ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Under Bonnet Sound Deadening

RB 182 195bhp
Hi,
I have a FF 182, I was thinking about taking off the sound deadening from the under side of the bonnet as it looks horrible and its dirty and pretty much impossible to clean.
My question is will this increase wind noise on the motorway much? I've seen a few people on here have done it, and it looks really good, but I don't want to take it off and then regret it. Its obviously been put there for a reason?
Cheers

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Nothing to do with wind, its to do with engine noise out side of the car.

RenaultSport 172
Took mine off. Haven't noticed any difference. I don't have much of an interior though so its already fairly loud

172 Cup
My mate took his off on a BMW. He then got condensation on the under side of the bonnet which dripped into places where you don't want water. Needless to say it soon went back on.
Never had that problem on my Clio however.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Mine went years ago and heat did effect the paint, but only very slightly and less than flamin stone chips.

Clio 172
Bloody hilarious, When I took mine off Renault did not bother to spray the complete underside of the bonnet, so on parts there is just primer showing through, classy build quality on these cars..

RB 182 195bhp
... Instantly put off lol. Anyone else had the same? Mine is a 2004 rb if it was a year/ colour issue

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Mines the same, quick job to spray over it TBH. Will do it over winter sometime

RB 182 195bhp
Mine went years ago and heat did effect the paint, but only very slightly and less than flamin stone chips.

I don't think it can protect the paint from heat at all, it's only think carpet? If it was for heat wouldn't it be metal like the exhaust heat shields? Plus there is nothing very hot in that area anyway, it's only the inlet manifold, the exhaust doesn't pass anywhere near it.
My dad had a ginetta, and the exhaust manifold passed about 10mm below the bonnet, only got hot in traffic and had no long term effects on the paint. He put a aluminium heat shield on and there were no more issues.
Its just for sound of some description.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Ok. Next time you run the clio for about 30 mins or so stop the car, leave it for five mins, then open the bonnet and put your hands good and tight on the inlet manifold and count to zero slowly backwards from 10. Then come back and tell us it wasn't hot! Actually, don't it won't be nice!