ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Engines

Why is that Renault always seem to be squeezing more out of their engines compared to other manafacturers?

The 1.2 for example, which has 75bhp is a fair bit more compared to any Ford/Puegot engine etc.

This is the same for the 1.4, however the 1.6 is maybe a wee bit under powered compared to the Zetecs in Fords.

I'm not sure how it all works, but im assuming you will get better MPG in a smaller engined car with more bhp?
But less torque?

A bit of a useless thread in all fairness, just curious to as why Renault are building what seems to be more lively engines!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Corsa 1.2s have 78 bhp

New fiesta manages 80BHP out of it's extra 42cc

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
clio 1.6 is not underpowered at alll....... i had one it was nippy as hell....

Nimbus 197
1.5 Dci FTW... 58mph raggin the shite out of it lol.. tax £35 a year.. i couldnt ask for anything else x

Golf GT & A4 Avant
So an Evo 2.0 turbo not be comparable to an RS then? But an Impreza 2.5 turbo would be?

But the Evo would be comparable to the Megane?

Your logic doesn't work.

You're kinda taking things off topic there, thought we were talking about general cars, not something thats rally inspired and tuned as std to a point where it has to be services every 4-6k miles so it doesn't destroy itself with a not very long life expectancy. The RS megane will make 300bhp fairly easily with minor mods and you certainly won't have to service it quite as often.

My Suzuki Swift GTi made 102bhp std from a 1.3 twin cam 16v, but not really comparable to a 1.2 as it revved to 8500 with high compression and rlumpy cams, standard

320d
The 1.4 16v when it fist came out in around 1998ish was a very strong engine for its size, my dad has a 2005 1.4 16v fiesta and thats only got 80bhp. However there was still the k-series pushing out 103bhp etc.

Other than that I don't realy agree, honda had a 1.6 in the older civic vti that was 158bhp thats 48bhp up on renaults.

LY R26
The 1.4 16v when it fist came out in around 1998ish was a very strong engine for its size, my dad has a 2005 1.4 16v fiesta and thats only got 80bhp. However there was still the k-series pushing out 103bhp etc.

Other than that I don't realy agree, honda had a 1.6 in the older civic vti that was 158bhp thats 48bhp up on renaults.

honda vti engine B16 was vtec'd out its box with 163bhp, not really comparable in the sense to the renault 1.6...

its a great engine, the b series engines are possibly the best range of engines honda have made

Laguna 2, Westfield
Why is that Renault always seem to be squeezing more out of their engines compared to other manafacturers?

The 1.2 for example, which has 75bhp is a fair bit more compared to any Ford/Puegot engine etc.

A bit of a useless thread in all fairness, just curious to as why Renault are building what seems to be more lively engines!

Car makers do seem to have some funny times when it comes to getting power from engines, Ford had a 75bhp 1.25 engine in the fiestas back in 1996! - and a 90bhp 1.4 16v aswell, this was SO much better than renault at the time, they were still using 8v(and still do use useless 1.2 8v lumps of turd)
But like you say, now ford do until recently anyway)have a 1.4 with 75bhp in a heavier car, wheres the sence in that?!
Or the Rs2000 that had a 150bhp 2.0 16v back in 1992, but still only have this much power from the 2.0 16v now. The st150 fiesta is only 150bhp but for they decided that for a reason - insurance, cost to make etc as they can quite easily get more power if they need to from the engines if they want.