ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing the ABS system?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Hi guys.

Currently looking into removing the entire ABS system and just running normal brakes, as i think you get more feel for whats going on, also it would have to be removed for the engine conversion i am planning (Fuel injected Renault 5 gt turbo engine)

Only worry is that my speedo comes from my ABS system?
I believe that the speedo on a renault 5 gt turbo box comes from a cable? not totally sure though.

Any ideas of ways around this?

Also, any information on problems i might run into along the way, or problems after doing it etc Dash lights on etc would be very handy!

Thanks.

Lionel Richie
speedo runs off the box on that fella, so you won't have a problem, bin the ABS and fit an inline bias valve, job done!

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
You sure? as i have had the engine out for a clutch change and the only thing i had to disconnect from the box was the reverse light switch on the passenger side at the bottom? there wasn't anything else?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Yeah was just a green connection i removed from the box, was always under the impression the speedo came from the ABS?
Reg is PE02 GMU

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
All the files are to large mate so have to do it through photobucket, just under half way, being slow tonight, sorry Fred!

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
DSCF0397.gif

DSCF0396.gif

DSCF0392.gif

DSCF0391.gif

DSCF0388.gif

DSCF0383.gif

DSCF0379.gif

See what i mean?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Didn't realise i had a ABS Fuze, will take a look tomorrow before going to college and see if i can find it :)
Would it be on the passenger side with the internal ones? or under the bonnet?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Sorry Fred, will get some pics tomorrow, dont finish college til 4 mind, but got plans for tracing wires tomorrow so will be working on it so can get some then.

I know the only thing i had to remove from the engine was a green connection which i think was the reverse light switch. Do you have a pic of what your talking about?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
its passengers side, in car fuse box. cant remember what fuse it is but i remember removing it when i was younger in my 1.2 16v to drive with no ABS and being so confused as to why i had no speedo lol

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Haha okay thanks Martin, Sure it comes from the ABS, will find out tomorrow and let you all know to see if we can work out a solution to it.

Cheers.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Right, i did what martain said and pulled the ABS fuze this morning, and all the way to college i had no speedo, so my speedo comes from my ABS.
This now creates a problem as i want to remove the ABS and keep a speedo?
As far as i am aware, all the cliosport clocks are electric speedo's? .. I think the R5 GTT box is a pencil drive box?
What would the solution be?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
cant you keep the sensors, but remove the abs pump and run new brake lines?

Im not sure because i wont be using that ECU etc? so surley when i remove the ECU and all the ABS and leave the sensors, the ECU wont be connected to it? so how will it know what to do?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
sorry not sure on the issue of how to remove it, but yes 182s run the speedo from ABS as do ph2 172s, 172 cups and ph1 172s use a speedo drive in the gearbox, 182 cups run from abs as per a normal 182

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Hopefully i can just leave the sensor in place and strip all the ABS out.
Think that can be done?
Hopefully Fred will spot this soon and give his input!

clio 182
If you are running the standard ecu could you leave the sensors in place?

I have a 182 and planning removing the abs, pas and ac. Could get complicated.......

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
iirc you may need a cup box as i think they have an alternative speedo drive due to them running no abs.. unless they still have the abs rings on the shafts for the abs pickup to operate the speedo

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Nah i dont Fred. I am 99% sure the only things i removed were a couple of earths and the reverse light switch when taking it out, and as i said i removed the ABS fuze drove it and i had no speedo.

Any ideas what the solution is?
As i want to get all the parts first before going ahead and fitting it all haha.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Could i not strip the entire ABS out and run seperate lines like i was planning, but leave the ABS speed sensor in just for the speedo?
If not, what other Cable driven box could i use that will mate with a r5 gtt engine? and what clocks would be needed?
Sorry for all the questions mate.

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
What model car are they from Fred? the code dont ring a bell for me?
Any chance there are any ph2 clocks that will fit my dash that use gearbox output drive?

Speed-o could be run off the ABS as that looks like the older D7F 1.2 8v the rare type with a electronic fly by wire throttle body

I know all the D4F 1.2 16v on the 2002's where all gearbox driven speed-o's

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Yeah its fly by wire, but when i drop the r5 gtt EFI lump in it will be a cable throttle, basically any solution meaning i can keep my clocks, or the sport clocks, with any gear box that mates with the r5 gtt engine will be ideal.

Ideas?

I'm not sure as your clocks will be electronic speed-o

The older pre 1998 will be cable driven clocks

Guess some one handy with electrics can just put a new electronic speed-o drive into your new gearbox (jb3? jc5? and wire it into your clocks

Last edited:
  R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Yeah so are there any clocks that will fit my dash that are cable driven? as i could just use the cable driven r5 gtt box then!

Could i strip my entire ABS system out, run lines straight to the calipers all around, and just leave the sensor for the speed? .. Is it on the drive shaft or what? how do they work?