ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RB 182 Project

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Picked this up from @Cads last weekend, arrived at around 2am on Saturday morning. Not done much to it yet, but should do as a bit of a project. Long term plan is to keep this and sort out all the issues then just enjoy it as it is.

Delivered spec:
Miltek exhaust including decat pipe
Espace V6 Airbox
Cooksport springs
Yanoo quick shift
Couple of carbon fibre bits on the exterior

Plans:
Sort rust spots and poor paint work on the rear arch
Replace rear ABS sensor, currently bringing up three lights on the dash
Refit some standard parts (Airbox and some interior/exterior bits)
Sort other minor issues (Rusted bonnet catch, air con...)

Arriving:
20201114_012558.jpg

20201122_085753.jpg
20201122_085812.jpg

First issue was the interior light, didn't really light anything up and constantly glowed even when it was off. Had a few canbus LEDs so promptly replaced:
20201117_200118.jpg

Next job was to give the engine bay a clean and fit an engine cover.

20201121_162731.jpg

Rusted bonnet catch:
20201122_092613.jpg

Cleaned and replaced:
20201122_094200.jpg

Next job is to sort the mechanical issues, rust spots and mismatched paint. Also planning to go for a slightly quieter exhaust system...

Attachments

• 20201117_200118.jpg
    20201117_200118.jpg
    639.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 20201121_162242.jpg
    20201121_162242.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 132

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
I had a catch in my eBay basket for ages. I never thought it would clean up that well. Nicely done.

I wonder if the interior LED was the cause of the non starting issue?? Must have been a drain.

I look forward to seeing the progress on this. 👍

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
I had a catch in my eBay basket for ages. I never thought it would clean up that well. Nicely done.

I wonder if the interior LED was the cause of the non starting issue?? Must have been a drain.

I look forward to seeing the progress on this. 👍

Probably the same one I bought, the plastic pin doesn't seem to be the best fit although it doesn't appear to do much other than stop it from dangling when the bonnet is open so not too bothered about that.

Got a quote for the rust and paintwork to be corrected, booked in for later this week.
It also appears as if the OS rear quarter has been replaced at some point due to the arch not being rolled and the join at the back under the boot being slightly off, the car has never been declared in an accident and cant find any paperwork to prove it has ever been replaced or why...
Could be why rust has appeared on that panel although the body shop did note it was a very good repair/replacement otherwise.

Current paintwork:
20201122_084109.jpg
20201122_084116.jpg
20201122_084128.jpg
20201122_111752.jpg
20201122_084102.jpg
20201122_084037.jpg

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Just a quick update whilst the car is getting the poor/rusted paintwork and a few dents seen to, due to be picked up on Friday:

20201125_092258.jpg

A bit of a better picture of one of the dents that appears to have been repaired previously but just not very well!

20201124_164757.jpg

ABS sensor replaced, cat and mounting kit fitted, split exhaust hanger replaced, driveshaft replaced due to the split oversized CV boot and all dash lights have disappeared, seemed quite weird not seeing any errors lighting up the dash. Good news is it didn't last long, on the way over to drop the car off for the paintwork the airbag light popped up, will have to check once its back to see if anything has come loose under the seat.

Car sounds much better/quieter with the cat fitted and after securing the exhaust a bit better, no more rattles or vibrations.

Following with interest as this used to be my car. I was the first owner back in 2005/2006 I had the car for a couple of years and never planned to sell it. I had it serviced at the dealer and they had a 197 F1 in the showroom so ended up buying it and part/ex'd the car.

I originally purchased the 182 Trophy (purchased new) and had that car for about 6 weeks but i couldnt fit the baby gear in back seat due to the Recaros so ordered the metallic blue 182 FF from the dealer and moved the trophy on. On pick up day the car i ordered was not the car in the showroom. It was a FF 182 in Racing Blue! I ended up taking this car in the end and loved it.

I did about 25k in the car and was mint when i sold it (i'll dig some pics out). Car was standard other than window tints and racing stripes. I ran the car in properly and it had a hard life but was sympathetic with engine temps etc. I did a number of track days with the car.

A number of years later I saw the car for sale and thought I'll have it back to join the growing number of toys in the garage. Went to view it and the car had been really abused, Bad bodywork, rubbish mods etc. I as very dissapointed and went home without the car.

I stayed in the Renault fold for the next car and purchased a new 250 Megane with Cup chassis and Recaros, mapped it, forge intercooler etc.

Its great to see you bringing the car back to life and look forward to seeing the progress. Its a bit like seeing pics of an old girlfriend who's been banged about a bit and had plenty up her!

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Following with interest as this used to be my car. I was the first owner back in 2005/2006 I had the car for a couple of years and never planned to sell it. I had it serviced at the dealer and they had a 197 F1 in the showroom so ended up buying it and part/ex'd the car.

I originally purchased the 182 Trophy (purchased new) and had that car for about 6 weeks but i couldnt fit the baby gear in back seat due to the Recaros so ordered the metallic blue 182 FF from the dealer and moved the trophy on. On pick up day the car i ordered was not the car in the showroom. It was a FF 182 in Racing Blue! I ended up taking this car in the end and loved it.

I did about 25k in the car and was mint when i sold it (i'll dig some pics out). Car was standard other than window tints and racing stripes. I ran the car in properly and it had a hard life but was sympathetic with engine temps etc. I did a number of track days with the car.

A number of years later I saw the car for sale and thought I'll have it back to join the growing number of toys in the garage. Went to view it and the car had been really abused, Bad bodywork, rubbish mods etc. I as very dissapointed and went home without the car.

I stayed in the Renault fold for the next car and purchased a new 250 Megane with Cup chassis and Recaros, mapped it, forge intercooler etc.

Its great to see you bringing the car back to life and look forward to seeing the progress. Its a bit like seeing pics of an old girlfriend who's been banged about a bit and had plenty up her!

Great to hear some of the car's history. Plans are to return the last few bits to standard bar the exhaust and then just keep, enjoy and maintain it as is. Seems the majority of the issues have since been fixed from when you last saw it, still running a couple of mods, such as the Espace V6 airbox but will definitely be changing that back to standard.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Put theme stripes back on it, they look great with stripes on.
Not too sure on the stripes to be honest, would have to see one in the flesh to make my mind up. Might look into it eventually but it wouldn't be until the rest of the car has been sorted as still a few scuffs on the bumpers and the bonnet. Also the alloys could do with a refurb before then!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good! Do you have any progress pictures to show the blend lines?
What sort of price did this cost you out of interest? Mine need doing!
Approx £350 in total including replacing some of the rivets on the fuel cap, only have before and after pics unfortunately. Just needs a bit of a wash to get some of the dust off now, can see it in some of the photos.

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
That’s a great price mate. You've certainly not hung around with this!!
The passenger airbag light popped on after I took the wife out in it. Waggled the connector and it went off again. Seems to be a thing.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
That’s a great price mate. You've certainly not hung around with this!!
The passenger airbag light popped on after I took the wife out in it. Waggled the connector and it went off again. Seems to be a thing.

Yeah airbag light had gone when I picked it up. Just one more lot of mechanical work in December and should only be little things from then on.

Liking the progress, but what has happened to the rubbing strip? Looks like it’s been badly masked?
Not too sure but the strips don't match the rest of the body work and there are a couple of lines like that already on wing mirrors so think it was already like that, dont think the lighting helps much either! Will all get sorted in time as the plastics need matching to the metalwork, seem to have faded slightly worse with age than the metal, just might take a while to get it all there.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Just a small update prior to a slightly larger one due next week.
Changed over the mirror switch so it's no longer inverted, only had to buy three before one finally turned up without getting lost.
Also switched the gear knob for the genuine OEM one, the nylon one was a real pain to get off.
Can't seem to insert the photo of the new gear knob without the post breaking but just imagine the standard one and lots of nylon dandruff covering the car from where I cut it off.

Before:
20201210_130842.jpg

20201210_124139.jpg

After:
20201210_130914.jpg

Next up is a refresh of the front suspension and new rear brake discs and pads which should also solve the issues with the handbrake.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
That's great work thus far. Incredibly cheap bodywork too so presume not far gone enough to require chopping and welding. I'm expecting about 700 for mine for same arch as there's rot in it so it'll need replacing fully

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks all, bodywork is good except for the usual filler cap rust which is now sorted. The only other rust appeared to be on a panel that was previously replaced so sort of expected. Anyone know the part number or where I can get the plastic support behind the bumper near the number plate as that could probably do with being replaced eventually due to a few cracks I can see at the back of it?

Will start with the good news, the air con is now working, had to buy a new motor, temperature sensor and some jubilee clips. I did first try some cable ties as you can see below but that wasn't quite up to the job. Also needed recharge of the gas but all seems to be working well with it now, see below a picture of the jubilee clip in position and the gear knob I couldn't include on the last post:
20201114_151134.jpg

20201115_092749.jpg

20201212_130358.jpg

(Nylon mess now cleaned up)

Now for the bad news...

Probably wont be needing the brake pads now as put all upcoming work I had planned on hold now:

Went on a short trip out last night and should have only taken about an hour, ended up taking 4 hours...
The engine cut out multiple times on the journey and was very hesitant to accelerate past 4k revs before it first died, after the first death it struggled to rev past 4k without cutting out each time, but managed to slowly and with lots of frustration get it back. Leaving it overnight doesn't seem to have changed anything either as it is still the same this morning. The gearbox also appears to be crunching now. Had a quick search around but it appears this could be quite a money pit to resolve unless anyone more experienced can offer some suggestions on what to focus on?

I will be keeping the car and fully intend to sort all this in time but have an impending house move and renovation coming up so wont have the time or money to put into fixing this anytime soon, as the house will be taking priority. I was so close to getting this back to the condition I wanted too, only things it needed after the suspension and brakes I was due to do this week, was a quick touch up of the paint on the bumpers.
Luckily I managed to get it stored in the dry and off road before it died for the final time this morning.

I will be keeping an eye out for some of the rarer parts I need and have a proper look at it over the next few months to make a list of everything that I will need when the time comes to bring it back to life.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Spent a bit of time trying to determine what the fault might be and tried a couple of things that were suggested. Switched around the aircon and fuel pump relays and the fault seems to have disappeared although now a Misfire is showing on Cylinder 2 especially when cold but the spark plugs are due to be changed shortly so have ordered a set from @George@RTR_Parts, which arrived the very next day, ready to be installed over Christmas.
Just need to go back in to the relays at some point and figure out what they are to order some replacements.

The last couple of bodywork and paint bits booked in for early next year including the replacement of this:
20201223_144640.jpg

Never noticed this previously the grille was also out of the clips that usually hold it in but that was easy enough to push back in once the bumper was removed, thinking someone may have reversed into it recently, luckily the front of the bumper is otherwise intact.

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
Sorry to hear you're not having much luck recently. I hate selling cars for this very reason!
As I recall the crash box in the bumper was like that when I fitted it. I would have swapped it for the section in the old bumper, but that was missing that section completely!
Hope you get to the bottom of the gremlins soon enough.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear you're not having much luck recently. I hate selling cars for this very reason!
As I recall the crash box in the bumper was like that when I fitted it. I would have swapped it for the section in the old bumper, but that was missing that section completely!
Hope you get to the bottom of the gremlins soon enough.
Well its good to know its probably not been hit then, got a replacement but that wasn't fitting so have just taken the old one out for now and left it empty until the bumper is sorted in the new year.

It was working perfectly when I first got it, just recently there seems to have been a few issues but its an old car and from what I can tell hasn't been kept in the best condition by some previous owners. A lot of the work I find it needs doing are things that have never been done, so its not unexpected or much of a problem.

It seems quite picky on the fuel and fuel stations that it likes, not sure that isn't the cause of most of the issues tbh, especially seeing as the 98/99 probably doesn't get used or replaced much in the middle of nowhere. Closest petrol station that is on a main road and has 98/99 is about 40 mins away, although will try it for the next few tanks and see if that resolves the issues until I can get a chance to replace the plugs next week at least.

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
I must admit, on the odd occasions I filled it up, i always used 99 Ron juice.

Good luck.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of an update, no pictures to show for this one:

Car has been ok since changing over the spark plugs last week and putting in some Redex Advanced, still running a bit rough and a misfire showing but doesn't cut out anymore, almost certain this is going to be the injectors so got a set on the way.

After I get round to changing the injectors over and checked its cleared the fault it will be on to getting the inner tie rods and track rod ends changed on both sides as they are in poor condition, can hear a slight squealing when making sharp turns.

Front bumper now getting resprayed, new bumper support fitted on the side where it was all crushed and just a general touch up all round on some scuffs and stone chips. Also finally getting the faded plastics matched to the rest of the car.

Only other bits done recently are changing over the door bullets, washer blanks and rear badges to the standard set, will get some photos up once everything has been painted and injectors changed over at the weekend, hopefully.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Misfire issue appeared to be getting worse and more often the EML was constantly flashing with a cylinder 3 misfire on the way back from the body shop and was running quite rough so thought it was the right time to change over the injectors.
Purchased a set of nearly new injectors from a breaker hoping at least one of them would be good enough to swap over. Every single one of the nearly new set was reading 16+ so decided to check to see what condition all the current ones were and if any were better.
Injectors checked this morning and think its safe to say that injector 3 was the issue, one injector measuring fine at 14.3, two injectors at 13.0 and the injector on cylinder 3 showing the below...
20210109_120654.jpg

20210109_120701.jpg

All replaced and took for a quick test drive to the petrol station, running as smooth as ever and the EML is no more.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you got the running issues sorted easy enough.
So am I, injector 3 seems to be a common one that needs replacing. Think it must have been the low RON petrol I put in when I first got it and took a gamble on the nearest petrol station that finished it off, won't be making that mistake again.

Last few mechanical bits in the coming weeks, track rod ends and inner ties rods to replace on both sides soon and a service. After that will just be focusing on some minor interior work and eventually getting a standard airbox with the associated pipework, luckily the acoustic valve is still in place, only issue is sourcing a decent quality cold air feed that hasn't fallen apart.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Another update, track rod ends and tie rods replaced along with a service and tracking complete. Car seems a lot quieter now and not as rough, still squeals slightly when turning and sounds a bit rough, hopefully a flush of the power steering fluid should sort that, being just over 100k its probably due replacing anyway.

I had said that was the last of the major work but since decided to sort the leaking gearbox out before it gets worse, it appears to be from an older 172 cup with the circlip design so planning to fit a rebuilt JC5 130 that's currently on its way, clutch will also be changed at the same time. Only other issue which is very minor and probably not worth doing otherwise, is one of the front shocks is starting to weaken but going to use it as an excuse to also change the springs to Eibach Prolines for a closer to OEM spec.

In between all of this I have also fitted an ECU brace made by @CFAB definitely makes it look a bit neater than before and although it was a tight fit the bracket appears to be holding strong with no more ECU wobble, will fiddle with it a bit no doubt next time to try and get it to sit better but haven't had much of a chance to do anything to it besides a the few minutes it took to fit that.

20210122_123743.jpg

20210122_124103.jpg

CFAB

ClioSport Trader
  Cliosport 182 ff
Much better mate.....

Yeah you may need to push the ecu over abit mines a good 5-10mm away so loosen the bolts and have a move about.

You can also bend the tab slightly to make it more level and sit upright. I used a non marking set of pliers. As mine was really bent for some reason.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Waiting for the Gearbox to arrive but is a little delayed due to self isolation at the garage rebuilding it.

Couple of jobs in between this including replacing the airbox back to standard with a K&N filter as seen below, fitting some colour matched washer blanks and headlight restore as they were starting to go yellow and hazy. Once the weather is a bit better (and the car cleaned) will get some photos of how it looks now.

Old airbox (from a Espace V6) which just pulled out in about 5 seconds:
20210130_102447.jpg

Standard 182 Airbox with all pipes being refitted:
20210129_144647.jpg

20210130_102457.jpg

Acoustic valve was still in place and hadn't been removed even though it wasn't used by the Espace airbox so was easy enough to attach the pipe back to it. Just need to fit the rear bracket to the airbox once I find where I put it... The top of the airbox could also do with a clean where the faded inspection label was.

Got the aerial to replace next but unsure if I will get around to it before or after the gearbox, tried a few different head units and antennas and all seem to pick up very few if any stations so will require a new aerial base and to check the wiring. If its the aerial base/wiring will look at getting a combined DAB/FM aerial with suitable head unit installed, currently just a standard Clio Mk2 radio is fitted.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
A few more minor cosmetic jobs done recently including de-pilling, cleaning and treating the front seats. Ignore the cereal box cutting, that had some replacement grille stickers on.

Before:
20210213_142437.jpg

20210213_142444.jpg

20210213_142452.jpg

After:
20210213_144143.jpg
20210213_144150.jpg

Also done the what will probably be the annual headlight restore a little early as they had already started to cloud and go back to yellow.

After:
20210213_164224.jpg

Still due a wash/polish but should have some more time to get a few more things done by the end of this month including the gearbox, shocks and radio/aerial, also this arrived earlier in the week:

received_2989645201266970.jpeg

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
20210221_211743.jpg

20210221_205715.jpg

Moving some more stuff at the weekend and took the Clio because I didn't have that much to get and why not! Soon came to regret that as I went to leave to go back home and the engine wouldn't even turn over. Some diagnostics were taken at about 10pm, starter motor had failed and was no longer working, managed to bump start to get it back as was luckily on a quiet road, gearbox is being replaced in a few days so will bump start it to get it to the garage where the gearbox and starter motor can be replaced.

Due to the Clio now being out of action it gave me a chance to fix the radio and aerial, switched for a shorter DAB aerial and compatible head unit and all works well, no more silent journeys once its running again. Set the head unit to the orange colour the rest of the dash lights are so it didn't look too out of place:
20210222_162545.jpg

20210222_162529.jpg

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
Gearbox and starter motor replaced. Shift feel is so much better and the state of the old gearbox proves it was needed, once removed the oil leak from the bottom end was cleaned and new gaskets fitted.

Old Gearbox, as removed...
rn2.jpg

rn7.jpg

Going to wait on the springs for a bit longer as I had originally planned to change them but most they are quite new so will see how long the cooksports last, as I know they haven't got the best reputation.

Also started to take the sticky interior apart and clean off the rubber, some bits came out better than others whilst a few bits appear to have been replaced with standard black Clio parts at some point so also got a few sticky rubber parts to clean and replace those with.

A couple more minor jobs still to do so will keep updating as and when I get round to those.

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
So despite putting off replacing the springs and shocks it appeared I was given little choice. Heard a loud crack and bang from out the front late at night but looked out to see nothing out of the ordinary. Start the car up at the weekend and immediately think something is off and looked like it was leaning to one side. Got a couple of mins away and the driver side is really bouncy and felt off, drove back and jacked it up to find this:
IMG-20210307-WA0001.jpg

20210308_095631.jpg

The cooksports had snapped, on the front driver side. Managed to source and collect a set of new Eibach Prolines and new genuine cup shocks. Gave the old shocks a clean once off to check for any Renault markings or branding out of curiosity but there were none where I was expecting to see them so can only assume these weren't genuine.
All fitted front and rears and been for a short test prior to getting wheel alignment sorted and much happier, no more knocking from the shocks, far softer and slightly higher ride which is what I wanted, compared to the cooksports and whatever shocks were on it last.

New shocks and springs fitted:
20210308_095303.jpg

Travis

ClioSport Club Member
need to treat the new shocks to a lovely new set of stainless ABS sensor brackets mate!

Thanks, was going to look for some of these, and these look perfect, managed to get the rusted ones off with a lot of effort but wasn't expecting the shocks to be so rusted. Only other part that could do with replacing as they have rusted beyond saving is the top part of the shocks that the springs go between but not sure what to look for...?