ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RB182 : Coilovers on for me, too.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Well, before I bought the car, I was planning on dropping it, putting an exhaust system on, perhaps a JMS induction kit and black powder coading a few the engine components. Then moving on to a new set of wheels. It's been a bit of a slower process than I'd have wanted, but TBH I was really pleased with the car how it was so was in no real rush at all. Anyway, I had my KTR coilovers fitted last week, as well as a set of Alloy strut tops in gloss black. I went for these as I didn't want to spend a hell of a lot of cash, and I won't be tracking the car or going into corners hell for leather on a day to day basis.

The guys who fitted and aligned the coilovers said it was shockingly stiff and handled like it was on rails. They were really surprised as they're used to fitting kits on Evo's and higher performance cars.

First impressions were it certainly was stiff. I could definitely feel the road and anything on it and the standard springs and shocks boxed up in the boot were making a bit of a racket, too. I noticed that the front wheels were also rubbing on the arch lining trim which sticks out because of the front bumper bracket. Apparently this is a common problem when lowering and needs either cut back or the car raised a notch or two (cheers for the info, guys). As I was perfectly happy with the height, I decided to have the bracket modified and coated and since then it's been fine. It'll still rub slightly on full lock, but far better than it was originally. As for the bumpiness and feeling everything, you get used to it. It's a lot quieter since I took out the old springs in the box, and I took my mate home from football the other night and he didn't notice anything at all, as he usually comments on change.

As for the ride and the look of the car, I'm really pleased. You can feel when giving it some the car will snap back into position rather than roll, something I've not felt since I had my P1 which also seemed to align itself automatically very well. You also feel much lower down in the car which is great, and from an exterior view it looks so much better with a much more direct and sporty looking stance. The pictures really don't do it justice, IMO. Still really need that Cup spoiler to sort the rear end out, but again at the moment not that fussed in rushing about to do things as I'm really content in what I've got. I think an exhaust is next on the list of things to do, when that time comes.

Anyway, before shots (It's only a Sony cybershot, so nothing Oscar worthy) :

DSC03405.jpg

DSC03402.jpg

As it is now :

DSC03461.jpg

DSC03458.jpg

DSC03449.jpg

DSC03462.jpg

DSC03464.jpg

DSC03459.jpg

It is only a car, I guess, but I'm enjoying this one much more than I did my original 182, and although I still miss the P1, WR1 and M3, the little Renault is doing its job just fine :cool:

RB One Eight Two
Another RB on KTR coilies :cool: Looks great mate, they make such a difference to the look of the car compared with the standard springs. Give them a couple of days and they will settle abit more ;)

Cup spoiler like you said would finish the rear end off lurvly

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
You sold the csl????

It wasn't a CSL, just made to look like one. But yeah, it went a few months back. I actually preferred the WR1 to it, but it was a cracking car nevertheless.

Paid off a loan and the missus got a newer family car, so I got the change.

DSC02365.jpg

DSC02363.jpg

DSC02460.jpg

DSC02448.jpg

It wasn't a CSL, just made to look like one. But yeah, it went a few months back. I actually preferred the WR1 to it, but it was a cracking car nevertheless.

Paid off a loan and the missus got a newer family car, so I got the change.

You told me it was a real csl!

Lol who you think you are, ollie? Lol next you'll be telling me your snagging a bird called Gemma..... Oh hang on lol.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Looking smart :)

Really don't like the standard wheels though, needs a new set - will look nice when its done :)

I think they suit the Clio, TBH. I didn't like them at first on my original BG182, mind.

Another RB on KTR coilies :cool: Looks great mate, they make such a difference to the look of the car compared with the standard springs. Give them a couple of days and they will settle abit more ;)

Cup spoiler like you said would finish the rear end off lurvly

Indeed. Thanks buddy.

182 cup Inferno
Nice write up and pics mate, im also waiting to order some KTR coilovers for me cup. how much did they cost you to get fitted and aligned if you dont mind me asking

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Nice write up and pics mate, im also waiting to order some KTR coilovers for me cup. how much did they cost you to get fitted and aligned if you dont mind me asking

They were £150 fitted and aligned, although that was reduced as it took the guy a couple of hours extra to get 100% alignment and perfect on all four corners.

How you finding it after such Torquey cars?

It's basically get in, thrash it about, get out. There's no turbo warming up or cooling down, there's no RWD worries or petrol consumption/running cost alerts. It's just a great car to get in and have fun in, which is exactly why I chose the Clio again. I was very close to buying a glacier white R26 Megane, but pulled out at the last second. That would have been £12.6k. This was £5.8k. Bargain. Only done 28k miles.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Some people say they are stiff, some people say they are very soft. I'm hoping I find them nice and stiff like you do.

Well, I'll be realistic on my behalf, mate, I've never had coilovers fitted before to any car, and the last time I had a lowered car was a Cavalier GSi2000 on Bilsteins back in 2000/01. So I'm thinking it's very stiff as I'm used to quite soft, comfortable cars.

It may be different for a regular lowerer. :cool:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Arch gap.... oh wait.

Looks great Scutch.

Does it run like a Swiss watch?

That is indeed a bloody bargain. I'm going to either end up
In one when i get paid next month or get a mint 328i sport (e36) can't decide lol.

DB.

BMW 440i
Looks awesome mate! :)

So you feel it's an improvement on standard? How do you think they would fair on track?

Sort out the pea shooter exhaust tips now! :p

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Eeee! Manuel! Si!

His Grandaughter is mint tho.

Right?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Looks awesome mate! :)

So you feel it's an improvement on standard? How do you think they would fair on track?

Sort out the pea shooter exhaust tips now! :p

Yeah like I said, it seems to snap back into line quickly now. No body roll.

My old one had one of the first custom jig Pro-Speed exhausts on. It was an awesome sound.

dsc002942kj.jpg

Well, I'll be realistic on my behalf, mate, I've never had coilovers fitted before to any car, and the last time I had a lowered car was a Cavalier GSi2000 on Bilsteins back in 2000/01. So I'm thinking it's very stiff as I'm used to quite soft, comfortable cars.

It may be different for a regular lowerer. :cool:

I have only ever had cars lowered on springs also.

I find my 172 cup is fairly stiff as standard. In all fairness as long as its not softer than that I am happy.

Hopefully should fit them on Saturday if I can get the entusiasm. Over a year they have been in the box in my loft!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I have only ever had cars lowered on springs also.

I find my 172 cup is fairly stiff as standard. In all fairness as long as its not softer than that I am happy.

Hopefully should fit them on Saturday if I can get the entusiasm. Over a year they have been in the box in my loft!

LOL. You need enthusiasm. Get them on, then get some pics up! :cool:

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
looks loads better! :) what did you do to the bumper bracket as i get a rubbing somtimes?

Arch lining pulled back, grind down bracket, give a coat of Hammerite or similar to stop the elements having their merry way on the bare metal, then put the lining back. Mine has had the lining at that point removed, though.

Skoda fabia Vrs
Looks smart that does!:cool: I wana lower the twingo rs but dont wana mess with the handling of the cup pack..

Megane RS250
Looks really nice that mate, as you mentioned it just needs a cup spoiler to finish off the rear IMO