ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Strut Braces

The issue with harnesses and no cage is that in a rollover, where a 3 point ordinary seatbelt will allow your body to be forced over and towards the centre of the car (the shoulder with no seatbelt over it), harnesses with no cage means you'll be held nicely in your seat while your neck is broken.
That said, I think Clio's are pretty strong in rollovers aren't they? That's the thinking behind it.

Standard seatbelt + no cage = fine
Standard seatbelt + cage = death
Correctly mounted harness + cage = fine
Correctly mounted harness + no cage = death
Incorrectly mounted harness + anything = death
Correctly mounted harness, cage & Covid 19 = death

What about correctly mounted harness + neck brace + no cage ?

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
The best thing is when you go to club race meetings and it’s full of people with incorrectly mounted harnesses that have been passed by scrutineering.

Clio 197
Colesy, seen lots of that at races myself, but unforutnately that doesnt make the harnesses any safer. The mounting guidelines were posted earlier, deffo worth considering... Same with mounting points

Some info from the 'blue book'

1.1.13. Harness Bar. A transverse tubular member attached
across either the main hoop or backstays to accept harness
mountings.
1.3.9. Harness Bars. Minimum dimensions 38mm x 2.5mm or
40mm x 2.0mm. Cold Drawn Seamless Carbon Steel with
minimum tensile strength of 350N/mm2. Harness straps may
be attached by looping around the tube or by threaded fixings
using inserts as drawing No. 44 welded into the tubes(s).
1588785080707.png

1588785170765.png

hope this helps...

Last edited:

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Colesy, seen lots of that at races myself, but unforutnately that doesnt make the harnesses any safer. The mounting guidelines were posted earlier, deffo worth considering... Same with mounting points

Some info from the 'blue book'

1.1.13. Harness Bar. A transverse tubular member attached
across either the main hoop or backstays to accept harness
mountings.
1.3.9. Harness Bars. Minimum dimensions 38mm x 2.5mm or
40mm x 2.0mm. Cold Drawn Seamless Carbon Steel with
minimum tensile strength of 350N/mm2. Harness straps may
be attached by looping around the tube or by threaded fixings
using inserts as drawing No. 44 welded into the tubes(s).
View attachment 1472153
View attachment 1472154
hope this helps...

That’s what I’m saying we all know they aren’t safe but the governing body deems them to be safe. For me it’s cage mounted harness bar for harnesses or don’t have them.
Equally I won’t drive a stripped out car without a cage just not worth it.

Clio 197
That’s what I’m saying we all know they aren’t safe but the governing body deems them to be safe. For me it’s cage mounted harness bar for harnesses or don’t have them.
Equally I won’t drive a stripped out car without a cage just not worth it.
To clarify I think the rules only imply that harness bars are part of a cage , they don't outright state that. Annoying when things like this are open to interpretation.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
There are two options:

Standard Seat, Standard 3 Point Seatbelt and OEM Airbags (Wear whatever you feel comfortable in no flip flops thou)

Full FIA/MSUK Spec Cage, Full wrap around seat (e.g. Cobra Sebring or similar) 6 point harness mounted correctly to floor and cage, in date Snell rated helmet, FIA approved nomex suit, gloves, boots, socks, underwear and balaclava and of course a HANS's device (other model are available)

Rich

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Why would you mount safety harnesses dangerously when you can just get an extra bar welded in to the cage??

Probably for the same reason the main hoop appears to have been cut and welded in 4 different places.

Thought I’d share this pic given the debate over R26.R harnesses. Sorry for photo orientation but there doesn't seem to be a simple way to change it.

2974E969-4465-4E17-98EB-0B1498023FC8.jpeg

Last edited: