ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing alternator - help!

Decided to have a go at changing the water pump on my valver myself but it seems to be turning out to be a big mistake. I thought it was hard releasing the tensioner pulley but now I’m having a nightmare with the lower alternator mounting nut. It just won’t budge and there isn’t enough room to fit a bigger ratchet in there.

Has anyone got any tips or ideas for moving this? I’ve been trying since last night and its driving me nuts!!!

Willy2

have you taken the drivers headlight out because that needs to happen to get to the bits you need, otherwise there is no room at all.

Have you removed the radiator and front panel. With them removed the space freed up, transforms this job. To get radiator out, undo four bolts that hold slam panel on, pop the water hoses, and unbolt cooling fan from radiator. Leaving cooling fan where it is, you should be able to slide radiator up and out. With this and headlight out you have all the space required. Get a decent ring spanner and with the aid of another spanner hooked over end you should be able to crack bottom alternator bolt, then with other bolts removed from plate that goes to ps pump and bar that goes to inlet manifold, you should be able to tap through alternator bottom bolt and manouvre alternator out through headlamp recess. With radiator still in place its hard to get clearance to work round alternator. Besides take the oppurtunity to flush radiator at same time (I was amazed at crap that came out of mine)

Sounds like a good plan! Didnt think of taking the rad out, Ive put it back together now but Ill have another go at it soon.