ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Realistically, how many miles before my Clio dies?

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Afternoon CS,

I appreciate it's a bit of an ambiguous question but anyway, I'll ask it.

Currently my 53 plate 1.2 16v Mk2 Ph2 is on 50k miles. I bought it November just gone with 38.8k on the clock, so I do a fair few miles (I work for Domino's). It's running well barring a misfire which has had everything thrown at it barring injectors which are £££ 😞 and a broken rear coil which is being replaced next week. It really does want for nothing mechanically, aside from horribly scratched glass and a complete respray:smile: which is not happening! I even do oil changes at 10k not 18k as specced by the manual if you do a lot of stop start driving.

Obviously I'd like to plan ahead being that I don't earn much, so I want to start saving towards its replacement for when it does go bang. How long does CS reckon it's got, allowing for around 1.5k-2k miles a month, every month until it goes bang? I reckon by the time New year comes (which will be a full 365 days since I started) it'll be on 65k or so, then the year after that getting on for 90k.

tldr: how many miles before big bang?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Bear with me...
crystal-ball.jpg

It'll do 100k + no problem as long as you keep on top of the servicing

182 T
There's a few on here getting on for well past 100k. Do you have to use it for deliveries? How much do they give you for mileage?

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Bear with me...
View attachment 131193

It'll do 100k + no problem as long as you keep on top of the servicing

Haha! I know it's one of those "how long is a piece of string" type things. 100k+ sounds good though. I service it as and when it needs it, barring the injectors which do need doing. £250 for a set of 4 though.... eeesh.

There's a few on here getting on for well past 100k. Do you have to use it for deliveries? How much do they give you for mileage?

I do indeed. You need to be an owner-driver or use a scoot that they provide (which I'm happy to do, I can ride a motorbike) but ours don't do them. The only other option is to buy a second car, drive this one into the ground and use the other one for all my other driving, but realistically it wouldn't be worth it for the driving I do not at work, it's just not enough. Insurance is bad enough on this as it is, and it's without them knowing what I use the car for! (No, that's not fraud, yes, I'm insured at work under their business insurance, I'm covered for commuting and as soon as I clock on at work I'm covered 3rd party by work etc etc. Anyway, technically I'm not a delivery driver, I'm a "team member" :wink:).

We get a quid per delivery for fuel + maintenance which admittedly doesn't sound huge but I worked out at current fuel prices as long as it's less than about 9 miles round trip, I make money. 15 deliveries a night 4 nights a week, it soon adds up into a decent figure. Then there's tips as well, which are a bit hit and miss. We try to group deliveries as well as then we get more money but for a lot less mileage etc. I earn about 300 quid a month in fuel but probably put in £150 worth a month so it evens out. I'm currently averaging around 50 to the gallon, and that's on the premium stuff. I tried the standard shell stuff and I couldn't get over 45 or so, so maybe there is truth in the marketing.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Wife's 1.2 16v made it to over 130k and the powertrain was still going strong.

You want to get those injectors sorted though, misfiring won't do the engine any good at all long term. Does it really need all four? More likely it just needs one or two and a known good used one would suffice.

2014 Clio 200t edc
My 1.2 16v was pretty much ragged around constantly and back then I didn't service it properly. I think the most I did was top the oil up, never changed it and I had it 3 years and did about 25k miles but it never missed a beat.
The 1.2 16v engine is quite a resilient engine so I'm led to believe. Service it and it will go on.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
Wife's 1.2 16v made it to over 130k and the powertrain was still going strong.

You want to get those injectors sorted though, misfiring won't do the engine any good at all long term. Does it really need all four? More likely it just needs one or two and a known good used one would suffice.

Aye, I know. I'm looking for a 2nd hand set - I don't know which injector it is unfortunately and I'm not too keen on paying for a diagnostic read. My uncle who does all the servicing on it has a code reader which diagnosed it as a misfire but that's it. Coil pack & leads were done which improved it somewhat as did a dose of redex but I just don't know which one it is.

My 1.2 16v was pretty much ragged around constantly and back then I didn't service it properly. I think the most I did was top the oil up, never changed it and I had it 3 years and did about 25k miles but it never missed a beat.
The 1.2 16v engine is quite a resilient engine so I'm led to believe. Service it and it will go on.

That's good to hear. I drive like a proper old man (dat mpg) so it should last and last judging by your experience. It was low miles when I bought it but it was owned from new by some old biddy who never serviced it or at least never bothered to stamp the service book. Not a stamp to be seen :anguished: The MOT failure history was interesting as well - failed on a badly fitted tyre so god knows how long she was driving around on that!

dan's cast offs.
at 50mpg chances are injectors are ok? especially with it not being high mileage. they suffer with blocked breather pipework and shitted up throttle bodies though so worth looking there first.

SQ5
I'm sure that's illegal £1 per delivery

Edit- First 10k miles are minimum 45p per mile so if any deliveries are 2 miles you're being underpaid.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
at 50mpg chances are injectors are ok? especially with it not being high mileage. they suffer with blocked breather pipework and shitted up throttle bodies though so worth looking there first.

I dunno, it's very lumpy at idle. Not sure what else it could be but I will have a nosey there as well.

I'm sorry... Back up here.

You get paid £1 per delivery?? Wtf?

That's gotta be on top of a flat basic too surely. Think it's just a quid per delivery for fuel, not wages

I should have been more clear but in my defence the original question what I was paid per delivery :wink: It's minimum wage + £1 per delivery + tips. On a good night (a tenner worth of tips say) my hourly rate is somewhere around £12 an hour but then out of that comes fuel etc. It ends up being more than 6.50 though.

Basically, if I go to work and get no deliveries (which is impossible) then I get paid £6.50 per hour. I can do say 3-4 deliveries an hour so then that's around £10 an hour, plus tips. It's not bad money, it's just not definite you'll get tipped that's all. Plus being on that little money means you pay no NIC/NI as well.

I'm sure that's illegal £1 per delivery

It is, we get a hourly rate as well.

SQ5
If using your own vehicle you should be getting wage + 45p per mile.

Do you keep a record of mileage?

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
If using your own vehicle you should be getting wage + 45p per mile.

Do you keep a record of mileage?

Yeah, we've had that toss up as well but it's in our contract. It's either we sign it and work or we're out of a job really. Still, if you get more than 35mpg or so you earn on fuel. It's not as bad as it sounds as long as you aren't redlining it everywhere. I could probably use a 172 and just about break even :smile: Not particularly but I use my sat nav at work and that logs all journeys into a .csv file - distance, average speed, estimated cost of fuel etc.

Edit: https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-business-travel-mileage/rules-for-tax how interesting... that's exactly what we do! Jammy sods. Must be some corporate dodge or something because it's not reported on our wage slips either, so it's not taxed. I'm not one to rock the boat or anything as I need the job, but a massive company like Domino's must have some clever legal eggheads to get around it.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
I'd rather stack shelves

No boss annoying and getting on at you all day, get to listen to your own music, can text and use the phone at your own convenience (not while driving mind) and you get to drive a lot. I like it and as a student it's decent enough money while being flexible around my studies. Yeah it's hardly rocket surgery or anything but it pays the bills.

SQ5
If it's in your contract it doesn't make it legal! My missus works in HR and says its so blatantly illegal she can't believe it's not been picked up on before!

172 Turbo
If it's in your contract it doesn't make it legal! My missus works in HR and says its so blatantly illegal she can't believe it's not been picked up on before!

It's not illegal, they are making a payment towards the mileage, it doesn't have to be the "approved amount" as shown on HMRC.
If, the OP put in a tax return then he could claim tax relief by multiplying his mileage by the approved amount then deducting the amount paid by Domino's anything left over can be applied to his tax paid for the year.
However, if the answer is Domino's have paid him more than the approved rate, he'd then pay tax on the excess.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
^^ +1
Petrol money or road expenses are agreed between the employer and employee/contractor.

In reference to the OPs question, the car lasts as long as you take care of it. There's not an engine in the world that will blow up (with normal use) unless it's been deprived of oil, coolant or cold air. The mileage thing is for tyre kickers who think they can take £100 off the asking price. 10 of the cars I've owned were above 150k and still running strong.

PH2 172
It's not illegal, they are making a payment towards the mileage, it doesn't have to be the "approved amount" as shown on HMRC.
If, the OP put in a tax return then he could claim tax relief by multiplying his mileage by the approved amount then deducting the amount paid by Domino's anything left over can be applied to his tax paid for the year.
However, if the answer is Domino's have paid him more than the approved rate, he'd then pay tax on the excess.
He never said he worked for Domino`s,and what`s your name,what`s your game,& what`s your number?

Could never use own car for business. Used to be a community district nurse (nhs). f***s your car up. You never get back what you put in and no payment during travelling hrs. U mad?

Ps; you absolutely sure you're covered for business mileage? @sabian92

I did a spout of special constable duties for local force. The amount of people that genuinely believed they were insured when they were NOT was/is astronomical

'20 Zoe, '09 V70
He never said he worked for Domino`s,and what`s your name,what`s your game,& what`s your number?

First post. Also I'd get your keyboard checked, seems to have had some sort of stroke. :tongueout:

Could never use own car for business. Used to be a community district nurse (nhs). f***s your car up. You never get back what you put in and no payment during travelling hrs. U mad?

I did a spout of special constable duties for local force. The amount of people that genuinely believed they were insured when they were NOT was/is astronomical
Yeah, Domino's being a massive company have no issues insurance wise. Police never pull us for spot checks because they know we're insured.

IIRC you have to tell your insurer that you use the vehicle for business even if the business insure it themselves.

Exactly this. In my experience anyway.

Technically I'm not a driver, I'm a "team member" :wink: Joking aside, I do work in store as well, not just solely driving. If I tell them I'm a driver it quadruples my insurance and considering I'm paying £850 a year as it is (and that's with a year no claims, licensed since I was 17), I'm understandably somewhat reluctant to tell them unless I legally have to. I'm insured for social/domestic/commuting then Domino's cover me at work until I clock off then I'm back on my own insurance policy again.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at never use your own car for work as you never fet back what u paid in, my car cost me £1000 and my company has gave me £2500 in expenses for using it!

In reply to the original question, we have been using these engines for driving school cars since 2001, usually change the cars at 140k they still drive fine.

Why are you changing parts such as injectors, it appears you are changing parts for the sake of it? In the last 15yrs the above driving school cars have never required one single part to be replaced other than serviced, brakes and tyres!

Lol at never use your own car for work as you never fet back what u paid in, my car cost me £1000 and my company has gave me £2500 in expenses for using it!

In reply to the original question, we have been using these engines for driving school cars since 2001, usually change the cars at 140k they still drive fine.

Why are you changing parts such as injectors, it appears you are changing parts for the sake of it? In the last 15yrs the above driving school cars have never required one single part to be replaced other than serviced, brakes and tyres!

nhs for you.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Out of interest what percentage of people tip? I used to when it was cash on delivery but now I always order online the wallet doesn't even come open lol.

172 Turbo
Out of interest what percentage of people tip? I used to when it was cash on delivery but now I always order online the wallet doesn't even come open lol.

Same. I was in a bar, not a pub, last week, paid by card and the terminal asked if I wanted to leave a tip! For taking the caps off two bottles of beer? At nearly £10 already, I clicked no and hoped the barman would serve me again!

Starlet_gt

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T5.1

I'm a cpn and get paid for my mileage. I run a focus st and can't say I do too badly out of it lol.

'20 Zoe, '09 V70

Maybe 30-40% of people. I can go a week without any tips or get a tenner a night, it depends really. I will say though, people in 4 bed detached houses with a double garage and an M5 on the drive never tip even on cash on delivery. They will wait for the penny change. Houses that would be looked down upon by crackheads tip really well, I'm talking 2-3 quid. Last week one night I went home with nearly £15 - an average of £1 per delivery or so. A fiver of that came from one delivery, but still.

Thing is, if you live a decent trip away from the place the food comes from, that's why you're getting it delivered. You usually can't be arsed to collect it, so you get it brought to you. Yeah, we get recompensed per trip but if it's further than about 4 1/2 miles each way I lose money, so chuck a 50p or a quid the driver's way. You'd probably use a quid if not more if you drive a Range Rover or an M5 in fuel to collect it, it's always hotter when we drop it off because we have hot bags, and we don't lose money. Everybody wins.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I deliver too, just eat is killing off the tip. It's rare i will get a tip if it was paid for by card. If its cash at the door many will say keep the change. As Sabian said, many will sit there counting out the exact change, but it's fair enough i guess.