300lb/ft.