ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repairable? or Write off?

If his insurance company pays out even though there are undeclared alloys on a car that comes with steel wheels as standard, I want to know who they are so I can go with them at renewal.

Direct Line were my insurer when they done it for me

lift number 1 @ btm
Some insurance companies will work out what the premium should have been and back date the charges.

He might notice them and void his claim and then he'll get a big bill from the council for the sign.

He might notice them and think they didn't cause the accident so ignore it.

He might not notice.

NONE of us know any of that. It might depened on whether he had a row with his wife in the morning before or he left vs her sucking him off as to what he does.

But for the doubters saying it won't ever happen.. read this..

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70252

Leon Cupra 300
If you slammed your brakes hard and still hit the lampost then I think you were going far too fast in the first place.

Your just coming up to a roundabout and just came over a speed bump and yet you still can't stop in time with the brakes hard on?

Shut up you div

Ph1 172.
Thanks everyone for the insights, but there are some people on here that are, incosiderate

I think in all honesty lots of people are trying to make you aware of the facts, not be inconsiderate. Saying you thought it was okay to have undeclared alloys on the car beuase they were 15s or that you " thought it came like that as standard" are unlikely to be accepted by insurers who don't WANT to payout. They will use anything they can to avoid paying out on the policy. You might get lucky the assessor might not notice them, but then again the assessor might and then you will have a crash damaged car and possibly a bill from the council for the lamp post that the insurer won't pay for and you will. They are only trying to help you out, however you don't have to take their help and you can carry on as you are if you wish.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
Here's my experience of my claim, had a full exhaust system on my car and 3 points I hadn't told them about and Churchill still payed out. The guy came to my house and asked for my licience and I said I had 3 points undeclared and he said no worries. Lol points came after renewal though. Mine wasn't repaired though so dunno if extra checks are done if your car is repairable.

e92 330i
My thoughts, as if you claim, your insurance will hurt, forever:

1. New bumper
2. New bonnet
3. New headlight
4. Some filler
5. Remove conscience
6. Place on Autotrader. Cheap.
7. 99% of the public will not notice its been binned.

1st class ticket to hell please.

Headlamp looks ok imo

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
There's quite a bit of pish getting posted in here likes!

I have to laugh.

I can't even quote the amount of posts that are so wrong.

Sorry mate, give me a PM hopefully I can help you out bit better.

Good luck.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'd not go through insurance. I'd do something like sir dave said. If the subframe is ok, its only panel damage/and a few bolt in things. Be cheaper to source 2nd hand parts.....

Also this whole alloy thing is way out of proportion imo. I work with a lad who a few years ago had a boggo 1.2 Clio. It was lowered, aftermarket exhaust/alloys. Cut a long story short he ran over some (chav)..... up the bonnet bent the roof etc. Chav was ok, so the CS PC police can sleep easy. Anyway, full pay out. Mods not declared. I also had a Punto GT that back in the day was lowered, full scorpion system. Bent the rear quarter backing into a lamp post. That also got repaired. Go figure? The Cup is fully declared btw ;)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I know a guy that lost £13k on a CTR because he didn't declare stuff, iirc he's still paying it off.

I spoke to a girl last week who is paying off a 4k car loan with no car now after writing off her 206 with non standard alloys wheels.

As Revels said it might happen, it might not.

Ad

MK2 FRS
I know a guy that lost £13k on a CTR because he didn't declare stuff, iirc he's still paying it off.

I spoke to a girl last week who is paying off a 4k car loan with no car now after writing off her 206 with non standard alloys wheels.

There is no getting away from the fact it just isn't worth gambling for sure.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

Not a gamble i would want to take! Thats for sure.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I would never gamble on it.

Funnily enough that girl I spoke to the other day had a set of after market wheels in the back of her new car.

Obviously she has not learned all her lesson as she obviously swapped them after the accident and then put them in the boot!

She already pissed 4k away and now she's not declared another set to the insurance!

Ah Woman Logic!

Fiesta ST2
I crashed my old car after putting on my K&N and being too lazy to declare it.. I left the big K&N sticker under the bonnet the insurance co still paid out.. would never risk not delcaring mods again.. the stress it caused was pointless

Westy. MX5
I can't see an insurance co. not paying out just for having the non OE wheels, after all they are Renault ones and would probably been an option/accessory when the car was new. Any subsequent owner would not know this. If there were some other mods that were obviously not a Renault made part then the insurance co. would have some questions to ask, but again they can be put down to a previous owner and you bought the car unknowingly. Go through the insurance Hussain , you'll be ok.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The olde I didn't know they were standard doesn't wash as much anymore, maybe 5-10 years ago but no these days.

There are also not Renault items.

The OP has already admitted to knowing they were non standard but because they were the same size he thought they would be fine.

I suppose it just depends on the company. More Than Insurance aren't interested in cosmetic mods unless the increase the performance of the car. I declared my alloys and suspension, which made no impact on the premuim. The exhaust added a few quid on though.

Westy. MX5
The olde I didn't know they were standard doesn't wash as much anymore, maybe 5-10 years ago but no these days.

There are also not Renault items.

The OP has already admitted to knowing they were non standard but because they were the same size he thought they would be fine.
He could stick some Renault badges on them and in all innocence assume they are Renault's. He hasn't had the car very long I believe, not a problem then. The most that could happen is the insurance co. would not pay for wheels to be repaired. It's hardly a performance mod on a 1.2

Navara, MGTF,307,KA
when does this fella find out if hes gonna get paid? would like to know if they pay out after all this void insurance chit chat :) quite a funny read

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
He could stick some Renault badges on them and in all innocence assume they are Renault's. He hasn't had the car very long I believe, not a problem then. The most that could happen is the insurance co. would not pay for wheels to be repaired. It's hardly a performance mod on a 1.2
It's nothing to do with it being a performance mod.

You didn't insure your car with those items on it, therefore it's void. In black and white.

Although if they are in a good mood they will let you pay the additional premium for the months/years you have been inusred with them.

Clio MK 4
when someone went into mine and wrote mine off her insurance didn't care whether my mods were declared or not. They were btw but i was suprised they wouldnt have cared.

182 ff
10 days lol classic

regarding the wheels it might become a issue had the insurance company try telling me my 172 cup wheels were not standard and why didnt i have abs ???? i was like u insured the car and i told u what it was

needless to say after 6 months i got paid out !

if u change the colour of ur pants id let the insurance company know they will try everything to screw u over usless ur insured by one of the biggys directline etc etc

Do a couple of online quotes; one without a claim against you and one with. Pretty sure it won't be tenfold or anything like it.

clio sport f1 r27
When I had an accident years ago, my car had a full stainless exhaust and spax suspension kit in bright yellow. I hadn't declared this to my insurance. I sweated about it for when the insurance assesor went to see it, but he said nothing and the car was repaired by my insurance company.

I think it just depends who comes to look at it, and if they even give a sh1t that it has non standard wheels.

Ur lucky then directline void my claim 17" wheels ss Zorst and lowerd 60mm, lost 5.5k on car had to pay for the courtesy car they gave me and they tried to make me pay for car I wrote off to luckily it was worth £600 but bumped it and never herd anything