ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Dark Knight.... Progress Thread

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
You're talking the one after centenary bridge, first left at the roundabout towards the Maccy's roundabout? Again, awesome corner and stupidly grippy. I find it interesting just going round that roundabout at Maccy's over and over till the rear starts to let go before powering out back down towards centenary bridge.

Take it you took it for a proper Trafford lap then?

Yeh, as silly as it sounds i saw no cars, before anyone mentions road racing. Its a route Ive used for YEARS over the bridge and towards OT. the second round and indeed the one nearest maccys are stupid, i had riad behind me on sunday and i kept going round too waiting for him till the rear stepped, was good to remind me of its traits and limits. its kind of like a baseline route for testing my car to see whats up and gives proper feedback. heading over the bridge brake and throw it in off camber into the left? Go on then ;)

Anyway this is naughty and I'm saying no more haha.

Last few months have been hard, my life has been turned upside down and had to rebuild alot of personal stuff. I feared for my career and indeed car and was ready to break it, theres nothing wrong with the old girl I just didnt know whether i was coming or going and it filtered down into every aspect.

However... The car simply gives me too much pleasure. Im having to spend alot of time away from home now and for the foreseeable future as my girlfriend is expecting a baby boy. The car will be getting its own unit and seen as i dont think i'll ever get rid (apart from the fact she's worth nothing now) I can work away at my hearts content in a little lockup/office space area.

Over jan I picked up a heat shielded Decat, which I'll never obviously fit as thats highly illegal. hi.

8426624409_4cacd63577_z.jpg

Decat by NaithanAriane, on Flickr

Bought a single xenon projector a while back, then managed to have nicksons set off him which were alot more built up, they were clouded and not 100% according to him, the OCD in the boy must be on another level as they are literally perfect, only got round to fitting one before close of play and a quick pic after i got the bumper back on shows the state of progress.. Everyone has always said visually the car is 99%, the only thing letting it down has been lack of projectors over the years, well thats obviously not going to be a problem from here on out. a little mod i've waited for years but it makes the car look SO MUCH better, well it will when i fit and buy the xenon bulbs in february.

8426625527_32ea31ed0f_z.jpg

TDK one eye by NaithanAriane, on Flickr

Also managed another little mod that most would see as pointless, since i've had the V3s on the one thing that has always pee'd me off is that KW never supplied pin adjusters for the dampers. thanks to to brother Riad I now have pins sat in the holes I cut for the top of the damper, it finishes the look off and gives instant adjustability. I'm opening the DIY scuttle holes more this week though as its a little too tight a fit at the moment.

8427714462_fc639fb5a9_z.jpg

KW adjuster by NaithanAriane, on Flickr

Over the next few months i'll be moving the thing, obviously, and having her stripped back to hopefully fit an R26 diff i'm in the process of buying, the decat will go on, with the new driveshafts and i'll finish the wiring for the new Xenons. I've even bought red vinyl replacement stickers and subtle covers for the engine bay which will come spring look very different with a single colour in the bay.

Even in stg2 state the poor old blower has slogged its arse off for years so i'm looking into a hybrid turbo to couple to uprated injectors. for once i can take my time and have her finally run/looking like the car I want her to be.

There will be updates from here in, just not too often as i'm sorting sh1t out to secure for the future. If anyone would like me to update things like the welding for a battery tray im building or other bits and bobs then I will, I generally dont as it can feel like no-one is interested so why bother, but i will if anyone asks.

8427713512_1f2533cfdb_z.jpg

TDK one eyee-1 by NaithanAriane, on Flickr

She'll Rise.

haha, thanks mate, although its looking like 2013 will be missed out there, its the spiritual home of the car now. I'll vmaxx it down there one day! :)

Petrol Blue 182.
Congrats on the Baby Naith, pleased for you!

Glad to see the car the meg is going well, thought you'd been a little quiet on here recently.

Shame you won't make it this year. Riad going?

Merc A class
Congrats on the Baby Naith, pleased for you!

Glad to see the car the meg is going well, thought you'd been a little quiet on here recently.

Shame you won't make it this year. Riad going?

Im thinking of going in the clio mate, should be there although nothing is booked yet.

Excuse lack of progress guys... paternity and the weather being the main culprits. Been buying up bits and bobs and the second the weather turns i'll update, this update is mainly for those researching and who would ever consider retrofitting Xenons to a none xenon'd Ph1 225... In short unless you have mega monies or find a complete unit, dont bother!

You need;

2 ballasts.
2 xenon bulbs.
2 ignitors.
2 looms to splice to existing system.

8594431413_e4b0132af3_z.jpg

Mesane 225 PH1 xenon by NaithanAriane, on Flickr

You also need the slam panel mounted self levellers which for now i've not bothered with, although I will when they come up/I can afford them.

A lad on megsport was selling the above bar the actual units and looms (I thought he was including the looms too but hey ho) Paid 50 quid for all the above. So for a setup that I can imagine costs hundreds I cant complain even if its just the ballasts that work (As they are meant to be mega money).

As I stripped the units down today, the ignitors contact points to the bulbs have corroded a fair bit. Its only when you remove the rubber seal can you see, the pic below shows the burns to the rubber seal and until I connect the lights up in the next few weeks I wont know if they'll even work.

As shown below.

8595528982_861f67ceed_z.jpg

Megane Ignitors by NaithanAriane, on Flickr

So next week or so its a call to Ads @ Renault Wolverhampton to source the looms which aren't meant to be too expensive. Wang it all together and see whats what.

All in all its a massive ball ache, but its what happens when you want something your prepared to wait, well I am.

8594427957_c12a123f70_z.jpg

Xenon issues by NaithanAriane, on Flickr

Sidenote, going to RSTuning as soon as i've put her back on the road mid spring, Pauls managed to source me some 630cc injectors! Yeh bwoyyy!

you will mate, like i promised in 1948!

gotta take lbrench out too now.

FFS!

You reckon TDK would make it to the states? ;)

Can't wait to see/hear this thing at full chat again. My ears are still ringing from that wheelspin you did next to me at that meet in 1948 :(

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Bought a single xenon projector a while back, then managed to have nicksons set off him which were alot more built up, they were clouded and not 100% according to him, the OCD in the boy must be on another level as they are literally perfect, only got round to fitting one before close of play and a quick pic after i got the bumper back on shows the state of progress.. Everyone has always said visually the car is 99%, the only thing letting it down has been lack of projectors over the years, well thats obviously not going to be a problem from here on out. a little mod i've waited for years but it makes the car look SO MUCH better, well it will when i fit and buy the xenon bulbs in february.

:eek:

Looking absolutely awesome Naith!

Must have been some crossed wires over Facebook, let me correct!

There is only one loom needed to connect the headlights up mate, not two.

You're so close, the loom connecting the lights to the car is the only thing missing. Unsure on brand new price, but if Ads can get you a decent price then happy days! Mine all came in the same box fortunately.

No splicing needed either! Plug and play. The headlights plug into the loom, and the loom connects to where the old headlights did (Unsure as to what it is actually called, there are lots of electrical connections in that little black box). Just route it in all the same places the old loom was. One problem I had, was the headlight loom didn't have the plug for the bonnet switch for the alarm. Easy and simple to transfer over, just something to be wary of.

Levelling sensors aren't slam panel mounted. Front and rear axle. More ball ache to get sorted than actually fitting the xenons. I've got the sensors and loom, just not the time or effort to get them sorted (as they require programming via a Renault CLiP to work).

Xenons work fine without them, they just won't auto level when you've got a heavy load in the back of the car. Meh.

Anyways. Awesome as ever Mr Ariane.

thanks for your input mate, really helpful!

I didn't have a clue about it being a single loom, if it runs down one side what about the other side? or am i being totally thick as funk there?!

As in if one side connects to the new loom what does the other side connect too? the wiring i have now already in?

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
thanks for your input mate, really helpful!

I didn't have a clue about it being a single loom, if it runs down one side what about the other side? or am i being totally thick as funk there?!

As in if one side connects to the new loom what does the other side connect too? the wiring i have now already in?

Not a problem mate, anytime!!

Yep, single loom.

The wires for your current headlights travel across the slam panel and reconvene on the passenger side before routing into the black box where the big white plug goes.

Exactly the same for the xenon units.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
How does a car that moves once a year still look so f*cking awesome. :eek:

ps. You still need to let me know about Nick's mate. Rhia keeps asking me. Lol.

No I have one sat waiting for me, sabelt. Finding the money to pay for it is a chore though. I'll only ever have one bucket in it too...