ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renaultsport Reliability

Ad

MK2 FRS
My recent expierence with unreliabilty, got me thinking of why I have such a low opinion of renault reliability. I had two 1.2 clios previous to my 172. It was after the 172 that i swore id never have another which i did. lol. But then it got me thinking of what actually went wrong with the 172:

Drivers seat cover (split)
Steeringwheel (split)
Gearknob (leather came off)
Alloy wheel centre cap (peeled)
Boot lock (failed)
Drivers door lock (failed)
Climate control fans and control (failed)
rear Exhaust braket (rubber failed)
back box (corrosion)
centre section (X3) (split X2 4k rattle X1)
Cat (X2) (as above)
exhaust shield (4k rattle)
Lamda sensor (light on dash)
Headlamp (water ingress)
Headlamp washer (1 leaking one missing ball thing)
Xenon charger unit (failed)
Auto headlamp adjuster (failed)
NS CV boot and drive shaft (failed)
Rear shocker (failed)
Partial wire loom (fault that couldnt be traced)
Rear light connector (water ingress)
Split air con drain (flooded interior of car, was never compensated for damage belongings)
New battery (under warranty)
Cam belt and tension kit ( failed tensioner, although never got the true answer to what they did)
New glovebox door (warped so light inside stayed on all of the time)
Door hinge on drivers side.

I owned it form 5k to 55k for two years....Always serviced on time (although i would dread the service report shee) and maintained regardless of cost. So after all that consideration, i probably would not buy a newish renault again.

Anyone had worse, i have not included stuff like the top mount fix etc, which didnt have parts, just a trip to the dealer.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Boot lock seizing, wheel bearings all round and an engine mount is the only problem ive had in 50000 miles,

edit: thats not right

exhaust fell off
gearbox mount
new fob
new switch in o/s window

Last edited:

Ad

MK2 FRS
Boot lock seizing, wheel bearings all round and an engine mount is the only problem ive had in 50000 miles,

exhaust fell off
gearbox mount
new fob
new switch in o/s window

lol some of the above are special FF bits which cant go wrong on a cup.;)

Clio 172 mk2
That's a big list:(

I've had my 02 172 for two years now and TBH it's been pretty good......so far anyway.

Ad

MK2 FRS
it is pretty extreme... my 182 had had nothing in 13k, but i didnt get to discover how it would have lasted....

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3

exhaust fell off
gearbox mount
new fob
new switch in o/s window

lol some of the above are special FF bits which cant go wrong on a cup.;)

Hey, i'm stiff chuffed when i press the down button on the drivers side, it goes all the way down, as if by magic and it still works lol

Civic Type-R
Apart from my exhaust falling off after 2 weeks of having it my 172 has been very good. Had it for just over 2 years now and 28k miles.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Fcuk me mate . Talk about bad luck . Must be the most repaired RS in history , lol . I had my 172 from new for 4 years 48k on the clock and the only thing that went wrong was the leccy window regulator and the usual backbox / exhaust dropping to bits after 30k. So far so good with my 182 , 14 months old and the only problem was some squeaking when driving from cold . Dealership tightened up some bolts on the subframe and touch wood its been ok since ;)

Tangoed Works
My 182 is nearly 2 years old, now on 34k. Only probs so far was melted steering wheel and creaking noise, both fixed under warranty.

Started on button everytime even after being left standing for 2.5 weeks at one point.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I had mine 18 months. All it needed was some HT leads as they melted.

Other than routine servicing and mods, it needed nothing else.

106 GTi
The luck of the draw, did you get Monday car or Friday car, it is as simple as that with French Motors!

Titanium 255 V6
And German!! I had an 03 Golf R32 with huge problems (and it still has....hence I got shot and traded it for the vee). Fingers crossed with the Vee....

polo, here for lols
i hav had a failed alternator, passenger interior door handle came off and the sun roof has broken and wont stay open

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
lol

i did 47k in my ph1 172 and all i had to replace is a window reg. it was serviced on time etc also

the 182's been fine so far too.

I've had under warranty:

New centre section, back box and mount
New Steering wheel from the grips falling off (the latest one 12 months old is peeling)
3x Rear calliper kits
New rear callipers (I had to pay for the new discs and pads though)
Gearbox Mount
Thermostat Fan Thing
and to top it off a new number plate bulb!

Nah b****cks to the never moving theory, Im the complete opposite of Rich's car.

53k and hand on heart and touches a big piece of wood its been faultless. Never let me down once. I had a o2 sensor done under warranty and ball joint.

So far I have been good.

Owned my 182 for 18 months, bought with 11000 on the clock now done 21000. no faults as of yet, just had to replace tyres.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Stering wheel rubbers split, O2 sensor, rear shock, wheel bearing, new exhaust. Not bad for 70k. Nice and tight too ;) Obviously not including service items.

Deja vu 182
Tappets changed , strut top creak , driveshaft , c/c pack , puddle in n/s footwell (lose grommet) , driver seat wouldn t tilt forward , cd player would n t read cds , steering rubber split in eight months of ownership bought with 28000 on clock now on 31000 . But i still enjoy driving it .:)