ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing headlining glue from the roof?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Set about removing the glue stuck to the roof today - the stuff that holds the headlining up.

Started my usual routine that I've done on all the other patches on the car on that, and also scraping too to remove the glue.

But..the roof seems to be getting little marks from where I'e heated it up and gone at it with the scraper. They're only small marks but noticeable up close.

Only done a small area because I noticed the marks on the roof and they're noticeable from the outside.

Any tricks/tips I can do to remove the rest without getting any marks??

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Nah I havent' got to that stage yet, I'm trying to get through the thick layer first - I'll use the white spirit/tar remover afterwards.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
its a right pig to do !!

wall paper scraper, heat gun, thinners, lots of rags.( thick ish rubber gloves advisable as tar gets hot)

heat up the tar in a5 sized sections( half a sheet of a4 paper) too cold it wont come of.. make it bubble and it wil get stickier.

heat each area until its just hot enough to slide the wallpaper scraper under and slide the tar of in strips. do this bit by bit ( dont scrape to hard as it will put lines in your roof skin from the scraper.

once all the tar is removed wet a rag with thinners and hold to teh tar residue untill it will wipe clean. repeat untill you happy

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
its a right pig to do !!

wall paper scraper, heat gun, thinners, lots of rags.( thick ish rubber gloves advisable as tar gets hot)

heat up the tar in a5 sized sections( half a sheet of a4 paper) too cold it wont come of.. make it bubble and it wil get stickier.

heat each area until its just hot enough to slide the wallpaper scraper under and slide the tar of in strips. do this bit by bit ( dont scrape to hard as it will put lines in your roof skin from the scraper.

once all the tar is removed wet a rag with thinners and hold to teh tar residue untill it will wipe clean. repeat untill you happy

That's what started to happen so I stopped....there are small lines in the roof from where I've used the scraper. Same again but be gentler for the rest of it?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Yeah I was using a heat gun, same method as I've done for all of the other patches on the car.

Only on 1st heat setting out of the two, so half heat.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I've removed all of the sticky tar patches now, and am now left with the glue. In the past It's come straight off with white spirit and autoglym tar remover.

Any suggestions to get the stuff off the roof and it's really stubborn compared to the rest of the panels.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
The stuff on the roof is polyurethane glue, a right pig to get off, I gave up on mine! Apparently the way to do it is soak in acetone... which is pretty tricky with it being the roof :(

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Would using acetone strip any of the paint at all?

If it was brushed on, does it eat away at the glue, then is it possible to peel off afterwards?

E46 M3
Are you not painting the inside?

I used sandpaper on a DA polisher but the inside was going to be painted so it didn't matter.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Are you not painting the inside?

I used sandpaper on a DA polisher but the inside was going to be painted so it didn't matter.

Yeah it will be eventually (hopefully in the summer)!

I didn't think of sandpaper, but by hand I'm guessing that's going to be a proper ball ache?!