ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault clio 1.2 16v fast road camshafts

Reanult clio
Ive been looking around on the net for a company that makes fast road camshafts for a 2000-2001 renault clio 1.2 16v (facelift model), ive looked on cat cams, kent and piper cams, however none of the above make the required camshafts.

Just wondered if anyone has any information on where i can get some, or even get some machined.

Thanks.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Firstly, WHY?????

Secondly, seriously, why spend the money? Hell, I mean it's your cash, but it will ALWAYS be slow..... wait and get an RS?

CBR1000RR Fireblade
start with an already quick car mate, you will only throw lots of cash at it and then think why did i do that.

Reanult clio
Everyone says the same, but I'm saving at the moment for insurance on a bigger engined car. So in the meantime I'm going to get as much Bhp out of it as i can, currently I'm running 82bhp at the road wheels, which is an increase of 7bhp which for a 10 year old car isnt to bad. Anyway I have now got a spare set of camshafts and am sending them up to either kent or piper to get them profiled.
Ill post a thread of the bhp and what it looks like when complete.

Arctic Blue 182ff
'saving up' and 'sending them up to get profiled' do not belong in the same sentence.

'Save' your cash, and put it towards the £3k insurance on a 182, or something :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
i wouldnt spend your money on a 1.2 engine, you wont see the output of a even a standard 1.4, i recommend pxing it for a 1.4 or 1.6 if you have a craving for more power

stop wasting your money! plus if you notify your insurers of these power increasing mods your insurnace will go up anyway!

alexessex_7

ClioSport Club Member
  250 Cup & BG 182
Get a 1.6 16v Clio.... They are a whole different car in terms of performance and handerling! Then get an RS

182 cup
I like how people like to modify their cars, whatever they have!

Every vehicle I have owned I have modified spending loads on. For me, its not about the gains, its about knowing you have improved on something on your car and personalised it further

Stripped yozza'd cup
I like how people like to modify their cars, whatever they have!

Every vehicle I have owned I have modified spending loads on. For me, its not about the gains, its about knowing you have improved on something on your car and personalised it further

True, but it's only worth doing if you plan on keeping the car.

To spend money on an engine, whilst at the same time saving for a different car, is nothing short of utterly mental.

R5GTTx2,R11,Clio DCI
i wouldn't even save up for a 1*2 if u want something fast.... they are warm hatches.....

DCi 100
The pre upgrade 1.2 16v is a bag of balls just by itself never mind after messing with it! Coilpacks, sensors, dodgey looms etc etc.

As said literally don't bother. Spend the money on a mac book or a decent camera or something.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Everyone says the same, but I'm saving at the moment for insurance on a bigger engined car. So in the meantime I'm going to get as much Bhp out of it as i can, currently I'm running 82bhp at the road wheels, which is an increase of 7bhp which for a 10 year old car isnt to bad. Anyway I have now got a spare set of camshafts and am sending them up to either kent or piper to get them profiled.
Ill post a thread of the bhp and what it looks like when complete.

eBay chip? Proof required.

Reanult clio
Im not looking to gain masses of speed, the car is mainly a 'Stance' car, ive already uprated the suspension with coilovers, with harder springs, and am in the process of getting custom camber plates made. The only thing im not going to be happy with is a standard engine, therefore, i have uprated the manifolds and am getting the cams profiled.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I like your display picture what is it?

As for the OP, don't bother. I regret spending so much on bloody showy mods let alone the engine.

I don't know, some weird light balls. Got knows where I got the pic now, think I found it whilst looking for a couple canvas's for the house.

Ph1 172
I admire you for what your trying to do, but do you honestly think it would keep with a furio/quicksilver/clio 1.4 either on the track/straights/twisties, because you won't. And the figures your stating at the wheels means you've got almost the same bhp at the flywheel as a vts? I really cant see it, and im not being horrible i used to own a 1.2 8v clio V reg and 1.2 16v was slower than mine.

Yours with full system, decat, manifold, performance filter, cams & remap will see 100bhp at flywheel max, Saxo vtr is 98bhp at flywheel and you still wont keep up

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I admire you for what your trying to do, but do you honestly think it would keep with a furio/quicksilver/clio 1.4 either on the track/straights/twisties, because you won't. And the figures your stating at the wheels means you've got almost the same bhp at the flywheel as a vts? I really cant see it, and im not being horrible i used to own a 1.2 8v clio V reg and 1.2 16v was slower than mine.

Yours with full system, decat, manifold, performance filter, cams & remap will see 100bhp at flywheel max, Saxo vtr is 98bhp at flywheel and you still wont keep up

Owned? 1.2s are dodgey and slow. everyone knows it too. get a 1*2 engine it in.

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
As Fred said, no way mate, im guessing you had that measured on a rolling road? If so it's simply an optimistic rolling road, or a bent operator

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
go for it mate, who gives a f**k what others think. It'll be faster than other 1.2's!

I know this thread is old, but words cannot express just how retarded this idea is. Even if you do squeeze more power out of the engine, you've said yourself it's in a "stanced" car, which means a standard 1.2 on standard suspension will pump you as soon as you come to anything resembling a corner.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Has the OP considered the full cost of this, ie re-profiling, installation, cambelt kit, re-mapping etc. If you're getting rid of the car put that £500 - £1000 towards the insurance of an RS. And I wonder why none of the tuning companies have made a set of cams yet, maybe for the cost it's not worth the gain.

If you're planning to change to an RS, spend your money on parts you can take with you.

I had a Mk2 1.4 16v and wanted more, so bought a 5 Turbo insured as a 2nd car on limited mileage. worked out cheaper than buying and insuring an RS and had the best of both worlds.

182 trackday racer
Total waste of money. By stocks instead and by a 172/182/197 in a year or two.

I have a 1.6 16v that Ive threw some money at before buying a 182. I regret ever puting a single penny at tweaking out that 1.6.... Its miles and miles away from a RS