ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Shocks Questions - Any Traders?

RB 182
I've got a knackered rear passenger side shock absorber, so naturally i'm looking to replace the pair.

first though, a few questions -

1. I keep seeing 'Renault Clio 182 CUP shocks'.. but does it matter that they're the cup shocks, or is that a plus for me gaining cup shocks (my car isn't a cup).

2. Are there any traders on CS that sell shocks? i've seen them on eBay for £85 etc but i always prefer to keep the Traders alive!

3. I've seen a similar thread recently where people mention aftermarket parts.. would anyone recommend any aftermarket parts? as i'm not tracking the car, so surely the OEM parts would be fine?

and finally - 4. How long will it take a mechanic to change the shocks and a CV boot, as i don't like the idea of being ripped off on labour (it's expensive enough as it is!)

Any advice and help would be massively appreciated.

Siddle

RB 182
Its ok I have a translator app on my iPhone that converts him to speak english.

HAHA, PMSL at this.

thanks for the replies guys. I'll give Adam a ring at some point this week.

Any ideas on the CV boot as well? I'm guessing Adam will sell them, but are they a big job? apparently mine has a pin size hole in.. :dapprove:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Easiest way to do the outer cv is just use a universal one that you can slide over without even take the shaft apart, you just cut the old one off and fit it with a cone that its stretchy enough to go over.

RB 182
Easiest way to do the outer cv is just use a universal one that you can slide over without even take the shaft apart, you just cut the old one off and fit it with a cone that its stretchy enough to go over.

So how much would i be looking at for one of these stretchy ones? i'm guessing they're obtainable through eBay.

I think i remember the garage mentioning it'd be about £50 for them to do it.. i'm not sure if they thought i'd be bringing the part or not though!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Stretchy one is about a tenner with a cone, takes about half an hour start to finish with basic cools but personally I feel the car should be geo'd again after if its a trackday car which bumps the price right up.

Ive not personally used this one, but you specifically asked for ebay so here is an example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a276ce181

Secondhand shaft is another good simple option of course.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Personally id charge £40 for changing rear shocks and cv boot

RB 182
That's what i thought Budgie but he mentioned it needs sorting?

Damn my car-naivety.

I'm not tracking the car ever, it's simply a day to day use car, which i love more than my missus. ha.

I'm trying to get everything sorted which came up on the MOT advisories -

CV Boot,
Rear Shock(s),
Brake Pipes & Lines,
My brake lights flash when the indicator is on.. faulty earth. annoyingggg.

I'd be tempted to get all the parts then travel somewhere for the work to be done, but due to work, i can't!

So in the mean time, i've gotta trust local garages. Damn it.

RB 182
Boys, i'm getting quotes for fitting the Shocks and unsticking the rear passenger brake pad, and i'm getting back that it'd be 2 and a half hours just for the shocks, then an hour for the pad!

I'm being conned right?

i can't afford thatttt

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
2 and a half hour for shocks?! Im
Sorry but f**king lol! 2 bolts and 2 nuts its a 10-20 minute job tops and mayb an hour on the rear breaks for a full strip down and clean up

2 hours labour max

RB 182
Why can't there be any cliosport members who run/work in garages in or around Scarborough!?

i'll be paying £135 for shocks fitted, rear brake unsticking and cv boot fitting. More than the parts cost!!

Lionel Richie
Boys, i'm getting quotes for fitting the Shocks and unsticking the rear passenger brake pad, and i'm getting back that it'd be 2 and a half hours just for the shocks, then an hour for the pad!

I'm being conned right?

i can't afford thatttt

we don't even charge for fitting rear shocks, its pointless, 5min job tops! to strip a rear caliper is 30min tops, so even at 1 hour that's about right (assuming nothing's f**ked)

WRX

I'm being conned right?

i can't afford thatttt
Kwikfit?

Clio 197
If you can, I would be tempted to invest in a trolley jack and axle stands & socket set....those jobs are all within the reach of the home mechanic (use CS resources and guides) and best of all free, just a couple of hours of your time. :)

Shocks are idiot proof (I've managed it so anyone can). Cv boot, I glued mine after rob took the driveshaft off only to realise the replacement was 172 not 182 fitment. Stole some smelly silicon from Dave at "the unit" to do it with.

RB 182
i was rescued by Gary-vvti boys. he came down from sunderland and fitted my shocks, sorted my brake and glued my cv boot this weekend.

took him all of 1 hour, and we were fannying around and chatting etc.

just goes to show, CS is a life saver!