ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

renault test day - results.

307 hdi (powered by derv)

Just returned home after a Renault test drive day at Kemble air field and a great day has been had. These are my opinions of the cars I drove

10:30 Clio 1.6 16v - disappointed with it, felt very slow to respond but ok when up to speed

11:30 scenic driving skills – brilliant handles very well for a people carrier.

12:00 Clio 1.4 16v – same as 1.6 16v

12:30 megane 1.6 16v – very impressed. Responded a lot better than 1.6 Clio and seemed quicker. Handling and drive quality was great. Lots of gadgets and cubby holes.

1:00 4x4 kangoo 1.5 dci – great little motor and lots of space. Very nippy.

1:30 scenic 19.dci – this was a shock to the system. Performance, handling gadgets and quality were out of this world. I have always looked down upon people carriers but this changed my views. Sat nav is cool and it is funny listening to the woman go mad when u don’t turn.

2:00 megane 1.9 dci driving skills – very good again, good to test out the EBD.

3:00 espace 2.2 dci – Quite nippy, very spacious, lots of gizmos. I sat I the back with feet up it is that huge. Handling was ok considering it is massive.

My favourite cars of the day were:

1) 1.6 16v megane and 1.9 dci scenic

2) megane 1.9 dci

3) scenic

4) espace 2.2 dci

5) Clio 1.6

6) kangoo 1.5 dci

7) Clio 1.4

I wish now want a megane but my car is on finance, is there anyway I could swap finance over onto another car?

Shaw

Citroen C2 VTS HDi

Compared to my VTS the Clio was dissapointing, very dissapointing, the Megane made up for it a little bit, but the Scenic & Espace were amazing for people carriers, good acceleration and good handling although the Espace was the size of a barge :D

Citroen C2 VTS HDi

To be fair, I reckon Shaws 1.2 wasnt that much slower than the 1.4/1.6 Id have expected a resonable difference in pull

So no decent cars were driven on the day then?

Surely a school run or sunday tesco shop would have been a better test for these cars. No disrespect but disused airfields and tracks should see a valver at the least 172 is king on these surfaces.

What were renault thinking? speaking of airfields you get the old petrol heads interested then you throw in a couple of mild hatches and even milder MPVs. crazy talk!

it was based at airfield but we test drove on public roads so we werent just going up as straight.

Quote: Originally posted by clioman on 25 July 2004

I wish now want a megane but my car is on finance, is there anyway I could swap finance over onto another car?
Yep talk to your Renault dealership they will fix the paperwork they will work out how much your car is worth and then take away the amount you need to finish the loan (your likely to end up owning money). They will use this figure and add it to the price of a Megan etc and then finance the Megan.

Its complicated but any dealership should be able to do it.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

Quote: Originally posted by Sy Gregg on 25 July 2004

To be fair, I reckon Shaws 1.2 wasnt that much slower than the 1.4/1.6 Id have expected a resonable difference in pull
Ive driven a 1.2 16v and my 1.4 16v and i can say that the difference is quite large. my car pulls alot harder, the steering is heavier, and the 1st to 2nd gear change is more minging (on the 1.4!)

The differences between the 1.4 and 1.6s Isnt as large IMO, after racing with one today at 120ish

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

As mentioned, where were the decent cars!? Sounds like a bit of a let down, I wouldnt get out of bed to drive any of those cars/mpvs LOL.

I got an invite to one of these aswell at Duxford. Didnt go as it was all the same boring cars clioman listed. Infact, why are we even talking about them on a cliosport forum?

I dont know why you have all got this impressions that they are boring. They were nice cars and just coz they are not lowered or turbod it doesnt mean there boring.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

Clioman said:

My favourite cars of the day were:

1) 1.6 16v megane and 1.9 dci scenic

2) megane 1.9 dci

3) scenic

4) espace 2.2 dci

5) Clio 1.6

6) kangoo 1.5 dci

7) Clio 1.4

dCis! - surprised at how good they are??

a 16V (unless VERY BIG like 182) will NEVER have the mid-range of a D!

the dcis suprised me, the thought the scenic was petrol coz it was so silent and performing. I then got out the car and saw that it was a dci.

It isnt just performance my decsiions were made on, it was all round: performance, gadgets,enjoyment, practability.

I guess it really depends on what you drive when doing comparisions. My cars a 1.6 16V coupe and ive driven the 1.5 and 1.9dci meganes

I have to say I hate them. The engine and ride a both refined and quiet and grip is good but the chassis is wollowy and does very little to smooth out bumps in the road.

True the inital torque is good..but it very quickly runs out of steam. The new megane also lack a whole load of steering input they feel overly servoed which make plaing them on the road difficult...i dont think that new adaptive steering is as good for the performance driver. The brakes although stop the car well...do so with the action of a switch...i.e they grab. you cant feel them at all.....one millimeter youre moving next you are wrenching the seat belt from your neck.

You may gather i dont like them.

You would think that at the end of the day they would allow you to try

The 182

The 225 Megane

And even the V6....

I suppose the purpose of these sessions is to allow serious normal drivers to try out the range and at the end off the day renault make another sale.... if they compare their normal products with the top of the range spoprt models the most people will think the mid range products are crap and wont buy them.

Citroen C2 VTS HDi

Yep the dCis did impress they have good usable power. I said to Shaw most of you lot wouldnt be interested, but it was a good experience for when family needs arise

Quote: Originally posted by S2 PTH on 25 July 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Sy Gregg on 25 July 2004

Ive driven a 1.2 16v and my 1.4 16v and i can say that the difference is quite large. my car pulls alot harder, the steering is heavier, and the 1st to 2nd gear change is more minging (on the 1.4!)

The differences between the 1.4 and 1.6s Isnt as large IMO, after racing with one today at 120ish

This one must have been f**ked then cos my old westy felt quicker than the clio.