ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

renault = money = stress

Clio Sport 172
starting to hate my 172. Went to renault today to have the bottom tensioner and aux belt fitted and after 3 hours they phoned and told me the top tensioner is also nacked,

total cost of job is £55 bottom tensioner, £25 belt, £200 labour and £154 for top tensioner £434, with nothing to show off LOL

If you get a grinding or whistling noise from the engine it has the chance to be both of these tensioners. This really shouldn happen after 62000 miles

i hate my car too right now.. im at the point where i cant wait to get rid of it.. that seems just wrong.

A well built VW
I love my wee clio sorry to be selling it...

In 3 years of ownership it has cost me a total of £30 in MOT repairs (bulbs and wiperblades) I have only had to replace the battery and the rear silencer that is it Oh and one service at £125 just to get the stamp

182BG
i bought a 172 cup, but started to get fed up with the noises, so i sold it, bought myself a gti-6. a MONTH later, i sold it and bought and 172cup
I just missed it to much.

Clio Sport 172
edde said:
The tensioner arn''t that good you should replace them anyway when you have the belts done.

hmmm i had a vw passat and they dont need replaced EVER lol. The tensioner i understand but the bottom pulley shouldnt need replaced though after 60,000 miles :D

Loopy said:
hmmm i had a vw passat and they dont need replaced EVER lol. The tensioner i understand but the bottom pulley shouldnt need replaced though after 60,000 miles :D
This is a Renault the Frenchies don't build things like the Germanys (not always a negative). If the Germans had built the car it wouldn't be the same personality which I feel is great even if you have to accept there comprimises. I wish they'd let Honda give them an engine and gearbox though that would have been a good step in the right direction.

VX220, Mini, Primera
If the Germans had built it, it would have weighed 1500kg and hence wouldn't have gone anything like as well in a straight line let alone round corners.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Mines starting to rattle, My Nearside xenon is now non adjustin, THe temp reads 51deg. Apart from that she's loveable.

Megane R26
Loopy what exactly is the noise, as my mk1 172 has just started creating the gayest of noises :/ Sounds like its coming from the aux belt, louder and clear when listening from the drivers side front wheel than the engine bay, sounds like a whisteling, builds in conjunction with the revs. Bloke who did my cambelt is going to look at it on saturday, so reckon it is the tensioners? (sp?)

Cheers

Clio Sport 172
MrStabby said:
Loopy what exactly is the noise, as my mk1 172 has just started creating the gayest of noises :/ Sounds like its coming from the aux belt, louder and clear when listening from the drivers side front wheel than the engine bay, sounds like a whisteling, builds in conjunction with the revs. Bloke who did my cambelt is going to look at it on saturday, so reckon it is the tensioners? (sp?)

Cheers

Yeh thats exactly the same as mine, it gonna be the bottom tensioner and the aux belt has to be changed. Also hope that the top tensioner dont need replaced. I will post the part numbers tommorrow

Clio Sport 172
mattcave said:
If the Germans had built it, it would have weighed 1500kg and hence wouldn't have gone anything like as well in a straight line let alone round corners.

LOL i wish thats was true but mine was the 20v turbo and pushed 380hp and to be honest it would have whipped the clio all day long on cornering with the coilover set up it had

awesome car, still love the clio though cos its so much cheaper to run LOl

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
MrStabby said:

Cheers
how much did that guy charge u m8 for ther cam belt? he was a mobile renault specilist?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Which tensioners get replaced, if any, if you use the full cambelt kit (the 120 quid job) from renault?