ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing clutch pedal mechanism

Clio
Hi

I don't think my clutch pedal is auto adjusting. I had to do a manual reset a short while back which seemed to cure the problem but the clutch is dragging again now.

How do I remove the mechanism and pedal from the car so I can clean it up and regrease?

(Car is Clio 182)

Thanks

Clio
Hi again,

I appreciate it's not been long since I posted the topic, but I'd like to have a go at this during the weekend so any info would be great, thanks!

Clio
Hi,

I've made do by resetting the mechanism manually, but it's still not auto adjusting I think. Is anyone able to help?

Thanks,

Clio
Hi Bloke

It's getting to the point I'm going to have to try and reset it again (if it will do it!). Any sign of the drawings? Thanks.

PH2 172
Hi Bloke

It's getting to the point I'm going to have to try and reset it again (if it will do it!). Any sign of the drawings? Thanks.

As a short term bodge, you could space the outer clutch cable stop arm, but clutch replacement is really what is required. See post 55.
https://www.cliosport.net/threads/clutch-issue.799250/page-2
JC5-129.JPG

Clio
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I have had a read of your linked post and note the symptoms are similar to mine. So in principle, the friction surface of the clutch can still be okay but its the diaphragm spring which begins to flex excessively before it moves the friction plate?

I am presuming these clutch plates are like most cars with the "finger" arrangement pressed by the thrust bearing?

If I resort to the temporary fix, any idea how much travel is there left in the mechanism before it hits any stops or runs out of travel?

I would still like to inspect the auto adjuster though given the likely work for that vs a clutch replacement...

PH2 172
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I have had a read of your linked post and note the symptoms are similar to mine. So in principle, the friction surface of the clutch can still be okay but its the diaphragm spring which begins to flex excessively before it moves the friction plate?

I am presuming these clutch plates are like most cars with the "finger" arrangement pressed by the thrust bearing?

If I resort to the temporary fix, any idea how much travel is there left in the mechanism before it hits any stops or runs out of travel?

I would still like to inspect the auto adjuster though given the likely work for that vs a clutch replacement...

Correct, a 2mm washer bought me around 6000 miles & 30mm of pedal movement before the clutch started to drag badly again, making engaging 1st or reverse whilst stationary nearly impossible.
A 2nd washer made very little difference.

Clio
Thanks for the replies.

Bloke, having seen the video without sound, am I right thinking that the cluch pedal is part of the brake pedal assembly so it all comes out as one?

Presuming that I can unclip the brake pedal from the master cylinder and withdraw it all as one unit to work on the bench?