ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear Suspension Advice/Opinions

As i've mentioned on here previously i recently changed the back shocks and springs on my newly acquired Ph1 172.

Now, This has fixed the problem that I originally had (the back end feeling very unstable, even in a straight line). What we found was the drivers side shock had almost completley colapsed and could be compressed very easily and wouldnt rebound at all.

The thing that is getting me now (and someone tell me im imagining things pls!) is the car still fells slightly less sharp at the back when turning left. When turning right at high speed the car feels sharp as a tack at the front then the back just follows it round. But when i turn left at high speed again the front feels great but the back just seems ever so slightly less responsive, like there is still a slackness somewhere.

My question is .... Is it worth doing the bushes on the back?? will the shock that had colapsed had an advers affect on the bush on that side???

Cheers!!!

Lots of Alfas
The bushes rarely go, jack the back up and see if theres any play with a crow bar. Have you checked tyres & pressures?? If the back has had a big knock the rear trailing arms can become twisted.

260% JCW
I had a similar prob, replaced all the shocks and springs and did all the bushes. Had both strut braces and still there. In the end i bought the Whiteline anti roll bar. Made a big difference, makes it verey sharp. Have'nt had any probs with oversteer.

Bus w**ker
Replacing the wishbone bushes, top mounts, springs (all round) and getting the wheels aligned sorted this problem with mine.

I had a similar prob, replaced all the shocks and springs and did all the bushes. Had both strut braces and still there. In the end i bought the Whiteline anti roll bar. Made a big difference, makes it verey sharp. Have'nt had any probs with oversteer.

Thats because you drive like a gayer though Kev. ;)

I fitted used springs but they came from Cit-ren with a guarantee so I assumed they were ok. the shocks were brand new.

Im starting to wonder now though. The strange thing is the back left feels fine, The back right feels soft. I can feel it even when changing lanes on the motorway. Its like the suspension on the back right depresses more easily than the other side. The car sits level and if I push it down when staionary both sides feel pretty even.

Really doing my head in now!!!

Will prob just get the bushes changed next and also swap the springs over and see if it makes any difference. Its either that or buy brand new springs!!!

Last edited: