ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renaultsport "roadmap" - when should i upgrade?

GW200 FF
Hi Folks,

Currently the proud owner of a 55 plate RB182 cup with 40K miles on it. Bought it n Feb 09 and have been quite happy with the car. However, after spending too long on here mooching at the newer shape cars i'd like to change sometime. Also weighing on my mind is the s/h market for Clios as good examples of a cup going for about 5k. I think mine is probably worth about that and its had the belts done at a renault dealer which seems to be an important aspect. Also has aftermarket recaros in decent condition which adds a bit of value.

My question is really about depreciation on 197 / 200's. I'm starting to see examples of 57 plate 197's coming in about 8k so a potential changeover cost of 3k which i could live with, or is it worth hanging onto the 182 for a bit longer and waiting on the secondhand market for the 200's becoming affordable i.e. sub 10k?

I'm not sold on getting rid of the 182 cup as i really enjoy driving it but at the same time if there is a tipping point on the depreciation i'd like to move on before the car markedly loses value.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Its all relative. If the 197/200 prices drop then so will the 182.

If you want to change it, change it. £3k isn't worth worrying about in the grand scheme of things. Although my only advice is whatever you buy, make sure you get one in a good re-sellable colour and one with a few options on it.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I would be more realistic with your values. £5k while possible, is highly improbable.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
So you think you'll get 5k for your 182?

Hmm even on low miles I think that's more trader's price.

Listerine & Poledo
In all fairness, that seller is under the illusion that modifying a car adds value.

FALSE!: Mods remove value and reduce the number of potential buyers.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Isn't it the age old "everyone on CS wants evrything for nothing".

I remember the jew blabbing about it years ago! I still wouldn't pay 5k for the dudes car though! :eek:

GW200 FF
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I wrote that post with very little real idea of how much the car is worth and I've done some more research at both ends of the spectrum. I agree the 8k 197’s are not desirable examples though. You live and learn J

Despite my wording above I don’t think I’m under an illusion that mods add value - either the recaros are going to make the car more attractive to buy or they aren't. If they aren't then come sale time I might as well px them for regular seats but I can't see how two similar cars side by side - one with recaro's and one without - could be priced the same?

The asset depreciates as a whole so whilst I agree that you can’t say “my car was bought for 4k and I spent 4k on mods so it must be worth 8k” you can’t turn the argument on its head and say its only worth 4k regardless of mods – it depends entirely on what someone is prepared to pay for it. If the complete package is at the right price then it will sell.

I am (more) concerned about the depreciation of clios tbh and i wonder if there is any truth in the sentiment of Gally's comment? If clio enthusiasts devalue their own cars it doesn’t make much sense. Similarly, being wildly optimistic about their value doesn’t help either - i take that point too. Either way i guess the market will decide but its always easier to haggle down from a high starting point ;)

rambling now so i'm off.