ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommendations for a good head unit (iPod and USB compatible)

My Mum's pestering me already for xmas ideas....and I haven't got a clue. Although I wouldn't mind upgrading my current head unit which is only a simple CD player, not even an MP3 one!

I'm after something good, no cheap s**t please. £200 max really.

iPod compatibility is a must, USB is a bonus but not essential. (I assume an iPhone will still connect too?)

Seen loads on Halfords, but they all look the same. I have always likes Alpine stuff, but just wondered what people recommend. Is a head unit just a head unit?! Is there really much difference between them?

Cheers!

No need to spend anywhere near £200 if thats all you want
Want bluetooth? Want stalks?iPod is iPhone compatible nowadays

I doubt I'll get stalk compatibility with my car lol (if you mean what I think you mean)

Are they bluetooth controlled? or physical cable connection?

What will the £200 ones do compared to the cheaper ones? Just curious really.

My bad didnt read :clown: Can add stalks though if you wanna get a bit DIY. When I say about bluetooth I mean for handsfree,
Ipod you can get either just aux-in or proper ipod connection which will allow charging and model dependant control artist, playlist, track, composer, genre, etc

They give options for stalk and display, multiple colours, higher pre-out voltages along with more pre-outs, handsfree, list is endless tbh
But if you just want good quality audio with ipod connectivity:

http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/products/product-singleview/cd-head-units/cde-111r.html (requires KCE 433iV)

Yep, that's all I want. I've already got a cable to charge the iPod, will only need an aux cable. Not bothered about controlling it via the HU itself, as I have to stretch a bit to reach it anyway in my car! Although it would be good to see the track info on the HU.

Just nice audio quality and iPod connection is all I need.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0039BWIYI/?tag=cliospnet01-21

That's what I've got. Works fantastic with an iPod/iPhone and it sits inside the unit where a CD usually would. Sound quality's good and you can control the iPod from the unit.
Only downside is there isn't a CD player, but as with most people nowadays everything would be on your iPod.

I think there's an upgrade of that unit that had bluetooth etc. not entirely sure.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
im pretty fussy about these things and i got a kenwood headunit for £100, they sell it in halfords and the prices is always £200 down to £100

does everything you need, proper ipod connection, usb and aux and cd. can get a stalks adaptor for it too. also has pre-outs if you want a sub. nice headunit, nothing fancy though

you can go down the alpine route, personally iv found theres little difference in headuints, its just a case of what they look like and what options they have