ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

removing window tint residue

RB 182 FF
Hi,

The rear side windows on my 182 have had vinyl tint on them which cracked and has now been removed. however there is some major residue left behind. normally wd40 works fine for removing sticker residue but this stuff is stubborn!
Any tips on the best methods and products?

Should i heat it up?

Thanks for your help.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I always smear a petrol soaked rag over it to soften it, then scrape with a Stanley/razor blade.

I've done 3 in the last month and it is without doubt the worst job in the world. Hate it. f**king stuff.

clio 172cup
I had to use petrol and a blade to clean mine off , didn't smell for ages either , failing that glue or adhesive remover that sign writers use might work

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
PITA. I truly horrible job!

I once bought a mini cooper tailgate to replace a damaged one on a car I was doing up to sell. Only when I got it home did I notice the inside of the screen was tacky. Film removed prior to sale but residue remained :(

I bought Sticky Stuff remover from Halfords (yellow can) and then used a combination of blade or Brillo pad. Neither scratched the glass btw.

Feel for you Daniel, having to do 3!

CBR1000RR Fireblade
I've had to do this before. It's a royal ball ache, as already mentioned petrol is probably the best bet.

RS Clio 172
Did it on a mates Golf and all I did was sit in the car and wack all the heaters on full and used a razor blade to scrape it all off. It worked a treat but it gets really hot. :)

Clio Sport 182
I remember watching one of the cop programmes, they pulled someone about tinted windows & advised using Nail Polish Remover, to get the stickiness off?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I had to remove the tints on the M3. 5 windows = 1 hour using the following:

AutoSmart Tardis
Pure Acetone Nail Varish Remover
0000 Steel Wool

Total cost of the above? Circa £10.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Handy tip... If removing tints, it's much easier to get the glue to come away with the tint.

So, but a cheap wallpaper stripper (about £20) and heat the tint film with that, then peel slowly and you can remove the film and glue in one go.

I did this with my 182 the day after I bought it. The midnight tints were far too council.

RB 182 FF
Thanks for all the responses - I will give some of these a go and let you know the results.

With all of these substances - my neighbours might think I have a problem.....

RB 182 FF
Bumping this incase anyone wanted to know the results. Contact cleaner and solvent cleaner work. Paint thinner worked with very little elbow grease but definitely wear a breather. I didn't have one to hand and only lasted a few minutes before getting dizzy. The best advice is don't rip them off in the first place.....