ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault build quality getting worse

I was speaking to someone today who works at a renault distribution centre and he told me how todays renaults are possibly worse built than ones of a few years ago.

I can see what he means too with all the posts i see on here about this and that going wrong with their new 182s etc

I guess theyre never gonna be super reliable though.....seems to be a french car trait !!!

What do some of you experienced renault owners think ?

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

i think that its a very small % of people that have probs, renaults rattle but so does most other cars sub 12k

never had a problem with my 52 plate 1.6, if they just eliminated the rattles the car would be great but then prob cost more

cant have everyhing i suppose.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Its all about profit now, Brand loyalty is almost non existant anymore an the car manufacturers are to blame.

They just want to sell X amount of Cars for £XX,000 they have sales targets an profit targets not customer staifaction targets. A shareholder sat in his Million pound villas doesnt care if you like your renaultr he has your money already!!
all manufacturers seem to be heading the same way. mercedes, a brand i know i see as prestigious, is having huge build quality an warrenty problems in the quest to make more money!

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

i have owned several cars and some from new. none have given me as much grief as the 182... but i think that is the nature of the beast with it as it is a bit of high powered loads of electrical bits and bobs to go wrong with it.

cannot comment whether the build quality has gone down over the years as i have only owned this clio.

as for the rattles.. they are the least of my troubles! i think they give my car character (or so i try and kid myself!)

on the other hand, my citroen c3 never missed a beat and was bloody great.

133/225/CLS AMG

Ive had an L plate Clio and X reg and now have a 53 plate 172 and havent noticed any depreciation in quality by comparison to any other car manufacturer.

Have experience numerous Fords and they arent any more sturdy than a Renault. Only probs Ive found have been with the dealer and by the sounds of things other garages are just as bad!! :confused:

Renault Laguna Coupe

Mine have got better, the 172 had quite a few rattles and generally felt cheap. This one feels so much better.

Ive owned various Renaults/other motors for 18year,and admit the 172/182 build quality is poor.In the 10year I had my GT Turbo it gave next to no probs what so ever except 2turbos & the usual wheel bearings.Never once into a garage.Never once had a burst damper in the 145k never mind 12k. 172 at present has been in at least 14times, not through breakdowns but all of the other problems mentioned on previous forums.Not to mention you can just about spit peas through most of the panels and you dare not push the bonnet closed!

Sinclair C5

i had a megane coupe for 6 years (bought it when it was 2 years old) and it was superb, no rattles nothing.

Had my 2 year old 172 for 6 months and it rattles like a skeleton having a mailto:w@~k">w@~k in a biscuit tin , very very annoying !

Volvo S60 T5

no different from what its been for the last 4 years, I recon the owners are getting fussy now!

Prepares to be flamed:p

No I do agree a bit, but can say that mines been really good so far.

Remapped derv Golf

I cant understand all these problems owners seem to be having with 182s.

I wasnt around here when the mk2 172 was on sale but was it the same situation?

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Quote: Originally posted by warine_warrior on 24 March 2005

rattles like a skeleton having a mailto:w@~k">w@~k in a biscuit tin , very very annoying !
Thats class, can I use that mate?

Ive had many Renaults over the years and never had a problem. I go away to BMW, Audi or lexus for a year or two every now and then, they breakdown or bits fall off them, so I always return to Renault.

Only time any of my Renaults have been back is when my 2.0 Coupe went back for a recall on its drive shafts and the V6 went in for the ECU recall. Thats in 10 years of buying Renaults.

Quote: Originally posted by Mike172sport on 24 March 2005

no different from what its been for the last 4 years, I recon the owners are getting fussy now!

Prepares to be flamed:p

No I do agree a bit, but can say that mines been really good so far.

it helsp when your a renult mechanic though doesnt it :p

i never had a problem with my 172cup, but the 182 has had quite a few problems, and my dealer is crap too, so all in all renault will need to do something really special to get me to buy another car from them ever again

Quote: Originally posted by telford_mike on 24 March 2005

Mine have got better, the 172 had quite a few rattles and generally felt cheap. This one feels so much better.

you must be one of the lucky ones mate, my V6 is starting to rattle in exactly the same places as my 172 used to rattle.

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Cant fault mine at all,no problems with build quality either.

I never got mine for build quality,the main reasons i got mine were performance,looks,equipment levels and price.You just dont buy Clios for build quality.You can have that with another brand but sacrafice the performance,equipment levels and price.

MGP W02

Am on my second new clio... rattles like hell... but least the 182 doesnt have a sunroof!!! my old 1.2 used to have one and it sounded like i had a hamster stuck in it! LOL

133/225/CLS AMG

To a certain extent do people reckon they treat their cars more harshly than they used too as they expect it to be more solid than it is?!?!?!?

I only ask as I treat my 172 pretty gently as far as the interior goes and I propably have one rattle. The squeaky seat was caused by Renault anyway. The cars a 53 plate and has 11k on the clock.

Just a theory lol!

Ziel Nurburgring

In the quest for cheaper, lighter and more economical cars. Your bound to get Cheraper, Crapper and thinner parts.

You should strip it all out anyway!

My previous car was an XR2i (please dont laugh :oops: and it rattled and squeeked. I was really looking forward to getting a brand new car that would be squeek and rattle free and felt sterdy. But the 182 is almost just as bad as my 15 year old Xr2i when it comes to annoying noises. and its a shame they pussied out on giving it such a quiet exhaust, now ive gotta spend hundreds of £s to make it sound like it should

but I dont care cos its awesome to drive!

renaultsport clio 182

cant understand why some owners have dreadful rattles because mine is solid no rattles what so ever,not saying it just cos its mine,my mates got phase 2 and that has no rattles either, any ideas because some do rattle.:confused: