ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Dealer Responsibilities / obligations

BMW E34 540i
Hi

This morning van at work broke down. Renault Master diesel. Car was bought 2008 in Renault Trucks Manchester authorised dealer. Over its whole lifetime until now it was serviced only with them except tyres. People dealing with fleet maintenance at work are not very good in how the car works therefore came with the problem to me.

So far this van have done 230K miles and as above this morning cambelt snapped. Vehicle went back to the dealer and from what they told me the valves are bend and tomorrow once they take the head off they will advise how much it is going to cost. There is one big issue here. The cambelt haven't been ever replaced. This van had some pretty serous work done on it meaning clutch twice, new gearbox last year etc. + multiple services over last 6 years.

Shouldn't the dealer at least ask about it at some point to make people realize that this MUST be done? I understand that this is ultimately up to the owner but surely there must be some responsibility at dealers side in that kind of situation. We definitely are not the only of their customer who just send car for necessary repairs and services and expect everything to be done as it should,

I don't want to dwell on why people without any idea how the car works deal with the fleet as this is not up to me. Yes I know its not healthy but it is what it is.

Any ideas how to play it meaning should I argue with the stealer for at least partial contribution towards the cost ?

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ultimately, you were given a book pack which states servicing intervals and procedures. at 230,000 miles you'll be lucky to get £10 out of them i'd have thought.

You sure it's not train driven? I thought the newer masters had chains.

BMW E34 540i
Ehmm no clue I am fairly sure the guy on the phone said cambelt nevertheless what ever it was snapped :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ultimately, you were given a book pack which states servicing intervals and procedures. at 230,000 miles you'll be lucky to get £10 out of them i'd have thought.

You sure it's not train driven? I thought the newer masters had chains.

I've answered my own question, it seems they are belt driven if it's the 2.5.

Also, on your invoices, there will be some of the generic writing at the bottom, usually generated by the service advisor, that states ''Cambelts due every xxx miles or xxx years, ask us for a quote'' or similar.

BMW E34 540i
I've answered my own question, it seems they are belt driven if it's the 2.5.

Also, on your invoices, there will be some of the generic writing at the bottom, usually generated by the service advisor, that states ''Cambelts due every xxx miles or xxx years, ask us for a quote'' or similar.

Intresting I will have a look tomorrow.

Audi A5
Well most if not all the big diesel Renault engines are chain driven and are not a serviceable item so wouldn't get advised on a service. The aux belt on the other hand should get done at certain intervals and you'd expect the dealer to advise that.

What size is the engine?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well most if not all the big diesel Renault engines are chain driven and are not a serviceable item so wouldn't get advised on a service. The aux belt on the other hand would should get done at certain intervals and you'd expect the dealer to advise that.

What size is the engine?

I just googled it, up to 2010, 2.5 diesel masters are belts.

I've got a 03 plate clio in on Monday, 5k on the clock! Serviced by Renault every 6months, never had a cambelt. Even though she booked it in and told them every time, do what needs doing.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh sh*t, well I stand corrected then :eek:

I know the 2.0 M9R Nissan engine is chain driven.

I think it's pretty bad that a commercial vehicle uses a belt driven engine in this day and age. Some vans do upwards of 100k a year and manufacturers expect people to have the van off the road for 2 days every 8 months for a £5/6/700 cambelt replacement??

No wonder Mercedes sprinters sell so well...

clio dci , ren8
What 2 days to do a cambelt try 2 hour max & more like £250 its only a small belt that links the cams but at 230 ,000 miles it should be on its 3rd belt ,. But I have quite a few customers & no matter how hard you tell them about cambelts they just keep driving then cry when it snaps . One customer in particular with a clio dci that I sold to him when it was 6 months old in 2006 has only changed the oil once & the cambelt has not been changed since new .

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
What 2 days to do a cambelt try 2 hour max & more like £250 its only a small belt that links the cams but at 230 ,000 miles it should be on its 3rd belt ,. But I have quite a few customers & no matter how hard you tell them about cambelts they just keep driving then cry when it snaps . One customer in particular with a clio dci that I sold to him when it was 6 months old in 2006 has only changed the oil once & the cambelt has not been changed since new .

Van customers need to be kept on the road so will tend to drop the van off, collect a courtesy van and collect theirs after a couple of days.

Price wise, I was only going by what we used to charge for Trafic cambelts back in 2003 so I may be a little out of touch.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I've got a 03 plate clio in on Monday, 5k on the clock! Serviced by Renault every 6months, never had a cambelt. Even though she booked it in and told them every time, do what needs doing.

I cant help with the thread but an 03 plate on 5K or is that a typo? :eek: