ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RB reserection

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I somehow ended up with another clio a few weeks ago in a totally unplanned deal.
A mate that had owned this RB full fat for the last 9 years as a daily driver ,gave me a shout to see if i knew anyone that would be interested in it and the rest is history :smile:
The car had timing belt and dephaser done a year ago but sadly the aux belt went and did the timing , made worse when the recovery driver never fitted the towing eye properly meaning the car rolled off the lorry and took out the drivers door.

So this is how I got the car.
The front bumper was damaged and had been covered in tape to hide the scratches, along with a dead engine and knackered drivers door.

41c15fc0-82c3-4861-a1b5-7a94b8a429ef.png

IMG_7218.jpg

IMG_6657.jpg

Plans at this time was to break it for parts , but as its a rare colour and a 80k mile , 2 owner car i decided to save it .

New door fitted (thanks Stu)
IMG_6740.jpg

Gave it a quick wash and buff
IMG_6739.jpg

Now to tackle the engine

Timing is well out

IMG_6744.jpg

So pulled the head to find 16 bent valves, but the pistons looked un marked.

IMG_6783.jpg

IMG_6786.jpg

Found the rest of the aux belt

IMG_7212.jpg

New head on complete with genuine full aux and timing belt kit

IMG_6795.jpg

Sadly once complete i started the car and there was a knock from the engine , guessing when the valves hit they knocked the shells. So made the choice to scrap that.
So new 70k engine sourced ,dephaser,and full belt kit transferred over and we now have a sweet running engine in the car.

1493559831.jpg

1493559830.jpg

1493461767.jpg

Thats as far as i got before having to go back to work, but I have a new bumper at the paint shop and a pair of new front tires to go on , then it will be ready for an MOT.

Not overly sure if i will keep it or sell it on once done , if i keep it I will fit a set of cooksport springs and leave it at that , the car already has a RS192 exhaust and jetex filter.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
These are the only pics i have on my phone at work , the rest went on a pen drive showing the new engine going in and timing belt being fitted . Including a video of the horseshoe going back in after rotating , knowing how people are so scared of timing these engines.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Be worth keeping it if you have the space, as the work is done now.

Just out of interest, if its a daily (prividing you keep it) why not fit sportlines for a comfier ride?

Thats pretty piss poor from the towing company not fitting the eye correctly. I presume you/the previous owner got compensation?

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what happened with the towing company and the old owner.
My old clio was track only so had AST's and other coilovers on it , all i had heard about springs only were cooksport,cooksport.... never looked into any other options.
If I do keep it it wouldnt be a daily as have the X5 for that and the Lotus for track.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I would definantly recommend eibach sportlines over cooksports. Cooksports are more track focused and although they drop a tad more than the sportlines they don't feel as nice and on a daily, I'd personally have sportlines over cooksports.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Are the Grams the springs that Kam racing are selling ? Really not sure what the plans are for this , but if its going to be used on the road wouldn't want it too hard just lowered a little mainly for looks.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks it really was unplanned , as I had sold off or given away/ binned most of my clio spares .
Luckily its still looking to come in under budget even with having to buy some extra parts and have a bumper sprayed.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Are the Grams the springs that Kam racing are selling ? Really not sure what the plans are for this , but if its going to be used on the road wouldn't want it too hard just lowered a little mainly for looks.

Yeah their the ones.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
You are not going to use that on the road, who are you trying to kid!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
You are not going to use that on the road, who are you trying to kid!
I dont think I would use it on track either to be honest Craig , if anything I would rather swap it for a more track ready car once im done with it. But then have no real need for a track clio either while I have the Lotus.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
I dont think I would use it on track either to be honest Craig , if anything I would rather swap it for a more track ready car once im done with it. But then have no real need for a track clio either while I have the Lotus.
I know mate..., something about a clio means you can't pass up a bargain....!

Your right though with the lotus and the x5.....

get round and sell it to mr Methven, he'll be needing a parts car and you've got the colour match and everything 🙈:smile:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Made a start on this again today .
Picked up my new bumper from the painters and got it built up ready to fit.

1496073221.jpg

I also picked up a set of sportline springs to lower the car a little , and somehow ended up with a set of 15's as well :tongueout:

1496073218.jpg

Hope to get the springs , wheels and bumper fitted up by the end of the week then its MOT time .

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
Made a start on this again today .
Picked up my new bumper from the painters and got it built up ready to fit.

1496073221.jpg

I also picked up a set of sportline springs to lower the car a little , and somehow ended up with a set of 15's as well :tongueout:

1496073218.jpg

Hope to get the springs , wheels and bumper fitted up by the end of the week then its MOT time .
That's how the last one started!!:grimacing:🙈:smile:

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Few more jobs done today , new wheels and spacers fitted along with sportline springs which ideally would of liked to of sat a little lower.

I have a new bonnet to collect as there is a dent and some lacquer peel on this one , but apart from that i think its ready for MOT

Will hopefully get a few hours to give it a quick detail at some point swell as the paint is a little flat as the cars been sitting around for a while.

1496181712.jpg

1496181715.jpg

1496181717.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Put the standard wheels back on with a pair of new tyres. Hope to get it in for an mot tomorrow.

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/neil_a_/Mobile%20Uploads/1496611212.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/neil_a_/Mobile%20Uploads/1496611209.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I was planning on keeping them incase i get another track clio at some point , will probably stick a set of AO48's on them.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks it has came up quite well and still not had a proper detail , has a few age related marks but overall tidy for its age.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I started to clean up the seats the other day , they are really good for bolster ware .
The steering wheel is good as well , think it may have had replacement thumb grips in the past.

1496772715.jpg

1496772714.jpg

The car now also has an mot :)
The tester did pick up on the pitting/rust on the back discs with the car having sat for a few months so will get new disc/bearings ordered , also slight play in a front ball joint so will replace that as well but overall not too bad.

Have decided to just sell it on as well as I have no real use for it just now .

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Bored at work so had some time to upload a few more pics to photobucket
New aux belt kit

IMG_6802.jpg

IMG_6966.jpg

New timing belt kit
IMG_6811.jpg

IMG_6954.jpg

IMG_6952.jpg

RS inlet
IMG_6798.jpg

Upper inlet painted , carbon canister feed was modded to work with the 172 inlet
IMG_6806.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I hate these kind of posts but what sort of price should i list this at , I have a price in mind but dont want to over/under price it ?