ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommendations please....

ITB BG 182
Looking at going over the whole car for the Trax car show next weekend.

I have a porter cable polisher and some of the Poorboys SSR polishes 1-2.5 aswell as a large tub of Menzerna intensive.
I do have numerous glazes and sealants then things like EGP as wax's like R222's paste, AG HD and Natty Patty wax.

I have alot of MF cloths too.

But my key to all this is i bourght it all around 4 years ago, will it still all be ok to use or should i get some new stuff?

I know i need some new pads as these ones are falling to bits.

So whats good to buy and where from?

I have the black gold paint work.

A slow blue one.
Pads, no better than hex logic imo. Used a few different ones and these are by far some of the best I've used.

Check here, http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Hex_Logic_Self_Centered_Buffing_Polishing_Pad_p/bufx_107hex5.htm, a breakdown from Chemical Guys themselves on which pad is best for which job. You can get them direct from Chemical Guys but CYC, i4detailing and I think Elite Car Care stocks them too (not sure about the latter but the first two definitely stock them.

As far as products I've only really used Zaino however when I get round to it I'll be sticking it on the store and replacing with gtechniq. Honestly I've been to a few meets like Trax and tbh not as many people actually make too much of an effort with their cars, I've been surprised. Unless you want to make it a regular thing I wouldn't spend too much on products just for the one day when what you've got will do a pretty good job, unless you wan't to buy a little Zaino that is...
;)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
i4d don't sell chemical guys products AFAIK but all those mentioned are generally good places to buy.

Give all the products a real good shake and then see if anything is still separated, waxes I would have thought would be fine unless they've been kept somewhere with a varying temperature, ie very hot then cold such as a shed etc.

A slow blue one.
^^^

Is it just me or is that a strange answer???

He asked about the pads, I gave him a decent answer. He asked about the products and I said they'd likely do the job, no point spending on more expensive products unless of course you use them on a regular basis and get your monies worth instead of using them once in a blue moon and storing them away for long periods of time as most gear has a 'shelf life'. Granted my wording was absolutely pants but I thought it was okay really?

ITB BG 182
Pads, no better than hex logic imo. Used a few different ones and these are by far some of the best I've used.

Check here, http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/Hex_Logic_Self_Centered_Buffing_Polishing_Pad_p/bufx_107hex5.htm, a breakdown from Chemical Guys themselves on which pad is best for which job. You can get them direct from Chemical Guys but CYC, i4detailing and I think Elite Car Care stocks them too (not sure about the latter but the first two definitely stock them.

As far as products I've only really used Zaino however when I get round to it I'll be sticking it on the store and replacing with gtechniq. Honestly I've been to a few meets like Trax and tbh not as many people actually make too much of an effort with their cars, I've been surprised. Unless you want to make it a regular thing I wouldn't spend too much on products just for the one day when what you've got will do a pretty good job, unless you wan't to buy a little Zaino that is...
;)

Ok i know f-all about the pads things.

So in your experience what pads should i have for the following :-

medium polish/cut
light polish/cut
glaze
sealants
wax's

Is there anything for buffing off or is it elbow grease time? Im a lazy s**t thats all.

Ok i know f-all about the pads things.

So in your experience what pads should i have for the following :-

medium polish/cut
light polish/cut
glaze
sealants
wax's

Is there anything for buffing off or is it elbow grease time? Im a lazy s**t thats all.

John, pads for polishing, applicators for sealants and waxes chap.

Cut pad and finishing pad will see you fine. Remember you will need spot pads of each, so totaling 4 pads.

The answer given above is something that everyone forgets to ask in the first place. What's your budget, how often will you correct, how fussed are you etc. So AJ02 was spot on as John has clearly left the products for a while, so is clearly not going to correct on a 6 month basis. No offence John.

Buffing off is Mf cloths. If the product has stuck on due to heat etc use some quick detailer. The pads linked above are great.

ITB BG 182
I might do my car at the beginning and end of the summery months, i also have a freelander, xr2 mk1 (is not being machine polished), VW estate, Saab to work through.
That Zaino stuff looks costly tho, so JD would you say a few new MF cloths + new drying towel, couple new pads and a few applicators?

A slow blue one.
Don't think you could go wrong with that really and you're right about the Zaino being expensive but I personally feel it's worth the extra pennies for the result you can achieve, the gtechniq is even more expensive... I've definitely got the detailing bug. I know this is the same name I've referred to before but if you are looking for some good mf and drying towels check Chemical Guys, it's a case of you get what you pay for and I know they're slightly more expensive than the Kent ones you can get at B&Q or Asda but imo it's worth it if they reduce the likely hood of swirl marks etc in your paint work.