ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

remote assistance

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Roy Munsonis trying to connect to my computer to help me burm something to CD, i have switched off Macfee firewall and XP is off aswell but he cannot connect!

help!!

VNC is an option yeah, but I'm really annoyed about the RA. I can ping his machine just fine so thats ruled out hardware firewall.

172 Cup
Where software firewalls use "stealth" mode and will not respond to ping requests Hardware firewalls do.

Just because you are able to ping his machine does not rule out the firewall/NAT causing the problem.

172 Cup
Unless you've used VNC (Real and Ultra are probably the best clients to use) before I'd persist with MSN. If Seb's using a router which I presume he is (you mentioned hardware firewall) he needs to forward the relavant TCP/UDP ports (6891-6900 from memory). Once this is done correctly you will be able to operate remote assistance.

The big issue is that I have tried RA on at least 4 other machines and I get the exact same error each time...with or without Sygate active.

Remote Assistance Failed - please try again

The problem is at my end almost certainly

He's on a straight modem BTW, AOL

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Yes i have a box on the floor which two cables come out of. one to the phone socket and another to my computer. lol (you can see i know exactly what is going on here...)

172 Cup
Ok... Not sure why you mentioned a hardware firewall then but nevermind..

Without knowing more details then it could be one of many problems. If you haven't been succesful connecting to numerous PC's Roy then it does look like there's a problem your end.

.Griff. said:
Ok... Not sure why you mentioned a hardware firewall then but nevermind..

Well, at the time I wasnt sure if the AOL 'modem' was a router or hub, as Seb isnt a master of these things as I'm sure he would be the first to admit (nor am I)

I established that as long as his software firewall was off, I could ping his IP. With my software firewall off, he was able to ping me, so that kinda estebalished (in my mind) that the two machines could technically see each other.

RA still refuses to work though. The user sends the request (tried email and MSN) which I recieve. I accept. The user gets the acceptance message, but all I get is a message telling me the connection failed. I've tried this this in all sorts of firewall configurations on 4 seperate machines...all with the same results.

Its pissing me off because I know the problem is my end and I'm usually pretty clued up, but I cant solve this riddle, despite hours of Googling and tinkering.

Adams_16v said:
most likely be firewall problem or ports needed forwarding mate!

I've tried disabling my firewall. Even to the point of stopping it at startup using msconfig. Nothing seems to work. To be honest I'm pulling my hair out, man versus machine scenario.

Try the application whiteboard sharing thingy in messenger instead of remote assistance.

If either of you are using a hardware router / firewall that is able to use UPNP (should be a setting somewhere if you are and it does) make sure this is turned on. This enables apps such as Messenger to dynamically open and close firewall ports so that they can talk to other PC's behind firewalls. (If you've both just using modems ignore this!)

172 Cup
Roy Munson said:
With my software firewall off, he was able to ping me, so that kinda estebalished (in my mind) that the two machines could technically see each other.

Bear in mind there's a huge difference in 2 things being able to "see" each other and "interacting" with each other.

The only reason why the connection is failing is because something is blocking that connection. You say you have your firewall turned off, have you ensured Windows firewall is also turned off too?

.Griff. said:
Bear in mind there's a huge difference in 2 things being able to "see" each other and "interacting" with each other.

The only reason why the connection is failing is because something is blocking that connection. You say you have your firewall turned off, have you ensured Windows firewall is also turned off too?

Yeah I realise that mate. The ping thing was just to see if they could technically 'connect'.

Yeah I never use the XP Firewall anyway, as it doesnt monitor outgoing traffic. I have an NTL cable modem, and I run Sygate as my software firewall. Thanks for all the help so far from everyone :)

Good to have some input from network savvy types :approve:

There's also the issue of local IP and internet IP addresses, but I get a bit lost after that. Something is stopping my machine actually connecting to the requesting computer...but f**k knows what it is :(

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
u need to setup port forwarding for that, so it forwards the local LAN port to your WAN address!