ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Brake Pads

RS Clio 172 mk2
Hi All, Anyone know how the rear pads are changed. done the front ones with the guide from here but can't see how that works with the rear. Or are they released with just the metal holders?!? Thanks

Pm me your emaill address and I'll send you the file otherwise do a search the guide has either been written on here or posted ona site linked to from here.

RS Clio 172 mk2
found out how to do it lucas. the bottom bit where the pad is with the little metal round thing next to it slides out to the right

RS Clio 172 mk2
now i'm stuck trying to line the caliper back up with the holes, its only just out. hmmmm. i know it slides back and forward but not enough

RenaultSport EDC 200
I read how easy to change the pads it is so just put my car on axel stands...took wheel off...now i'm stuck :) My search for rear pads doesn't help much as i seem to keep getting disc guides.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I don't know what guide you guys are using , but you don't need to remove any part of the caliper to change the rear pads .

All you need to do is remove the spring clip , tap out the pad retaining plate outwards ( small angled piece of metal ) then pull the old pads out using some pliers . Don't loose the anti rattle springs as you use them again . Then wind the piston clockwise back into the caliper back so the groove is horizontal and the lug on the back of the new pads lines up with it .Make sure the brake fluid reservoir is unscrewed and put sone cloths round the hole just in case the fluid overflows , it shouldn't do but better safe than sorry .

RETAININGCLIP.jpg

REARBRAKECALIPER2.jpg

REARBRAKEPADLUGUSE2.jpg

REARBRAKECALIPER.jpg

RenaultSport EDC 200
That helps thanks! Sorry though, the bar won't move, i mean how can i knock it out away from the car when it seems something is holding it in? I know rust is prolly making it stiff, but hmm it's hard to explain...even if i did it that bar, the is something on the left stopping me from slidding it out?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It'll be a combination of brake dust, dirt , maybe a little bit of rust . Get a flat bladed screwdriver or a punch and tap it out with a hammer . There's nothing else to stop it sliding outwards away from the car . Once its out clean the retaining bar with some sandpaper also clean the surface on the pad mounting bracket or else you'll find it hard to tap back in .

Obsessive

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've found it best backing off the bleed nipple and attaching an Eezibleed pipe to it to vent the fluid when winding the piston back.
This ensures that no master cylinder problems are caused.
The reverse fluid pressure can knacker the master cylinder seals.
Then all you do is top up what you've lost at the reservoir.

RS Clio 172 mk2
mines all done. gonna give it a test drive now. anyone know how to adjust the handbrake as mine seems a bit loose now?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^^ Give me a minute mate . I have a spare set of calipers in my shed , i'll go and have a quick look .

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Lucas172 said:
SP_A0061.jpg

Surely that is stopping me sliding the bar out? I'm about to give up :)

Do you have that on both sides of the car ? Mine doesn't on the 182 and didn't on the 172 . Can you tap the retaining clip inwards then to give you enough clearance to remove the pads ?

RenaultSport EDC 200
Hm mk... on the other side of the bar is the bolt. So i think i'll just take it to my mechanice friend an he can do it :) The talk of oil going places has scared me anyways.

Your help was amazing mate, thankyou so much!

I was only guna do it cause i'm changing some alloys over.

Thanks again!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
No problem mate . Sorry i couldn't help anymore , but i can see the problem , they don't usually have that on the pad mounting bracket stopping the retaining clip from sliding out .