ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RB182 project thread. From daily driver to weekend toy

Well I think its about time I started a Project thread for my 182.
I've owned it for just over two years now and has done me well. I originally bought it with about 80,000 on the clock and as it has been my daily driver it is now sitting on 117k.

When the car was bought it was a completely standard RB 182 FF, This soon changed as I required a new exhaust after a few months so opted to drive up to Fred@BTM to get a full yozza decat system fitted.:cool:
Oh my! what noise, proper epic sound to it luckily I don't do much motorway driving its mainly twisty A and B roads so I tend to enjoy the exhaust noise, although I have had to drive it 25 miles home from work once with a splitting headache and I honestly could have cried

Here is a quick picture from the advert (not Clio oil on the driveway) :p

media.jpg

Other work done shortly after owning the car was to replacement discs and pads all round and some nice Renaultsport matts both purchased from Wests Renault and I got round to replacing the broken passenger side foglight. Only for the drivers one to crack a few months later, replace that one and the passenger one cracks again :mad:
I'm blaming the rural roads I use all the time. I'm also blaming the rural roads for my windscreen which is now peppered with little chips, my bonnet and front bumper both pretty stonechipped now and the headlights are now starting to cloud up on the top edges (all to be expected I know with a 117k mile car)

Here are a few more pics of a few clio up at Sliverstone for a mini meet.

6268726989_c7c1635da8.jpg

6273862565_894203a697.jpg

6273862361_9544ca350a.jpg

Fast forward nearly a year and I had fallen out of love with a Clio a little bit, I never considered selling it but it had lost some of its spark, The front end looked very sorry for itself with another broken foglight and half a front splitter thanks to a Pheasant :mad: I think the car went for about 7 months without a wash and this is what it looked like this winter

IMAG0380_zps9ab81813.jpg

IMAG0379_zps39ca3d50.jpg

IMAG0381_zpse3a5a3f3.jpg

I cant really explain what changed but I finally got round to renewing my cliosport membership, gave the car a good clean and yes the front end is stonechipped to hell but this didn't really bother me anymore just accepted that its an old car now which has don't lots of miles now, I'm not one for washing my car every weekend anyway but it does look nice once clean.

After browsing the fourms for a little while I settled on a RS2 manifold, which is being fitted this week :cool: along with having belts and dephaser changed, new Brembo hc discs up front with ds2500 pads and a replacement set of oem rear pads, James is also investigating my oil consumption which isn't massive but is higher than I would like so while he has the car and the belts are coming off anyway if it needs any new seals gaskets etc then they can be done at the time.
Other things are I've sourced a replacement resistor box as my aircon decided to blow the fans constantly, which admittedly is better than them not working at all but still annoying, also have a skoda splitter to go on the front to tidy the car up a bit.

plans for the future are to sort the suspension, and once I'm ready for new tyres I will be getting a set of grey speedline 2118's.
As far as the suspension goes I'm not sure what to do really, its going to be my daily car for about another year and even then it will be more of a weekend car as opposed to out and out track car, I do intend to track it but not loads so I'm unsure on weather to refresh the standard suspension and add a set of Cooksport springs or go down the Billstien coilover route or even the cheapest of the Ast kits, more reading and research is needed I think.

That's all for now hopefully get some nice pictures for you when I get the car back, I'll leave you with a few pics of my hire car for the week while James has my car, its a Chevrolet spark and it is a truly hatefull little thing, makes my clio seem like luxury

IMAG0526_zps45fe1d24.jpg

IMAG0528_zps93792a19.jpg

IMAG0529_zps3ecd12c1.jpg

IMAG0527_zpsfb8e2eff.jpg

Yeah I will have dropped a fair old wedge into it. I had to do something with it to spark my interest again, I had made the descision that undertaking this work means that the Clio will be staying as a toy for quite some years to come as quite frankly it would pain me to sell it for peanuts in a year or twos time. Its a pretty good starting point for a weekend/track car too.

E46 M3 & UR Quattro
Some nice plans! Those Spark's are truly hateful.. I had one in Marbella for 3 weeks and couldn't wait to come home lol

Some nice plans! Those Spark's are truly hateful.. I had one in Marbella for 3 weeks and couldn't wait to come home lol

It is the top of the range with alloys, rear parking sensors (why?) and air con :p hopefully I'm not going to have it for 3 weeks, fingers crossed I should be getting the clio back on Friday

Well Just spoke to James, just completed a compression test. Results being 175 over each cylinder. So not amazing but not bad for an engine on 117k miles. I was very nervous with regards these results and it does feel like a weight has been lifted somewhat. Its now all steam ahead for James and Mike to get the Rs2 manifold all fitted ready for mapping tomorrow.
I think Mike was unexpectedly off for couple days earlier in the week slowing progress but James has assured me that they will be working a late one today to ensure the car is ready for the rolling road tomorrow.
Many wouldn't have bothered and allowed deadlines to slip, Top guys!

Well after the compression check everything took a turn for the worse :(

Mike/James took the rocker cover off to reseal and ended up finding this :dead:

936144_629245003540_729287530_n_zps8505987f.jpg

At some point this engine has been run very low on oil that groove is 2mm deep! :sick: I bought the car on 83k on it and it now has 117k on the clocks. It has always used a bit of oil but never caused me any problems what so ever. It ran smoothly and seemed to pull pretty well never had it on rollers so I don't know what power it was making, the car is now on 117k miles

Panic stations need to source a new engine!

So on Sat 8th June I purchase what sounds like a decent engine out of a rear ended trophy. The engine doesn't get delivered to James/Mike until Tuesday 25th June after being told it would be a Thursday or Friday delivery. Not impressed and neither is James. It then gets worse on Wednesday 19th as I get a call from James to let me know that he has just compression checked the new engine and it is very low on 2 cylinders 105psi :sick: I was absolutely raging when I found out as you can imagine.

As I'm on the phone to James, Mike mentions a 172 they took in as PX that they were breaking, There is no service history with this engine so it is a bit of a punt but James compression checks it and its very good all cylinders up near 200psi, a visual inspection of the head also looks good and no signs of it being ran low on oil. I decide to give James the go ahead on the engine as there was nothing that looked like a better option. So this is wed 19th at about 16:00 the 172 engine is still in the donor car, I get a text at midnight tonight telling me the belts/dephaser are changed, the engine is in, the rs2 manifold fitted, new clutch fitted and the car runs! seriously good going. I honestly can't believe the work and hours that James and Mike have put in on this for me, mapping Friday afternoon hopefully pic the car up Friday eve or Sat morning. Can't wait!

Well I collected the car From James/Mike on Friday evening just in time for CSS shame the weather was terrible so the RS2 wasn't out on display much.
I am popping back down to staines on friday to have the map finished, just didn't have enough time, so driving it very gently this week. Still just so happy to have the 182 back after 3 weeks of Chevrolet spark driving.

here are a couple of poor quality pics, engine bay needs a wipe over I know :p

IMAG0657_zps3fdcbaef.jpg

IMAG0659_zps5d1fc8ab.jpg

1048303_631019697040_1667771971_o_zpsd19b073b.jpg

I have a new battery to go on as mine is very weak now, which should help to freshen up the bay a little bit, also need to get some degreaser and a couple of little brushes and give the engine bay a little bit of a freshen up.

I can tell already that the car wants to pull so much better with the rs2 fitted just a shame I can't use it yet lol I dont think it has been over 1/4 throttle yet. I cannot wait for it to be fully mapped so I can see what she can do now.

Work completed to date
Fit 172 engine with 182 rocker cover (elf 5 40 oil and renault coolant used)
Belts and dephaser changed
Clutch changed (gearbox oil replaced)
Rs2 manifold fitted
Brembo HC front discs and ferodo ds2500 pads
Climate control resistor pack replaced (was blowing fans full speed)
Skoda front splitter (I don't think it looks as good as the original but it looks fine considering it was £13 as opposed to £100+ for a standard one)
Yozza sport full decat exhaust system

Near future plans
New clean numberplates
steering wheel refurb (snappy)
Rear discs and pads (oem spec)
Antracite Speedline 2118's
Full standard suspension refresh (shocks, bushes, wishbones) with either sportlines or cooksport springs

Thanks for reading, I'll try to keep this updated and I'll try to get a few better photos once its nice weather and not blowing a gale outside :)

Well I fitted My front 3/4 plate from fancyplates today. It arrived very quickly I only ordered it Sunday afternoon.
quality seems spot on, just hope it doesn't attract any unwanted attention.
The rear plate will have to wait til tomorrow as one of the screws needs drilling out...typical
I'm really pleased and feel it freshens up the front end of the car loads.

IMAG0664_zpsd6d1c3af.jpg

I also set to work making the engine bay look a bit more presentable, no photos of this as I had dirty hands at the time.
I'm considering removing the bonnet sound deadening as it is starting to look a bit grubby and noise isn't my main concern.

I also received my Cooksport springs yesterday, these aren't going on until the suspension refresh happens which will probably be august as I have two weeks off work. I thought I had better get them while they were in stock to save having to wait for them in a few weeks time.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Looking spot on mate. Was good chatting at CSS and no doubt I'll see you at some meets.

Thanks, yes we should try to sort something out Northampton way soon.

Well I thought I had better update by project thread as I collected my car from S & MWM yesterday evening after it had spent all day being mapped at surrey rolling road, really pleased by the results the graph I have is from part way through the day as the very final bit got finished off on the road as ran out of time at SRR and got kicked out, James and Mike think it should be making low-mid 190's for bhp with a lovely smooth torque curve peaking at about 163/4 ft lb torque with it holding over 150 ft lb right the way up to 6500rpm.

To say I am pleased is an understatement I was even happy with my RR graph from earlier in the day, Mike mentioned about getting it on the rollers again soon to check the power output.
So far I absolutely love the RS2 setup, It makes the car SO much more driveable the car now pulls whatever speed/gear you are in/doing. :)

d2ec8b60-814f-4211-93fe-2c7f73538b3d_zps23ed7bba.jpg

Couple of other bits this morning
Fitted ally foot rest looks very nice imo. I also had a replacement front windsreen fitted this morning my national windscreens (through insurance) as my old one was stone chipped to hell and had finally developed a crack.

IMAG0670_zps169e46fe.jpg

IMAG0671_zps7c90726b.jpg

Well I took advantage of the Nice weather yesterday and washed properly for the first time ever. Washed, clay barred, polished and waxed. Overall I am pretty pleased with the results looks much better for a good wash but it really is in need of a front end respray. Hopefully Will be able to negotiate a good price with a local sprayers who do mainly F1 work as we send over £300k :eek: a year in work their way.

I was really impressed with the results after the car was clayed, I had never used a clay bar before so was a bit nervous but it was really easy and simple and the grime it collected was amazing.

Really looking forward to the suspension refresh now, hopefully that will be taking place in August.

Anyway here are a couple of quick pictures of my (Finally) clean RB,

Thanks

DSC_0632_zps2d2d9a3f.jpg

DSC_0630_zps4f6811ee.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Epic torque curve that, must go really well. Not good that its burning oil though.

Was discussing the RR results on your car with Mike when he had it for mapping and I think when we move the RS2 from our Black 172ph2 onto our RB I may go for standard cams on Mike's latest timing values rather than putting 197 cams in again, as the plan is to use it a little less on track in future, so the tiny bit of BHP it will cost us over 7K seems a worthwhile trade for the extra midrange torque.

Very nice example, and deffo the best colour, we hunted for ages to find one in that colour and are really glad we did so.

Hope you get it sorted mate :)

Cheers Chip, It will get sorted I'm already in too deep to consider selling it so I have no option but to get it running and get it mint

Looks like the suspension refresh is temporarily on hold, so the cooksports, and front and rear spacers will just have to sit in my living room a while longer.

This is a section of rear bumper after 6 days and aprox 200 miles

9273160101_21fc1f59fd.jpg

And this is just behind where I park my car (exhaust end)

9275937874_dc5aa4afee.jpg

Well things just went from bad to worse!!:mad:
Some of you may have read the thread last night, but incase you didn't. I was just driving to work yesterday evening when as I came round a roundabout in town the car turns in to a steam train, massive cloud of white smoke and the car ground itself to a halt. Popped the bonnet and it had drained the header tank, had a look round the bay no signs of leaks anywhere have a look under the car and a small amount of coolant is leaking from the manifold to decat join. Got a mate to tow me round the corner to his house and got it recovered to Staines today,and made my way home using public transport :dead: from Staines to Croughton via Reading, Oxford and Banbury.
So six weeks after fitting a replacement engine I might be needing another :cry:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The standard two piece valves are rubbish sadly. They join right at the hottest part.

​You going for a rebuilt engine or just going to fit a secondhand one?

We put supertech valves in ours to give it a fighting chance at the 7850 we rev it too and touch wood its been fine.

At this point I don't know hopefully Mike will be able to get a proper look at it on Friday, if it can be rebuilt then if funds will allow that is the route I would sooner take. As I've not had much luck with 2nd hand units the 1st one arrived only showing 100psi on 2 cylinders and now the 2nd unit has dropped a valve.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sadly with every year that passes it gets harder and harder to find a decent 2ndhand lump TBH mate, plus of course the cars are more and more likely to be in the hands of someone ringing their neck on a trackday rather than mum going shopping like in the past.

Sadly with every year that passes it gets harder and harder to find a decent 2ndhand lump TBH mate, plus of course the cars are more and more likely to be in the hands of someone ringing their neck on a trackday rather than mum going shopping like in the past.

Hopefully sourced what sounds like a decent lump. A 172 lump from Gaz which was originally cupman29's.
Just got to arrange getting it from Glasgow to Staines.
James and mike have been fantastic about the whole situation and really are bending over backwards to help where they can, where as they could have just washed their hands of me.

Fingers crossed all being well I should be collecting my car on Friday, I can't wait! :)
I haven't seen it since the 30th July :(

Anyway here is a quick pic of what beauty I'm driving around in at the moment. Its better than the Chevrolet Spark but what is with the ridiculously huge dash board on them??
Also suffers from the same problem as the New clio in that it is still badged as a supermini But yet is isn't that small.

999843_637817623940_104746552_n_zpsfc184381.jpg

I finally have my car back From James Stone and Mike Woodford in Staines. All running very well. :)
I don't have a dyno readout at the moment need to get a power run done but the engine seems very strong and was very clean internally. The map From my previous engine and RS2 manifiold (which made good power and fantastic torque) wasn't up to the job of the new engine as it was running quite lean, hence Mike having to tweak the fueling.
Really keen to get a power run done as it sould be making a bit more in the mid range than before.
I will get some pictures of my shagged engine when James emails them over to me, apparently is is a proper mess.

Its been a CS effort to get my car back on the road with an engine from Gaz which was originally Cupman29's. With the work carried out by J&MWM
So pleased to have it back.
:race:

That's great news mate. You should come to the next Bedford meet.

They are always midweek and I work permanent nights during the weeks, organise a weekend one and I'll be there

Cool stuff mate. Glad its all sorted.
Cheers Chip
What a roller coaster read! Glad to hear its got sorted. Put £20 in it and go for a good blast and all these mishaps will be long in the past :) :race:

Thanks, I've been out a couple of times in her, need to get the rear shocks changed! They were on the list to get done with suspension refresh but they are now getting changed asap as I believe being recovered 65+ miles on the back of an AA van has killed them.

​I'm still waiting for the pictures so I will get them uploaded as soon as I have them.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Glad you've got it sorted mate. As said , give it a quick clean, put some petrol in it and take it for a good run out

Well new rear shocks should be arriving tomorrow so hopefully get them fitted asap.

As promised though photos of the damage, you can see the mess it made of the RS2 manifold so that required totally stripping down too.

IMG_2641_zpsba5f29d0.jpg

IMG_2640_zps9793ba90.jpg

IMG_2636_zps6bfec2e5.jpg

IMG_2635_zpsc16bf3f7.jpg

I
'm now off for a nice leisurely 25 mile drive to work.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
just read this, nice to see a well looked after RB :)

and glad you stuck with it through all the crap!

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
Glad my Cup engine is putting a smile on your face, dude!

As said, fill her up and go for a spirited drive, you'll forget all the stuff that's happened.

Was up at Surrey Rolling Road today with a few cliosport members and clio16v members.
I'm pretty pleased with the results, Charlie informed me that its running a bit rich and in his opinion should be closer to the 195bhp mark.
Mike at MWM has had a look at the graphs and it is a suspect inlet temp sensor playing up. Going to get him to have a look when the car goes down for its suspension refresh and get it back on the rollers.

Charlie and the other chap (unsure of his name) provided a friendly professional service and despite not having the required number of cars for £30 runs still did them for £30 as "the clio boys" have been good to him in the past.

IMAG0695_zpsb48eb96a.jpg

IMAG0694_zpsf608ee02.jpg

One small mod to the engine bay, totally reversable but I was bored at work the other night so went over to the paint dept on the look out for a Red bull racing sticker (my employer and our works cars are also Renault Sport powered:p) I quite like it atm time will tell if I still like it in a few weeks......
Don't panic the oil catch tank bracket it being tidied up before Trax was just a quick fix at the time :p

IMAG0696_zpsb14f59fb.jpg

Good to see this car running today. Thanks for doing a lap round the roundabout for me, I'm convinced. ;)

Was good to see it on the rolling road, First time I'd seen it on one so a slightly nervous experience but good fun. Glad your convinced the RS2 is a great mod for a road car imo.
just read this, nice to see a well looked after RB :)

and glad you stuck with it through all the crap!

Thanks, I try :) Now its sorted I'm glad I stuck with it as it does put a smile on my face.

Glad my Cup engine is putting a smile on your face, dude!

As said, fill her up and go for a spirited drive, you'll forget all the stuff that's happened.

Rear shocks are all changed now so for the first time since the engine change I've been able to give it a proper spirited drive. :race: So much fun and all the problems and £££ that its cost me the past few months are forgiven

Z4 Coupe
Blimey, that was a whirlwind of a read. Glad it's finally running well for you. Fair play for sticking with it when many others wouldn't.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice torque spread that, I think I am going to go for retimed 172 cams rather than 197 like he had before when the mrs has fitted the RS2 on our RB.

Will have to ask Mike nicely if he is up for timing them in for me to his latest specs.

1.5DCi MK3
What's the correct name for this colour? I know it's light blue but I can't seem to find a MK3 one in this colour anywhere and its frustrating haha!