ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Racing Blue ph1 ITB : 2010 track season updates

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Jeez thats crazy carl did it hit a kerb or something?

Can't believe you didn't build the engine yourself anyway tbh

nope, does look like it tho.

Sideways through an oilseed rape field at 80/90mph, must have hit a big rock as it damaged two wheels and collapsed one of the coilovers :dapprove:

Carl

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Saw the state of your front struts today, was a right mess, broke the piston off the shaft, Lol

haha yeah i have been speaking to Curtis, they have been re-built now and should have them on friday.

Curtis has really got his act together in terms of customer service, he has been excellent and would recommend him to anyone.

What were you getting done at AST like Burp?

Carl

172 Race Car
He had a problem period when he was taking over AST (it has nothing to do with Powerstation anymore but he is still based in the same building) I think he does amazingly well cosidering he does it all himself and has no staff. His phone is constantly ringing. I wouldn't use anyone else.

I was there as he was rebuilding your dampers, I pop in all the time as I live down the road. Was disscussing adjustmets to our race car.

He has changed the travel on yours now to the same as ours, using a bigger stop inside (not sure of the technical jargon) will make it stronger and eliminate flex.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
He had a problem period when he was taking over AST (it has nothing to do with Powerstation anymore but he is still based in the same building) I think he does amazingly well cosidering he does it all himself and has no staff. His phone is constantly ringing. I wouldn't use anyone else.

I was there as he was rebuilding your dampers, I pop in all the time as I live down the road. Was disscussing adjustmets to our race car.

He has changed the travel on yours now to the same as ours, using a bigger stop inside (not sure of the technical jargon) will make it stronger and eliminate flex.

Ah nice one. He said he shortened the stroke so they are abit more durable. Just been Reading your thread. How do you get so much camber? Curreently got the ast top mounts but do you use camber bolts aswell?

Thanks
carl

172 Race Car
Dont need camber bolts, they have slotted holes.

iirc you are using the top mounts to give you camber?

You really need to use them for castor as the phase 1 has so little castor standard. More castor gives negative camber when cornering meaning less static camber is needed. Phase 2's have more castor and I think this is due to the lower arms. We have 182 cup bottom arms on ours and with the top mounts set to give max castor this gives us about 3.5deg. Stock phase 1 is about 1 deg iirc. Its still not enough in the ideal world but the only way to improve it more is to cut out the strt tops, fabricate new and use some other cars top mounts (Like 480.bhp was doing with his trophy) The only down side to mega castor is heay steering but not a problem with pas.

We could get -3.5deg camber by just using the stock shock bolts and slotted holes. To get more we have changed the top bolt from the standard M14 to a M12 high tensile cap head bolt.

As said in my thread tyre temps is the only way to set camber properly. But you can get an idea by watching tyre wear

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Dont need camber bolts, they have slotted holes.

iirc you are using the top mounts to give you camber?

You really need to use them for castor as the phase 1 has so little castor standard. More castor gives negative camber when cornering meaning less static camber is needed. Phase 2's have more castor and I think this is due to the lower arms. We have 182 cup bottom arms on ours and with the top mounts set to give max castor this gives us about 3.5deg. Stock phase 1 is about 1 deg iirc. Its still not enough in the ideal world but the only way to improve it more is to cut out the strt tops, fabricate new and use some other cars top mounts (Like 480.bhp was doing with his trophy) The only down side to mega castor is heay steering but not a problem with pas.

We could get -3.5deg camber by just using the stock shock bolts and slotted holes. To get more we have changed the top bolt from the standard M14 to a M12 high tensile cap head bolt.

As said in my thread tyre temps is the only way to set camber properly. But you can get an idea by watching tyre wear

Thanks for that :)

will have to investigate mine.

Whats the difference between the 182 cup bottom arms and 172 bottom arms?

Carl

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Coilovers have been re-built so expect them to turn up tomorrow. Wheels have been repaired.

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00736.jpg

Carl

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
New engine is built!!! Craig has finally got his act together. Looks excellent.

003.jpg

004.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

018-1.jpg

019.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

spec:
F4R engine re-bored to 2.1ltr (2066cc)
Wossner Forged Pistons (12.8:1) 84mm
Catcam Forged Conrods
Catcam 423 Race/Rally Cams (VVT Delete)
Jenvey 48mm Throttle Bodies
Jenvey 120mm Trumpets
Catcam Uprated Valve Springs
ACL Race main/thrust bearings
King Race big end bearings
Full Race spec Headwork (AP Developments)
OMEX 600 ECU
Lightened Billet Flywheel
Catcam Adjustable Vernier Pulleys
Catcam ARP Bolts
Full Samco Hose Set
Helix Paddle Clutch

Carl

TrackCar & F30 330d
Engine looks nice.

I was confused when i was looking at the pictures of the cam cover with the holes cut out. But now i see the yellow one :)

With having 120mm trumpets will you have any issues with the filter being squashed up to the bonnet?

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Engine looks nice.

I was confused when i was looking at the pictures of the cam cover with the holes cut out. But now i see the yellow one :)

With having 120mm trumpets will you have any issues with the filter being squashed up to the bonnet?

yeah with 120mm its very close with the bonnet, if not touching the bonnet.

People have used the 120mm trumpets before so it should be fine.

Carl

Cro

Meg'd r27
Ooooooooooooooooh exciting stuff dude! Are upgrading from 45s or did you always have 48s?

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Removed the engine on Saturday. Ready for a tidy up and new engine to be fitted within the next week or two if Craig drops it off tomorrow.

RenaultClio12-06-10-Engineremoval9.jpg

RenaultClio12-06-10-Engineremoval10.jpg

RenaultClio12-06-10-Engineremoval13.jpg

RenaultClio12-06-10-Engineremoval14.jpg

RenaultClio12-06-10-Engineremoval19.jpg

RenaultClio12-06-10-Engineremoval26.jpg

RenaultClio12-06-10-Engineremoval25.jpg

Carl

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
built up the ITB's ready for new engine.

Jenvey 48mm bodies with 120mm trumpets.

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Well on with the engine/engine bay now.

Fully pained engine bay:

RenaultClio17217-06-10-Enginebay1.jpg

RenaultClio17217-06-10-Enginebay6.jpg

RenaultClio17217-06-10-Enginebay11.jpg

Added some Nimbus heatshield (will be adding some stainless bolts to make it look a bit neater)

RenaultClio17217-06-10-Enginebay19.jpg

RenaultClio17217-06-10-Enginebay20.jpg

Bought 4 new Speedline 2118'2 and got my other 4 sprayed and a medium set of slicks fitted. Had a guy who used to be in charge of toyota's Le-Man teams tyres check the slicks over, separate them into sets and mark the compounds as well as providing me with some tyre softner.

Now have:
4x Toyo R888
12x Michelin Medium compound slicks
4x Yokohama Parada Spec II

RenaultClio17217-06-10-Slicktyres1.jpg

RenaultClio17217-06-10-Slicktyres3.jpg

New engine is getting fit tomorrow, how it looks tonight.

RenaultClio17217-06-10-EngineGearbo.jpg

RenaultClio17217-06-10-EngineGea-1.jpg

Thanks
Carl

Coupe/Defender V8
simply epic

I'd ask how you're finding the 120 trumpets once it's done but I'm pretty sure it'd be hard to tell amongst the mass of internal beefage. I bet it'll be well worth the wait.

Last edited: