ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing gear knob without ruining it.

Land Rover
It can be done, but you need to remove the gear lever assembly.

Remove the gear lever assembly and support it upside down on bricks or blocks of wood so the gear knob is off the ground.
Put a large spanner over the bottom of the gear knob. Support the other end of the spanner with a block of wood etc so it’s horizontal.

Clobber the end nearest the gear knob with a good sized hammer. After a few blows the knob will come off undamaged.

As a new Cliosport gear knob costs £85 from Renault, should you need to remove it you want to avoid damage if possible.

It can be done, but you need to remove the gear lever assembly.

Remove the gear lever assembly and support it upside down on bricks or blocks of wood so the gear knob is off the ground.
Put a large spanner over the bottom of the gear knob. Support the other end of the spanner with a block of wood etc so it’s horizontal.

Clobber the end nearest the gear knob with a good sized hammer. After a few blows the knob will come off undamaged.

As a new Cliosport gear knob costs £85 from Renault, should you need to remove it you want to avoid damage if possible.
Good guide but why would you want to remove it.

Land Rover
I needed to remove mine to fit a new gear lever assembly, which cost £85 but made a world of difference to the gear change action.

Land Rover
Mine has a thin leather covering
Well l assume it’s leather.
Sadly l damaged it trying to remove it before working out how to get it off undamaged.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Pull and twist gets them off damage free. Small bit of epoxy resin when refitting to stop it coming loose.

Land Rover
Pull and twist just ripped the leather on mine. That bad boy was not coming off it took about a dozen blows with a hammer to shift it.