ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remoulds - opinions

Lionel Richie
would you/wouldn't you?

i'm about to take on a "blind" test of tyres, they're remoulded (technically nicer term is retread) The guy next door to me has been in the remould business for 30+ years and knows his onions (only bloke i know that still vulcanises damaged tyres)

the bikers amongst you may have heard of tomahawk tyres, and the rally boys will know of maxxsport - both him

anyway, he can now get hold of Michelin PE2 patterned re treads (using michelin cases)

i'e seen them and visually they're identical to PE2's

his bike tyres were tested in a true blind test by pro riders and he came 2nd i believe beating the big names

he's asked me to test some of these tyres out for performance, feel, reliability, endurance etc etc

if they were good and obviously will be a decent price would you run them? i know some people will say instantly no, but remember retreads are manfactured in the same way as oe, just the case is pre used

thoughts?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
If they performed no different to new tyres then i wouldn't have an issue using re moulds. The guy sounds like he knows his stuff aswell.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Used regularly in trucks and commercial aviation, pretty much as new tyres iirc.

182 (Conversion)
My (probably mis)conception of remoulds were they were cheap and substandard.

I'd give them a go, if a guinnie pig I'd expect it free though.

I actually thought they were now illegal lol

H&R + Pole Position'd Cup
I would if theyre up to scratch. Going to be in need of new tyres shortly too so if the price was right I'd take a set.

Does he do R888's? :D

a burnt one
I'm open minded enough now to maybe consider it, but if you had asked me when i first started driving it would be an instant no, they wire simply unsafe, i remember the days when the likes of kwik-fit used to sell them, i had countless blowouts on cars i had bought in the olden days as cheap runarounds.

This would be the problem he has i imagine ; converting people like me who have had bad experiences of remoulded tyres and those who know people who have.

A remoulded tyre would have to offer me a saving of at least 30-40% on the list price of the tyre it was remoulded on for me to use them, i'd be interested not just in the results of road tests of these PE2's in handling, feel, road noise etc etc which you could test in a day but the length of life in the tyre. they may offer the same levels of grip and comfort as the original but only last a fraction of the time. All questions that would need hard evidence for me and people like me to use a remould.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Is there not sa big danger of them delaminating when really hot?
That was always my impression of them.

Evo
Isnt most of what makes a tyre in rubber compound and softness etc?

Surely he cant get the same spec rubber as michelin.

Tav

Clio 197
Why not? :S

Because they are one of the biggest manufactuers in the world and given the price they charge and how many they make they probably spec. very high grades of rubber...there's a lot goes into compounds and they aren't going to make their's public I wouldn't have thought.

clio sport 172
Def use them if price is right... used to run a v8 rangerover on retreads absolutely no problem and that was some serious weight and power!

I dunno, I wonder if the quality will match Michelins original quality of rubber, remember Michelin, Goodyear etc spend millions on r&d perfecting their product, Barry in his unit under a bridge does not.

Personally I would stick to brand names, Camskill sell Goodyear tyres for £65 each, or even Toyo for £45, their cheapest are £35, the difference will be what, £120 a set?

How much is your insurance excess, and how much grief will you get if you run into the back of someone/over a child?

ph1 172...a red one
Can anyone explain the re-moulding/re-treading process??

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A retread, or "recap," (or "remould" in the UK) is a previously-worn tire which has gone through a remanufacturing process designed to extend its useful service life.
Retreading starts with a safety inspection of the tire. The old tread is then buffed away, and a new rubber tread is applied to the bare "casing" using specialized machinery.
Retreads are significantly cheaper than new tires. As a result, they are widely used in large-scale operations such as trucking, bussing and commercial aviation. They are also the most environmentally friendly way of recycling used tires - in some applications, a tire can be retreaded up to 10 times. Recycled rubber from retreads can be shredded to make rubber mulch.

Nissan 350z
Depends on the price and how they stand up next to originals. If your talking half the cost, then deffinately but if your only looking at a 15% saving then id rather just splash alittle extra and get originals.

koi

Audi S1
They would have to perform just as well and offer a significant saving to make it worthwhile imo

182cup & 172 racecar
When driving along at a more than steady pace,it would always be in the back of my mind that something might just let go.

So not convinced at the mo.

For me tyres are one of those rare items where you get exactly what you pay for, personally I haven't got a problem shelling out on a set of decent branded tires as I know they will be reliable, consistent and if they do develop a fault such as sidewall bulging also covered by a warranty. At the end of the day when driving hard etc you rely on them performing, a failure due to poor manufacture could lead to far more than 60mins waiting on the hard shoulder....

The technology used on truck, aviation & tractor tires is effective, but they are obviously on a far larger scale, look at truck tyres for instance, they are so hardy you can re-cut tread into them! I wouldn't yet trust that same technology used on a set of minimal low profile performance tyres, I'd like to be proved wrong though for my bank balances sake ;)

330i. E30 Touring.
The costs involved with lorry tyres are so different.

A recut is about £25, where as a new tyre is about £150, give or take. Plus, the tyres have 12mm tread when new, and only about 6/7mm once recut.

Is it the same policy where he just cuts into PE2's, or are they completely 'remoulded'?

I was using the re-cutting as an example of the durability/size of truck tyres.

Its not the process used here, If I understand correctly its an imitation tred literally bonded onto the original casing?

330i. E30 Touring.
I'd imagine so.

The thickness of a low profile PE2 just hasn't got the depth.

Undecided about whether I'd run them or not.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
but do you not see loads of lorry remould tread on the side of the road?

330Ci Clubsport
apparantly you can recut R888s. only found this out recently.

would need to be around half price imo for the retreads to get people interested.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Same as any new tyre tbh. No one's willing to take achance. I've just put 4 new hankook's on. Did very well in a german tyre test, dirt cheap (£50 a corner in 205/45 16) but because they're unknown people seem to think I'm mad!

Breaking mk2 DCI
apparantly you can recut R888s. only found this out recently.

would need to be around half price imo for the retreads to get people interested.

yeah the R888's come with less tread depth to eliminate flex so i can believe that, id personally use them for road and track then when low just track until i see threads,

id give them a go if the price is right,