ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Radiator fan

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a random post, but in all the years of ownership, I don't think I've ever heard the radiator fan kick in? Even when I was sat in queuing traffic on the motorway years ago and it was low 30C weather outside.

It did cross my mind that the fan could be broken perhaps? It does spin fine if I flick it with my fingers, so its not seized.

Is there any sure fire way of testing the radiator fan? Kidding it to start spinning or something?

Cheers.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
On my Mini I disconnected the fan connection and put 12v straight into it to see if it worked. .

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a random post, but in all the years of ownership, I don't think I've ever heard the radiator fan kick in? Even when I was sat in queuing traffic on the motorway years ago and it was low 30C weather outside.

It did cross my mind that the fan could be broken perhaps? It does spin fine if I flick it with my fingers, so its not seized.

Is there any sure fire way of testing the radiator fan? Kidding it to start spinning or something?

Cheers.
Mine never kicked on, ran RSTuner diagnostics when I bought one and turned out it couldn't kick on, Mick at Diamond sorted out some wiring and now works fine. Can't say I've noticed it kick on since then though tbh.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The fan is pretty quiet on them, i only heard mine kick in when next to walls i.e. mcds drive through. Id expect overheating issues if you have sat in traffic and its not working.

Can test it with can clip if you want to be sure. Alternatively monitor cooling temp on obd and fan should cut in around 98/99deg from memory.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Tried the aircon - fan immediately kicked in - and back off again once switched off. So that's clearly working.

I believe there are two modes for the fan, is that true? Low and high speed?

I've got some recent OBD logs - so I'll check out the temp on those as per @Brigsy 's suggestion too.

Cheers.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
There certainly is low speed and high speed for fan, low speed on with ac.

High speed comes on at 99degrees.

Screenshot_20240624_111732_OneDrive.jpg

I dont think you will have an issue with it but here are the diagnostics from the manual.
Screenshot_20240624_111820_OneDrive.jpg

Screenshot_20240624_111906_OneDrive.jpg