ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

really confused after checking with insurance

1.2 16v clio
to insure my clio thats a 1.2 with a few mods like 172 seats tinted rear windows and a sound system i got quoted 2700 and considering i have been driving for 2 years and im 24 i think thats really bad the funny thing is i checked on getting insured on a 200sx s13 1.8 turbo the insurance company said it will cost 1800 to insure it how do they get that?

also i checked on getting a 172 clio and the insurance said £4400

1.2 16v clio
what the hell, have you no, no claims bonus? or a bad driving record as thats crazy prices.

forgot to say i have been a named driver for 2 years as its impossible for me to be insured on my own car i have 0 claims and i have no points so yea im fully clean

1.2 16v clio
im not really looking for insurance right now as im already insured but im trying to figure out why its cheaper for me to get insured on a bigger engined rear wheel drive car then a front wheel drive car :S

BMW M135i
Its not that you can't get insurance its that its a rediculous price no? Otherwise you've done something very naughty to be refused outright.

IMO, the longer you play the fronting game (which is illegal btw) the more you will pay in the long run. NCB is golddust initially, you've got to take the hit for the first year, not be a knobhead (difficult we've all been there) and it reaps no end of benefits.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i went on my own name from 17 on my 1.2 16v then same policy on my 172 @ 17 and it was ridiculous at well over £2500 a year 3rd party, but then at 18 with 1yrs ncb i was insuring my 172 for £1500 fully comp then £900 fully comp at 19 and now at 23 im insuring the 200 for just over £300!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
First off - why would you tint your windows to make your car look like a van.

Second - why would you declare these tints on insurance ? If you put an LED bulb in the interior light, would you tell them ?!

Thirdly - A high percentage of Clios are all driven by yoofs because the general consensus is that they are cheap to run .. yoofs crash .. claims for Clios are high .. insurance risk is high if you are a yoof.

It's basically very very simple.

Clio 1.2 Mk2 Ph1
I just got my first year of NCB and my insurance dropped from 850 to 550, im 23 btw. I think age is the biggest factor. Ive also had insurance on an Impreza and other big-ish engined cars. The scoob only cost me 1600 with no NCB! :D

1.2 16v clio
First off - why would you tint your windows to make your car look like a van.

Second - why would you declare these tints on insurance ? If you put an LED bulb in the interior light, would you tell them ?!

Thirdly - A high percentage of Clios are all driven by yoofs because the general consensus is that they are cheap to run .. yoofs crash .. claims for Clios are high .. insurance risk is high if you are a yoof.

It's basically very very simple.

well i can answer the tints very easily if you have a very expensive audio system in your car at window level would you have it on show? my windows are tinted for that reason also to stop being blinded by idiots with hid's in 4x4's

Last edited:
  1.2 16v clio
im only 18 and my insurance is £1400 fully comp, own policy.
Have you been shopping around? took me a while to find a quote less then 2K

yea i have been shopping around and i think the main issue is my location as my first car was a 1.6 and i only paid 1700 insurance and the next year come and they wanted 3500 and the funny thing is i have done nothing to cause that to sky rocket

KUB

Dynamique
well i can answer the tints very easily if you have a very expensive audio system in your car at window level would you have it on show? my windows are tinted for that reason also to stop being blinded by idiots with hid's in 4x4's

Completely agree with you there with being blinded by those conversion kits! :dapprove: I decided to get my rear windows tinted 70% by a garage as it filters UV and helps keep car cooler. But not being dazzled is a big plus imo

Clio 1.4 16V
i had a problem insuring my 1.4 clio, was told as named driver it was 70 a month, turn around and say as im 18 its to high of a risk so would have to get my own insurance which is now 155 a month, double what id expected to pay, even though ive been driving over a year and have never crashed or anything, I know this isnt bad compared to some insurance quotes still annoying!

i had a problem insuring my 1.4 clio, was told as named driver it was 70 a month, turn around and say as im 18 its to high of a risk so would have to get my own insurance which is now 155 a month, double what id expected to pay, even though ive been driving over a year and have never crashed or anything, I know this isnt bad compared to some insurance quotes still annoying!

You just posted pictures handbrake turning in a public car park in the snow, and you wonder why your premiums are high???? :banghead: