ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RB 182 Project

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Picked this up from @Cads last weekend, arrived at around 2am on Saturday morning. Not done much to it yet, but should do as a bit of a project. Long term plan is to keep this and sort out all the issues then just enjoy it as it is.

Delivered spec:
Miltek exhaust including decat pipe
Espace V6 Airbox
Cooksport springs
Yanoo quick shift
Couple of carbon fibre bits on the exterior

Plans:
Sort rust spots and poor paint work on the rear arch
Replace rear ABS sensor, currently bringing up three lights on the dash
Refit some standard parts (Airbox and some interior/exterior bits)
Sort other minor issues (Rusted bonnet catch, air con...)

Arriving:
20201114_012558.jpg

20201122_085753.jpg
20201122_085812.jpg

First issue was the interior light, didn't really light anything up and constantly glowed even when it was off. Had a few canbus LEDs so promptly replaced:
20201117_200118.jpg

Next job was to give the engine bay a clean and fit an engine cover.

20201121_162731.jpg

Rusted bonnet catch:
20201122_092613.jpg

Cleaned and replaced:
20201122_094200.jpg

Next job is to sort the mechanical issues, rust spots and mismatched paint. Also planning to go for a slightly quieter exhaust system...

Attachments

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 6
I had a catch in my eBay basket for ages. I never thought it would clean up that well. Nicely done.

I wonder if the interior LED was the cause of the non starting issue?? Must have been a drain.

I look forward to seeing the progress on this. 👍

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
I had a catch in my eBay basket for ages. I never thought it would clean up that well. Nicely done.

I wonder if the interior LED was the cause of the non starting issue?? Must have been a drain.

I look forward to seeing the progress on this. 👍
Probably the same one I bought, the plastic pin doesn't seem to be the best fit although it doesn't appear to do much other than stop it from dangling when the bonnet is open so not too bothered about that.

Got a quote for the rust and paintwork to be corrected, booked in for later this week.
It also appears as if the OS rear quarter has been replaced at some point due to the arch not being rolled and the join at the back under the boot being slightly off, the car has never been declared in an accident and cant find any paperwork to prove it has ever been replaced or why...
Could be why rust has appeared on that panel although the body shop did note it was a very good repair/replacement otherwise.

Current paintwork:
20201122_084109.jpg
20201122_084116.jpg
20201122_084128.jpg
20201122_111752.jpg
20201122_084102.jpg
20201122_084037.jpg

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Just a quick update whilst the car is getting the poor/rusted paintwork and a few dents seen to, due to be picked up on Friday:

20201125_092258.jpg

A bit of a better picture of one of the dents that appears to have been repaired previously but just not very well!

20201124_164757.jpg

ABS sensor replaced, cat and mounting kit fitted, split exhaust hanger replaced, driveshaft replaced due to the split oversized CV boot and all dash lights have disappeared, seemed quite weird not seeing any errors lighting up the dash. Good news is it didn't last long, on the way over to drop the car off for the paintwork the airbag light popped up, will have to check once its back to see if anything has come loose under the seat.

Car sounds much better/quieter with the cat fitted and after securing the exhaust a bit better, no more rattles or vibrations.

Following with interest as this used to be my car. I was the first owner back in 2005/2006 I had the car for a couple of years and never planned to sell it. I had it serviced at the dealer and they had a 197 F1 in the showroom so ended up buying it and part/ex'd the car.

I originally purchased the 182 Trophy (purchased new) and had that car for about 6 weeks but i couldnt fit the baby gear in back seat due to the Recaros so ordered the metallic blue 182 FF from the dealer and moved the trophy on. On pick up day the car i ordered was not the car in the showroom. It was a FF 182 in Racing Blue! I ended up taking this car in the end and loved it.

I did about 25k in the car and was mint when i sold it (i'll dig some pics out). Car was standard other than window tints and racing stripes. I ran the car in properly and it had a hard life but was sympathetic with engine temps etc. I did a number of track days with the car.

A number of years later I saw the car for sale and thought I'll have it back to join the growing number of toys in the garage. Went to view it and the car had been really abused, Bad bodywork, rubbish mods etc. I as very dissapointed and went home without the car.

I stayed in the Renault fold for the next car and purchased a new 250 Megane with Cup chassis and Recaros, mapped it, forge intercooler etc.

Its great to see you bringing the car back to life and look forward to seeing the progress. Its a bit like seeing pics of an old girlfriend who's been banged about a bit and had plenty up her!

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Following with interest as this used to be my car. I was the first owner back in 2005/2006 I had the car for a couple of years and never planned to sell it. I had it serviced at the dealer and they had a 197 F1 in the showroom so ended up buying it and part/ex'd the car.

I originally purchased the 182 Trophy (purchased new) and had that car for about 6 weeks but i couldnt fit the baby gear in back seat due to the Recaros so ordered the metallic blue 182 FF from the dealer and moved the trophy on. On pick up day the car i ordered was not the car in the showroom. It was a FF 182 in Racing Blue! I ended up taking this car in the end and loved it.

I did about 25k in the car and was mint when i sold it (i'll dig some pics out). Car was standard other than window tints and racing stripes. I ran the car in properly and it had a hard life but was sympathetic with engine temps etc. I did a number of track days with the car.

A number of years later I saw the car for sale and thought I'll have it back to join the growing number of toys in the garage. Went to view it and the car had been really abused, Bad bodywork, rubbish mods etc. I as very dissapointed and went home without the car.

I stayed in the Renault fold for the next car and purchased a new 250 Megane with Cup chassis and Recaros, mapped it, forge intercooler etc.

Its great to see you bringing the car back to life and look forward to seeing the progress. Its a bit like seeing pics of an old girlfriend who's been banged about a bit and had plenty up her!
Great to hear some of the car's history. Plans are to return the last few bits to standard bar the exhaust and then just keep, enjoy and maintain it as is. Seems the majority of the issues have since been fixed from when you last saw it, still running a couple of mods, such as the Espace V6 airbox but will definitely be changing that back to standard.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Put theme stripes back on it, they look great with stripes on.
Not too sure on the stripes to be honest, would have to see one in the flesh to make my mind up. Might look into it eventually but it wouldn't be until the rest of the car has been sorted as still a few scuffs on the bumpers and the bonnet. Also the alloys could do with a refurb before then!

Louis

ClioSport Club Member

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good! Do you have any progress pictures to show the blend lines?
What sort of price did this cost you out of interest? Mine need doing!
Approx £350 in total including replacing some of the rivets on the fuel cap, only have before and after pics unfortunately. Just needs a bit of a wash to get some of the dust off now, can see it in some of the photos.

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 6
That’s a great price mate. You've certainly not hung around with this!!
The passenger airbag light popped on after I took the wife out in it. Waggled the connector and it went off again. Seems to be a thing.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
That’s a great price mate. You've certainly not hung around with this!!
The passenger airbag light popped on after I took the wife out in it. Waggled the connector and it went off again. Seems to be a thing.
Yeah airbag light had gone when I picked it up. Just one more lot of mechanical work in December and should only be little things from then on.

Liking the progress, but what has happened to the rubbing strip? Looks like it’s been badly masked?
Not too sure but the strips don't match the rest of the body work and there are a couple of lines like that already on wing mirrors so think it was already like that, dont think the lighting helps much either! Will all get sorted in time as the plastics need matching to the metalwork, seem to have faded slightly worse with age than the metal, just might take a while to get it all there.