ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Red hot brakes on Trophy

Didn't know the brakes get hot enough on a trackday to glow red hot, but these pictures from the Renaultsport trackday at Brands prove they do.

clio-track2.jpg

clio-track3.jpg

From this article: http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/4Car-fleet/renault-clio-trophy/report01.html

They look the right size to me, and it corresponds with the caliper. These are just normal steel/iron disks though right??? Surely there's no WAY they can get that hot without a furnace?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
they look the right size to me! are the trophy brakes any different to those on a std 182 / 172 ?

Thats got be some photoshoppery for effect surely? They would fade, stop working, boil the fluid, long before the calipers were able to put that much energy into them?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
If you break hard enough, they will go red . . . my old housemates Teggy R's brake pads caught fire on one rather spirited drive!

He then completely destroyed the brakes on his TT in 2 laps of Castle Coombe, and most recently fried the brakes on his MCoupe in less than 1 lap of the 'ring . .

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
Sir_Dave said:
If you break hard enough, they will go red . . . my old housemates Teggy R's brake pads caught fire on one rather spirited drive!

He then completely destroyed the brakes on his TT in 2 laps of Castle Coombe, and most recently fried the brakes on his MCoupe in less than 1 lap of the 'ring . .

does he drive with his foot on the pedal ??

Can we have some input from the mech guys? I'm still saying no way would a standard setup be capable of putting that much energy into its disks before the calipers and pads overheated and boiled the fluid.

TDI tyre shreader
i used to be able to make the disks glow red on my old F reg nova 1.2 merit never really tried with my 172

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Thats quite normal for a track day with a driver that knows what hes doing. Also the key is a good photograper to get the timing spot on as they only glow for a second or so...... Boiling the fliud usually happens when you stop stationary (no cooling) with the brakes mad hot.. 1 lap of the ring is a good example.

Last trip to the ring 20+ laps, stinking hot brakes complete stand still for 10mins whilst getting off the curcuit and NO ISSUES - GOD BLESS DS3000's and Silkoline race fluid..!

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
Have you seen the effects you get running Carbon Metallic pads? :D

brakespark.jpg

Last edited:

Lee

BMW M2C
Yeah, that's y0z2a sparking, I took that picture on the M6 Toll. I've got more somewhere.

i've had the brakes smoking on my 1.6 clio when i was bedding in new discs and pads, wasnt even driving it THAT hard, lol. Havent had it quite as bad since, and is only after very hard driving eg long sweeping bends at license loosing speeds that rather rapidly become tight bends that mean i have to half my speed or spin out of control.

Scooby STi, FiestaST
looks fair enough on that glow. My *cough* ford puma *cough* had a recall on it after the brakes locked on a bit and i didnt really notice all the way back from lakeside to southend (25 miles) and they were glowing slightly when i got home.
It was a crap car from then on......

dk

911 GTS Cab
Nik said:
Have you seen the effects you get running Carbon Metallic pads? :D

brakespark.jpg
LOL, this is exactly what mine do, really s***s people up at night when you fly past then spark at them!

172 /megane cab
can get mine to glow with green stuff turbo disc and pads noisy tho but do a good job i think what with no abs