ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repair costs estimate

Hi, need some advice please.

Just bought a cup off the forum, brought it out to Germany where i work, put it through the German MoT and it failed on about 8 points despite having passed the UK MoT with only one advisory 3 weeks ago!

I've taken it to a recommended garage and been estimated 1600 euro to repair! Not happy! As i've had bad experience before with German garages and because i don't know much about cars i'd really appreciate advice as to whether the quote is in the right ball park:

Both rear brake discs approx £130
Both rear brake pads approx £50
Brake pressure regulator approx £300
Carrying joint (sorry bad translation i think - problem with rear axle?) approx £60
Barrel bearing (again sorry bad translation) approx £80 (reckon 3 hours labour)
A couple of other minor jobs approx £100

Parts total is approx £850 (incl. tax)
Labour total is approx 9 hours or approx £400

Can anyone let me know if the above sounds okay or am i being rinsed!

Thanks.

Lionel Richie
i'm moving my garage to germany!

that's VERY expenive!

rear pads are £20
read discs £100

zee germans obviously don't know about the cups, why are you regstering it out there, leave it on english plates and you won't have an issue then

With my limited German that is my understanding for one of the German Mot fails, because there is little rear brake effort. The mechanic is recommending replacing what he calls the 'rear brake regulator' but if this is a known problem on the cup is it going to make any difference.....?? Pls help need to let mechanic know whether to proceed or not on Monday and am looking at a big bill at the moment.

Westy. MX5
Unfortunatley for you the German test system won't recognise the English Vosa test allowances for the Cup rear brakes. Changing the pads and brake compensator will improve things marginally but as for passing the German test is another thing entirely. Good luck and hope it does not bankrupt you.