ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Racing Blue ph1 ITB : 2010 track season updates

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
Earlier this year
Me and Bazzon decided that we didnt want to destroy our RS's on track so we came to plan of buying a cheap car to do track days. The plan was to either buy a 172 or a valver. Since the cost were split 50/50 we decided to go for a ph1 172. We saw one being advertised on here which we were interested in, shame it was 5 hours drive away in london. Ofcourse me and my dad are stupid enough to do that drive. When we arrived at london we found this:

RenaultClio172Ph14.jpg

Renault Clio 172 ph1 'W reg'
taxed and mot'd
cambelt recently done

also had a few mods
Catcams 420s
matched inlets
Powerflow SS exhaust + decat
Relocated open induction behind headlight
Relocated battery to boot
Braided brake lines
Eibach Proline springs
Solid strut tops
Half Roll cage
+ other pieces

on the way back from london we decided to stop by at coventry to meet up with my brother to show him the car.

RenaultClio172Ph11.jpg

RenaultClio172Ph12.jpg

RenaultClio172Ph13.jpg

Up till now
The car has had a few changes since we first picked it up. Its had a few problems along the way aswell such as the gearbox only lasting 3 days after collecting the car. Luckily we had a spare gearbox in which we had rebuilt and strengthend. We also fitted a new clutch.

RenaultClioph1172-Gearboxrepair6.jpg

RenaultClioph1172-Gearboxrepair8.jpg

RenaultClioph1172-Newclutch2.jpg

We bought another set of OZ f1 alloys and sprayed them anthracite (looks green :dead:) a couple of months after buying the car we were at our first track day at Croft. This was part of the RSownersclub and we had such a good laugh.

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4816.jpg

video
[youtube]h_Lu60V1piY[/youtube]

We did the track car with most of the interior still in the car so we decided to remove most of it. Major stripping commenced:

IMG_6476.jpg

IMG_6473.jpg

IMG_6472.jpg

At this time we fitted new Corbeau seats (would like to change them next year) and footrest for passenger (made from alu so weights f**k all)

Since getting the car we could tell that it was not running how it should. The car was running on stock mapping with cams and mods so was overfueling. Because of this we decided to visit Paul at RStuning who did a custom map for us gaining approx 10bhp. The car only made 183bhp on RStunings rollers, paul does inform us that standard 172's only make 160bhp on his rollers so we were pleased with the results.

IMG_6748.jpg

Picture020-1.jpg

video
[youtube]UH7ZiO5aVdQ[/youtube]

We then did another track day at Croft, this time an open pit day. The morning session was going well with the sun shining and the car going very well. The afternoon saw very heavy showers, this didnt stop me and bazzon from pushing the car. On my 2nd outing of the afternoon the car was performing really well and i was finding grip where nobody seemed to. This meant i passed many cars until i came up behind a 500bhp skyline. I followed it for a lap or so nearly going into the back of it at corners. Then it would just floor it and leave us at the straights. Human error then kicked in with me spinning off at approx 90mph backwards into a corn field. No damage was done apart from some scratched paint and lots of corn hidden in the car lol

CornClio1.jpg

IMG_7873copy.jpg

IMG_7874copy.jpg

We noticed that after removing the weight the car had alot of body roll when hitting corners. To counter this we agreed on putting some money together and getting some AST coilovers. These were provided 2nd hand from FMP's time attack car. They feature stiffer eibach rear springs and stiff AST springs on the front. Ideal.

028.jpg

029.jpg

DSC07106.jpg

DSC07094.jpg

We also removed the aircon and fitted a cup alternator setup

DSC07087.jpg

DSC07108.jpg

DSC07113.jpg

How it looked until recently

6.jpg

8.jpg

1.jpg

7.jpg

09 oct 2008
The car is in the bodyshop, everything has been stripped from it

Dalton_081008_080.jpg

Dalton_081008_077.jpg

Dalton_081008_078.jpg

Dalton_081008_076.jpg

to be continued.........

Track 172 & Golf R32
Re: PH1 172 Track Car, abit special

looks an excellent project.. i really want to do something like this eventualy.. look forward to seein the next update ;)

titanium ph1

another really good ph1 project bet it will look really good in RB!!!!;)

Chocolate Bar™

racing blue should look good if thats the plan :)

yellowsub007.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

f**k about!!!

Thats going a bit 'all out' on the paint for a track car isn't it?!

Wicked project though.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

looking good ;), what splitter you using mate? Think i'm gonna turn my Ph2 from fast road/track back to normal & start getting my Ph1 172 along the same lines as you guys ;)

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

looking good ;), what splitter you using mate? Think i'm gonna turn my Ph2 from fast road/track back to normal & start getting my Ph1 172 along the same lines as you guys ;)

its just a standard cup splitter

B/G 182 + PH1 Track

The splitter is a CUP one of my 182 FF cos i have a Carbon one, it doesnt fit perfect but its ok.

B/G 182 + PH1 Track

There are a few things planned for the near future and a few more for a later date :p

Combo

great looking project lads, wish i had the time for something like this!

Golf TDI

i love the back end on this . in about a year when insurance goes down i plan on doing the ph2 back end conversion . what colour is the car going now ?

C

clvs2222

looks cracking. hope your spraying it liquid yellow! will be awsome. good to see you know what your doing...

B/G 182 + PH1 Track

Just recieved these back today, new set of parada spec 2 on them aswell.

Renault_Clio_PH1_-_White_wheels_4.jpg

Renault_Clio_PH1_-_White_wheels_10.jpg

alien green rs133

now that its gonna be blue i hope that means i get a go at some point

i can vouch to how fast this car actually is, exhaust is pap though tbh get it to AAS!!!

also paint corners yellow :D like the rally car :D

NWStages2007a.jpg

B/G 182 + PH1 Track

Whatever Hutchie :D, you dont happen to have a spare set of speed lines in the garage do you ?

alien green rs133

Whatever Hutchie :D, you dont happen to have a spare set of speed lines in the garage do you ?

dout it fella, and there also not mine to lend out, he woundn't let me borrow some while i got my alloys refirb'd thus still havent had them refirb'd

B/G 182 + PH1 Track

UPDATE

Interior of the car has been painted. Forgot to mention, that Every un-needed bit of metal inside has also been cut out :D

15102008111.jpg

15102008112.jpg

15102008113.jpg

15102008114.jpg

15102008115.jpg

15102008116.jpg

15102008117.jpg

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

just to add, the sills etc will be going the same colour as the body of the car.

excellent work bar and baz. cant wait to see the ph1 ready :)
good work.........

jay

B/G 182 + PH1 Track

Will try to explain.

Barron bought a car with a cup engine in it. We removed this engine and put it in to his 172(which had a blown engine) this was all set up with a new alternator so the aircon worked in his 172. This left us with a cup alternator and all the brackets, so these were Reconditioned. and then fitted to the track car.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182

the secret is out!
one of few Racing Blue ph1 172's in the world :D

pics of it in the spray booth today

Clio_PH1__20-10-08_3.jpg

Clio_PH1__20-10-084-1.jpg

Clio_PH1__20-10-08_2.jpg

Clio_PH1__20-10-08_1.jpg

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

Sweeeet guys! get these poly carb windows sorted, i need some one else to go through the trial & error f**k up stage so that i dont have to :rasp:

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

Thats gonna look spot on fella!!! Looks like a nice finish too.