ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race battery's

megane 265/clio 182
I need a new battery on my 182 track car was looking at race battery's? Car only gets used ocasionaly on track od day on road. I know they like to be kept in use or go flat easy. I have a solar trickle charger which can leave plugged in. What would people go for and are they easy to mount if wanted in same place cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're buying one, it would make sense to relocate it at the same time mate. I put mine behind the passenger seat. Then put a cut off switch in the Live wire too.

I've got a Varley Red top 25. Works a treat. Car doesn't get much use. But then when I know it'll be weeks before I start it next I do try and put it on trickle charge.

Alfa GTA
Oddesy 25 for me :)

Attachments

• IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    369.6 KB · Views: 218
I use a Powervamp (can't remember model number) battery, relocated behind the passenger seat with a cut-off switch. I've had the cut-off switch switched off for at least a month before and the car started up fine without needing to charge the battery.

<----- Relocation pics in the last few posts on my project thread.

Alfa GTA
I made a plate for the bottom to match the shape where the old battery goes out off 3mm aluminium from eBay, and I bought a cage to fit the battery from a company online ill see if I can find what company later, then I pop riveted the cage to the plate, all in cost bout 40 notes for that set up but looks stock so I'm happy with that

Attachments

• IMG_1520.JPG
    IMG_1520.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 153
  Alfa GTA
I've got the same to mount, did you use the odyssey terminals to connect to standard wiring? and what cage did you use? i'm keeping o/e location too for ease of fitment tbh

I used fittings I bought from demon tweeks, think they had a m6 thread bolt and then they just screwed into that, have a look on there web site they only do the one kind and that's the ones I had

megane 265/clio 182
Pure Motorsport I mean how much cable do I need to relocate to behind passenger seat ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
Bit of a thread revival but didn't think its new thread worthy, hopefully people will see this!

I'm looking at the Odyssey 25 - PC680/redtop 25 battery but I'd like to go as small and light as possible so could I get away with the Odyssey 20/PC545?

Will it have enough cold cranking amps? Plan on keeping it in the bay if this makes a difference (colder etc)? No aircon or radio to power.

Thanks

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Powerlite would be worth a look - https://www.powerlite-units.com/lithium-ion-batteries.html

Got a PS30 in my Punto. Bought from the Green Spark Plug Company, asked them which they'd recommend for my usage and they went back to Powerlite with the enquiry.
Fitted spring time last year, occasional road and track use and was sat in the garage on charge when parked up, car has radio/alarm. Think I left it off charge for a week to test it, had no issues.
Dropped nearly 10kg after I'd modified the battery bracket to accept it, managed to fit a catch tank in the space it saved as well.

Tempted to say I could of got away with the PS20.

I accidentally left it off charge for two weeks at the start of this year, not sure if that has killed it or not yet. Put it back on charge and the car started after a couple of hours. Just going to cross my fingers til I bother to use it again and see how long it lasts off charge!

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
That would be amazing becuase it's more in my budget and its tiny! The CCA looks good too. Hmmm

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
I have the PS09, and it's been without issues. I do disconnect the battery after each trackday though.
Ah thats promising then. I drive it once a week and about 6 track days a year (hopefully) so isnt used much. I want to keep it in the engine bay so ill have to sort out a way of disconnecting it after ive locked the car. Maybe just leave the bonnet unlocked (ill have aero catches soon anyway). Might cause alarm problems though. I'll make it work!

David172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 M135i
How would you keep central locking with an isolator switch? It would need to be on to lock the car from the outside?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'm using this mobility scooter battery in my type r engined mr2. Cranks the engine over ridiculously fast, is nice and cheap but I can't confirm what it's like over time as I haven't run the car on the road yet.

Screenshot_20200220_232702_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
YUASA make some good batteries so longevity should be acceptable,I have used both myself and the odyssey is superior I'm still on the same odyssey battery now for the last 5 years, the trick is to charge them when required with a proper AGM charger or trickle charge them and they will last.SJ.

My car came with a Varley redtop 20 which was near new. Dummy here kept letting it go flat and eventually it blew a cell and took my ECU with it. So either keep them on trickle charge when not in use or disconnect them.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
I dont think li ion batteries like a long cable run on them and seem to be best off in engine bay