ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing rubber boot on steering column

Clio Mk2 172
In an attempt to diagnose a cracking/clicking noise that i can feel through the from the steering column I am struggling to remove the rubber shroud that covers the universal joint.

Is there a trick to exposing the UJ without removing the dash/shaft? I've tried with a load of force to pull it up or to peel if back but no joy!

Clio UJ.jpeg

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
Did you manage to diagnose the problem?

I’d say I have what sounds like the same issue in my 182ff.

Cheers,

Ed

03 clio sport asc
Bump, can I get an update on this as its driving me nuts! I spray Lithium grease in there and it goes away but then comes back, really want to at least peek in there and see whats what!

Bump, can I get an update on this as its driving me nuts! I spray Lithium grease in there and it goes away but then comes back, really want to at least peek in there and see whats what!
Take it out and have a look. If you want to properly look at it the column will have to come out, it’s not difficult just fiddly. You can undo the lower uj bolt from in the car, doesnt take long.

You are perhaps not getting the grease into the right area, its like a plastic bearing type thing that spins in teh boot,

Pry between the rubber and the plastic bearing and spray grease in here, worth a shot

Clio UJ.jpeg

Attachments

• Clio UJ.jpeg
    Clio UJ.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 127